Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just cracked my TV stand, can I glue it?

• 05-02-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

I have a Samsung 32 inch TV which has snapped at the join between the base plate and the TV, like the below

L6pz0yO.jpg

The break is really uneven, seems to be all plastic down there, I was thinking, could I just cover it in Gorilla glue or some ultra loctite superglue, hold the TV in position until it sets and it will do (I won't be touching the TV)

Or

do I need to order a new stand altogether?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Hmmm, now might be the time to wall mount it.
    Plastic is hard to glue allowing for the weight strain a tv will put on it. I imagine a direct replacement might cost a bit from the manufacturer but asking some TV shops might yield a used one from an unrepairable thats in a skip for collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi OP it's fit for the bin but maybe if you put up a thread with the make and model and see if anyone has a stand they don't want.
    I just bought a 32" Walker LED and put up on a wall bracket.

Maybe do the same and TV won't fall or get damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Its one of these
    http://www.samsung.com/nl/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/tv-archive/LE32B550A5PXXN

Samsung le32b550a5p

This is the stand itself
    http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/BN61-04988X-SAMSUNG-LE32B550-TABLETOP-STAND-/150920763393?pt=UK_Home_Garden_LivingRoom_TV_Furniture&hash=item2323941801

And this is the "neck" within the stand that is broken
    http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Samsung-LE32B551A6W-LCD-TV-Genuine-Guide-Stand-Neck-/200662793957?pt=UK_Home_Garden_LivingRoom_TV_Furniture&hash=item2eb86f3ee5

It's definitely replaceable (at a cost)

That plastic neck is broken, crooked, however the other part "sits" into it. I feel that if I glue it with something strong it can "sit" there (obviously I would have to be careful moving it etc)

I mean I think I might as well try the glue method first.. any suggestions on the world's strongest glue?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

JB Weld is very good but hard to get, Plastic Padding Chemical Metal is also very good and more readily available.

As others have said though, not sure id bet my TV on it or any glue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I wouldn't chance glue. It's a 32" TV weighing about 10kg, you'd be surprised how much bending force the joint would be under. It might be fine for a while but I wouldn't want to risk waking up some night to the sound of the TV crashing to the floor

However if you insist on bonding it you'll need to find out what type of plastic it is and get a suitable glue.
    For example Gorilla glue is not suitable for polyethylene or polypropylene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Personally I wouldnt glue it.

I would wall mount if possible, or ask nicely for one from someone has wall mounted it and left the stand sitting in a box somewhere. There must be loads of them not being used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Wall mount it.

32 inch Hannspree wall mounted with an Ikea flat plate wall mount system (built in spirit level).

Its a quick release system...you pull down on 2 spring loaded tabs,and you can lift the TV off the wall mount just like that.

Fantastic bit of kit.:D

30 euro for the Ikea universal wall mount kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

paddy147 wrote: »
    Wall mount it.

32 inch Hannspree wall mounted with an Ikea flat plate wall mount system (built in spirit level).

Its a quick release system...you pull down on 2 spring loaded tabs,and you can lift the TV off the wall mount just like that.

Fantastic bit of kit.:D

30 euro for the Ikea universal wall mount kit

Paddy from the fixings I take it your screwing it to a wall that is against an outter wall. What if you want to fix the tv to an interior wall between rooms. Like the modern cheap builds where you just have the plaster board then cavity then plaster board again (no insulation)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Paddy from the fixings I take it your screwing it to a wall that is against an outter wall. What if you want to fix the tv to an interior wall between rooms. Like the modern cheap builds where you just have the plaster board then cavity then plaster board again (no insulation)

You can buy the spring loaded and expanding metal fittings that will take 20kgs of weight each.

Push them in and then they spring open (or expand outwards) behind the plasterboard and grip it.

When you screw the screw into them,they contract and pull inwards on the back of the plasterboard.

One the screw is screwed tight,the only way its comming out is if you smack a hole in the plasterboard and ripp it out.;):D

PS-Try to locate and screw directly into at least one of the internal wall studs/noggins with a 50mm woodscrew 1st though.

This will give you a more secure holding on the wall.

Advertisement