Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing on the river Deel

Options
  • 05-02-2013 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where the best spots are? with a place to park preferably.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not been a great stretch in recent years. You do need a permit to fish legally along it, and am pretty sure that the game fishing season for the Deel is a few weeks off opening yet. For some reason I have the 15th or 16th of Febuary in my head for the opening of the brown trout season there.

Bleach Lough nearby is a lovely fishery with a good stock of trout (rainbow and brown) and coarse fish. The rainbow season started there at the start of this month and there are some very big trout there. Day permits or season long permits can be bought for Bleach lough.

http://www.bleachloughanglers.ie/index.html

I am mostly a pike and coarse man, so my game knowledge may be a bit sketchy.

Might send this thread over to the fishing forum though, as you would get more replies there from some very knowlegeable folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not been a great stretch in recent years. You do need a permit to fish legally along it, and am pretty sure that the game fishing season for the Deel is a few weeks off opening yet. For some reason I have the 15th or 16th of Febuary in my head for the opening of the brown trout season there.

Bleach Lough nearby is a lovely fishery with a good stock of trout (rainbow and brown) and coarse fish. The rainbow season started there at the start of this month and there are some very big trout there. Day permits or season long permits can be bought for Bleach lough.

http://www.bleachloughanglers.ie/index.html

I am mostly a pike and coarse man, so my game knowledge may be a bit sketchy.

Might send this thread over to the fishing forum though, as you would get more replies there from some very knowlegeable folk.

I got a permit today, the season open on the 15th. Access and places to park seem to be an issue, I scouted it out on google street view. The only place where access seems to be easy is Castlemahon.

I will look into Bleach lough, thanks for the tip. Is Glasha any good? I am a complete novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I got a permit today, the season open on the 15th. Access and places to park seem to be an issue, I scouted it out on google street view. The only place where access seems to be easy is Castlemahon.

I will look into Bleach lough, thanks for the tip. Is Glasha any good? I am a complete novice.

Glasha lake? Only tried it once and that was a couple of years back. Much prefer Bleach lough to it, and I think that is why I never went back to Glasha. I like the set up at Bleach lough and although it is small, it has some cracking pike there (which is what would attract me).

One little river in that neck of the woods that was good some years back is the White river. Probably been years since I fished it, but it had some lovely brownies and sea trout back then. Passed through Ballyhahill about two years back and stopped to look at the river. There were a number of jumps further down the river that day, along with a few brownies hanging around by the bridge. Easy river to fish as well thanks to some very open banks in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 patrickconway

Fly Fishing? Kilcoole bridge and new bridge are pretty good spots.

Parking is side of the road, but its safe enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tadhgt

i saw something on the web anglersfriend.com has it got something to do with buying permits on line

• Advertisement
Advertisement