Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Friendly Gelatin

Options
  • 05-02-2013 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi guys, working on a project for college and I'm wondering if I could get some personal insights on this!

What's the your opinion on foods containing vegan friendly gelatin (both as a product itself and its inclusion in foods), regarding availability, price, variety etc... Any insights would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I don't really buy much stuff that might have gelatine added, but I noticed in M&S they have these little fruit jelly pots just made with carrageenan. I think the higher-end grocers like M&S are more conscious of the veg or halal/kosher friendly nature of their stuff.

It's a bit annoying that most of the mousse type things still seem to be made with gelatine. Also desserts in restaurants are problematic, since it's very difficult to tell just from a description, and unless it's marked on the menu, you can't always trust that the staff won't give you a clueless answer.

I think I'd only get vegan gelatine if I was baking or something so it's not something I would buy in and of itself.

I don't often eat the kind of things that might contain Gelatine.
    I really really miss cola bottles. The only veg*n ones I have tried. Are cement like.
    A range of nice veg*n gummy sweets would be legend.

I think realistically, if you wanted to get into restaurants and products. It would have to have a significant price advantage over Gelatine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

yeah I miss the haribo jellies and jelly babies. Probably one of the few foods I miss, not that I'd want to eat them everyday or anything, but every now and then I get a goo on me for a dose of cola bottles or jelly babies!

I have used the Dr Otker vegegel- not sure if its vegan, but its veggie anyway. Not bad, I used it to make jelly for a trifle, eh a trife, not rum shots or anything ;). Took a bit longer to set than leaf gelatin, but worked fine. Can't remember the price but it wasn't particulary expensive or I would remember. It can be hard to get so when I do see it I tend to stock up. AGain, not something I would use very often, but good to have in the cupboard.

Haven't used it to set anything else other than jelly as TBH I am so long making things in alternative ways as they need leaf gelatine that I can usually manage without by using egg or fruit pectin or something else to help it set (for eg cheese cakes or lemon merangue filling or mousses etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'm not totally sure what I'm supposed to be answering here but I don't think vegetarian gelatin compromises the taste or quality of food if that's what you mean. Jellies made from pectin are lovely, I would prefer them than gelatin ones, but I definitely don't miss jellies or anything. Ive never had much need for using veggie gelatin when cooking but you can get dr. oetkers vege-gel or agar agar as a replacement and they work well.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    I really really miss cola bottles. The only veg*n ones I have tried. Are cement like.

I think realistically, if you wanted to get into restaurants and products. It would have to have a significant price advantage over Gelatine.

you jelly?

AD0G8My.jpg

These are amazin, the texture and taste is so good, granted they are dear to buy online, but that was P's small present for today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Moonbaby wrote: »

why you say veg*n it makes it seems like vegan is a dirty word. lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement