Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm for rented house - who pays?

Options
  • 05-02-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,
    renting a newly built house that is wired for an alarm. Wish to get one installed and am wondering if the landlord generally pays. It's expensive and i just don't have the cash. The contract doesn't clear it up, but what it does say is that landlord is responsible for house insurance (excluding contents). Appreciate any info.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if you want an alarm and there isnt one there you pay for it.

the LL might split the cost with you if you discuss it as hes getting the benefit of it but hes under no obligation to pay anything

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Was the property advertised or were you otherwise told there was an alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The landlord is not obliged to provide an alarm, so its really up to them if they want to pay for it or not. If they dont wish to then theres not much you can do other than pay for it out of your own pocket (not really sure why you would want to do that though for a rented property).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Alarms are pretty useless anyway. No way a Landlord is going to do it. I am surprised anybody would even ask

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

We were in our current place for about eight months when I requested an alarm due to a spate of burglaries in the area.

The LL obliged and had one installed. A basic wireless one but an alarm nonetheless - most important bit for me is the intruder alarm when we're in the house.

Think he wanted to keep good tenants. He's a very decent guy (I know we're lucky).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Alarms are pretty useless anyway. No way a Landlord is going to do it. I am surprised anybody would even ask

The house is a new build. So if the landlord had the place wired for an alarm system, it stands to reason that he intended to put one in at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Depends on whether it's a siren alarm (which most people ignore these days) or a monitored alarm, which imho is genuinely more useful. If the landlord has put any reasonable money into furnishing the property (eg TV etc), then it's not entirely unreasonable for the landlord to protect their investment in this way.

One of the reasons that the OP may be asking is that, if you're trying to get contents insurance, many insurers will ask whether or not the property has an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Depends on whether it's a siren alarm (which most people ignore these days) or a monitored alarm, which imho is genuinely more useful. If the landlord has put any reasonable money into furnishing the property (eg TV etc), then it's not entirely unreasonable for the landlord to protect their investment in this way.

One of the reasons that the OP may be asking is that, if you're trying to get contents insurance, many insurers will ask whether or not the property has an alarm.
    The OP wants the LL to pay, do you think he will agree a monthly/ yearly monitoring fee?
    Insurers will ask about an alarm for a grand saving of up to €10. Would you pay a few hundred to save a tenant a €10?

Not many burglars steal furniture or low cost tv. Pretty unreasonable request really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Personally, I didn't bother trying to get that saving from the insurance because if the alarm is off then the insurance is invalid. Just didn't want to come home to a burgled house and find out I'd forgotten to set the alarm....

For the OPs question, I'd say you could make a fairly good case to the landlord about splitting the cost. You could say that the alarm will last 10-15 years, he'll get most of the benefit from it, so would he agree to cover 80% of the cost of it? You never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Duiske wrote: »
    The house is a new build. So if the landlord had the place wired for an alarm system, it stands to reason that he intended to put one in at some stage.

Many new builds were pre-wired but the developer. I know my place was.

If the OP wants an alarm, then the OP should be prepared to pay for it. But, no harm asking the landlord and see what is said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Duiske wrote: »

Almost all new builds are wired for alarm systems because it's cheap and easy to do when the house is being built but a pain to do it after. I wouldn't read much into it

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Prizen

have already had an attempted break-in, this is why I am looking to get an alarm. The window was badly damaged, and it luckily is covered under the landlord's insurance. I have the contents insured under my insurance.
    The cost of getting alarms fitted is astronomical imho, quoted at €1200. Does anybody know where the costs lie if the house is already wired???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

They are a good deal cheaper with the house wired. You can get systems that will SMS you if anything happens.

Look in the security forum on boards for advice.

I'd recommend you PM a boardsie called altor, he fits excellent systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

The OP wants the LL to pay, do you think he will agree a monthly/ yearly monitoring fee?
    OP is referring to installation, not monitoring fee obviously.
    Insurers will ask about an alarm for a grand saving of up to €10.
    In my experience it's considerably more than €10.
    Not many burglars steal furniture or low cost tv. Pretty unreasonable request really.
    Opportunists and junkies will steal whatever they can, given an opportunity.

There has already been an attempted break-in. If the OP decides the move out, the landlord will lose revenue. If break-ins are frequent in the area, then some kind of alarm would not be a totally unreasonable investment from the landlord's point of view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Landlord went halves with us in our last house.

In our own house we went for a self-monitored alarm. Managed services are a waste of money, you'll end up getting a call anyway, so cut out the middle man and handle it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I don't think people are overly worried about the value of possessions or insurance premium when getting an alarm. I think it's more the comfort of knowing there is an alarmed perimeter on your house, so you are less likely to wake up and find a scum bag in your kids bedroom.

Advertisement