Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resin driveway

• 05-02-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a resin driveway done and if so what do you think of it. Was it ridiculously expensive compared to other finishes.

This is the kind of thing I am talking about - not that my house is anyway near as fancy as those pictured :D
    http://www.stonedriveways.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi JOs

Ive looked into this I think its a great product, but there is only a few companies who actually install this. I got a price of €4350 for a 50 sq mtr drive with a line of yellow granite paviers around the edge. I wanted to source the materials on their own as I feel comfortable working with resin systems but approaching so many companies I always got the same answer. They sell it in DIY form from the UK but this is very expensive to buy and deliver to ROI. Someone must know where to buy the stone and resin ???

jos28 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a resin driveway done and if so what do you think of it. Was it ridiculously expensive compared to other finishes.

This is the kind of thing I am talking about - not that my house is anyway near as fancy as those pictured :D
    http://www.stonedriveways.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The only bad thing I can see with that product is if you need access to underground utilities in the event of a leaking mains water pipe or a gas leak or if any utility company needs to upgarde existing piping/services.

At least with pavers/flags...you can lift them up very easily,dig down,then refill and put pavers/flags back,brush in a bit of silica sand,and you would be none the wizer.

That wont happen with a resin bonded driveway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

The stone is very abrasive so you'll always have tyre marks from driving on it. They will come off with a power wash though.

If you've kids, even a small trip results in ripped knees and hands.

There doesn't seem to be great drainage with a resin driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks for all the feedback lads. I got a price from a crowd in Newry for a driveway roughly the same size as yours Builditwell. The price was £3000 sterling plus vat :eek: And that was on the basis that the existing concrete was in perfect condition !
    It would be awful if such an expensive driveway had to be lifted to gain access underneath. Glad you pointed out the drainage issues Stoolbend. It's a north facing house at the bottom of a slope and drainage is a problem already. I think I will have to look for plan B, whatever that is. I need to repair a manky concrete driveway, perhaps you all might be good enough to make suggestions if I post up a picture.
    Cheers

Thanks for all the feedback lads. I got a price from a crowd in Newry for a driveway roughly the same size as yours Builditwell. The price was £3000 sterling plus vat :eek: And that was on the basis that the existing concrete was in perfect condition !
    It would be awful if such an expensive driveway had to be lifted to gain access underneath. Glad you pointed out the drainage issues Stoolbend. It's a north facing house at the bottom of a slope and drainage is a problem already. I think I will have to look for plan B, whatever that is. I need to repair a manky concrete driveway, perhaps you all might be good enough to make suggestions if I post up a picture.
    Cheers

Dont be put off by 1 price though.remember its what you want to do with your driveway..at the end of the day.

Heres an option for you,If you are on a tight budget......

Why dont you buy a large quantity of block pavers or flags/slabs from a bulders providers and then only pay labour for a bricky/blocklayer/builder to install it for you.

Some builders providers buy in so much pavers and flags from quarries and stone suppliers,that they are actually cheaper than the manufacturer themselves.

I did this myself with my driveway and then got a builder friend of mine to dig out the old concrete driveway and then fit the pavers and build new 9 inch thick boundary walls and colour render them too.

Worked out very well in the end.:)

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddy, the only thing that would turn me off the block paving is that it would be prone to moss. We never get the sun at the front of the house and my neighbours' are plagued keeping theirs clean.
    You can see the sorry state of the drive from the photo, it is in a dreadful state with the large puddle on the left. It's not helped by the junker (sorry restoration project) that my son owns. A house near us had some really nice large decorative stones compacted onto theirs and it looks great. Do you think that might work

Edit - Apologies for the photo, it wasn't sideways when I uploaded it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

www.resicrete.ie

They did my house internals ,they also do exterior over existing concrete .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

resin driveway? reminds me of an episode of My Name is Earl

Thanks Paddy, the only thing that would turn me off the block paving is that it would be prone to moss. We never get the sun at the front of the house and my neighbours' are plagued keeping theirs clean.
    You can see the sorry state of the drive from the photo, it is in a dreadful state with the large puddle on the left. It's not helped by the junker (sorry restoration project) that my son owns. A house near us had some really nice large decorative stones compacted onto theirs and it looks great. Do you think that might work

Edit - Apologies for the photo, it wasn't sideways when I uploaded it

Get a slight fall/slope put on the block paver driveway (or what ever you go with for that matter).

This will mean water will run from the house down to the roadway and you wont have any mucky puddles to worry about.

Then get a 10 year sealer sprayed onto it.

All driveways will needs some looking after and some sweeping down during the year.

A sweep down with a bulldozer broom and a clean with a power washer will do a driveway good twice a year.

Thanks Paddy, that sounds like a plan. I like the idea of the 10 year seal and I could definitely manage to power hose it a couple of times a year. Have to get something sorted soon, I can't bear to look at it the way it is. First step is to get the son to move that lovely motor ;) Nice photo too, cheers !

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddy, that sounds like a plan. I like the idea of the 10 year seal and I could definitely manage to power hose it a couple of times a year. Have to get something sorted soon, I can't bear to look at it the way it is. First step is to get the son to move that lovely motor ;)Nice photo too, cheers !

No harm in getting a 3 x 2 meter tarpaulin cover in Aldi for 7 euro,and place it on the new driveway below the sons future cars/projects.;)

You dont want engine/gearbox oil,petrol and coolant staining your lovely new surface,and have to be running out with the powerwasher all the time.;):pac:

Advertisement