Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoderDojo Skerries and surrounding area

Options
  • 05-02-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

Just looking to set up coder dojo in and around the skerries area. It's free programming for kids. I have a five year old mad into games / apps / iPads and would like him to see how there built. If your interested send me an email.

I have no plans of yet for location, mentors etc just seeing if any interest first

http://coderdojo.com/
    http://zen.coderdojo.com/dojo/237

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What level of knowledge/experience do kids need to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Is the minimum age not 7 for CoderDoJo?
    I'd certainly be interested when the kids are a bit older here. They're still a bit young though.

No experience required although they do need access to computers at home so that they can practise. Personally I think parental involvement is the key to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

I thought the only two rules were it must be free and their own rule was "be cool" :-)

If I can, I'd be happy to help.

It will depend on schedules and locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Scalman

Yes I don't think there is an age limit, from reviewing it depends on each dojo. Seen one in cork that caters for 10+ and another one that had different tables depending on age group. My lad will be 6 in April so if something does come of this I think 6 is decent age to start with the basics will having fun.

I will be contacting CoderDojo to get this one listed on the main page and also try to do some local advertising to get interest, as below it very early days !!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

I would imagine the schools would be a good place to host it. I think there is some new policy and inititiative within the Department of Education that continual funding is based on the condition that their premises are to be available to clubs etc outside nornal business hours.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Hi

Just bumping this post, got some interest recently and done some more local advertising, help me spread the word and if interested in helping out or your kids taking part please contact me

https://www.facebook.com/FingalCoderDojo
    Fingalcoderdojo@gmail.com
    Twitter @fingalcoderdojo
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Interested in sending the chislers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Yep, would love it for my minecraft loving daughter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

I'm 17 and would be interested in thus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Interested in helping out, been watching the CoderDojo movement for a couple of years now and it has certainly picked up!

Dojo Conference 2 weekends ago in Drogheda was very succesful, so feel free to PM if you're thinking of going ahead with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

What level of experience would you need to be a Mentor? Might be interested in helping out (if I can make it).

Hi

Thanks for the lastest posts, I missed the conference in Drogheda but I have read up on the online presentations. I have received an excellent response to my facebook updates and we should have sufficient numbers to get this up and running.

Can you mail or PM my your mail address as I will be sending out a invite soon to all the parents and people willing to help out.

Thanks
    FingalCoderDojo

FingalCoderdojo@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/fingalcoderdojo

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SabineMcKenna

Hi, Skerries CoderDojo is now going ahead! First meeting for interested volunteers in Joe May's on 27 June 2014, 7 p.m.
    If interested, check it out on the Skerries Community Association website skerriesca.com/coderdojo
    or also on Facebook - SkerriesCoderDojo
    It'd be great if some of you could get involved!
    Sabine

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/skerries-coderdojo-september-2014-tickets-12852184229
    Tiickets will be made available for Skerries Coderdojo tomorrow (Sunday) at 11:30am on the above link.

Advertisement