Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

consumer rights on a VISA debit card?

Options
  • 05-02-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭

does the new visa debit cards offer any consumer protection like credit cards do on purchases?

example if a buiness goes bust etc , you have some protection if you bought your goods with a credit card. Just wondering if you have any such rights on these new visa debit cards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

It's debatable.

With Credit Cards, you are protected by the very nature of what a credit card is (your bank is buying the item/service for you).

With a debit card, it is merely an electronic transfer of money from your account to another's. Visa claim that they offer the same protection to debit cards, but it's more of a discretionary PR thing than legally black and white. Plenty of examples on-line of customers who haven't been able to get refunds etc. Looking at Ulster Bank's website, the phrase "we may be able to help you recover the payment" sums it up. For BOI, it's "you could get your money back if you do not receive your goods or services". AIB just mention "Better consumer protection" compared to maestro, without specifying what that means.

For the sheer simplicity of it, I would always buy large cost items, online purchases and anything requiring a deposit etc with a credit card, and leave the debit card for the day-to-day expenditure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Laurie22

I recently bought tickets to a show with my debit card but the company i bought them with has since gone into administration :( Does anyone know is it my bank i contact directly? And has anyone had any luck getting money back in a similar situation? Im not gonna hold my breath :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, you should contact the bank that issued the card.

Advertisement