Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about the Medical card

• 05-02-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone will be able to help me out with this one. I have a medical card and it not up for renewal until July. A couple of years back i was found to have extremely high blood pressure. Back in february after a lot of investigation they have found a blockage in my heart. It took until November last to finally put me on a one years waiting list to get surgery. I recently got married and lost my job seekers allowance so i fear my medical card will be next to go. Things are tight enough as it is without having to pay for heart surgery.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Below are the main options on how you may get a medical card.

Note the one on undue hardship.

Am I Entitled to a Medical Card?
    Anyone over the age of 16 years who is ordinarily resident in the State is entitled to apply for a Medical Card. Ordinarily resident means you are living here for a minimum of one year or you intend to live here for a minimum of one year. You can qualify for a Medical Card under the following three main categories:
    • Means Test: Single People or Families who have an income that is within certain financial guidelines. You can read more about the Medical Card/GP Visit Card Income Guidelines below.
    • Undue Hardship: People whose income is over the financial guidelines, but the HSE decides that the financial burden of medical or other exceptional circumstances would cause undue hardship
    • Automatic: People who are automatically entitled to a Medical Card are:
      Those with European Union entitlement
      Those who are entitled to retain their Medical Card under government schemes
    • Read more about Medical Cards for Over 70s here.

To Qualify for a Medical Card on the Grounds of Hardship
    If your income is above the HSE income guidelines for your circumstances, you may still be entitled to a Medical Card on the grounds that paying for your medical costs causes you undue financial hardship. Such an example would be if you had an ongoing medical condition that required exceptional and regular medical treatment, or visits to the doctor or hospital.

If the cost of this would cause you undue financial hardship, then you may get a card on these grounds. The HSE always considers other exceptional circumstances where a person or family has personal or social issues causing undue financial hardship. The card may be granted for the whole family, or for individual members of a family on the grounds of undue financial hardship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Even if you don't get to keep your medical card you will be treated as a public patient. There is no charge for the operation and overnight stays in hospital are €75 a night up to a yearly max of €750 a family. I know it's still a significant amount of money but no hospital will look for money upfront and they will allow a payment plan if it comes to that point.

Advertisement