Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to move up to HL Math? 2013

Options
  • 05-02-2013 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Anyway a majority of the courses i want to do require higher level math, however I'm currently doing ordinary level math. I'm doing all together, 2 OL subjects(including math) and the rest HL.

I want to go into medicine because I have an interest for it, however I have just completed my math paper 2 OL and I'm afraid i may have done bad and i may stay in OL or even worse get moved down(unlikely). Anyway are there any other courses that are related to science or medicine that i can take without HL math?

I find it odd that HL math is needed for computer science, I'm a programmer myself and have developed numerous, web apps, sites and games from scratch and aside from using variables and numbers to draw shapes in html5 i've never had to rely on math. Well sometimes I do but Math really isn't a major topic in programming(from my experience). Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you're currently sitting Ordinary Level and not doing so great, then you haven't a hope of passing Higher Level Maths. The course content is much bigger, and the difficulty level is way beyond OL. I'm a Maths teacher btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Tbh from my experience of people moving up to Honours Maths is that they were getting on grand with OL maths and decided they wanted a challenge and were capable of it.

Best of Luck anyways! There's always a way around things like this! Surely there's other courses in computer science that you might be able to do instead?

That's why I love my school tbh! They had a lecturer from UCC come talk to us last week about picking our LC choices to make sure we've the requirements for different courses we might want to do and just look into it all really. That lady said she usually only speaks to 6th Years who are too far into the LC :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

HL Maths is not needed for all Computer Science courses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

spurious wrote: »
    HL Maths is not needed for all Computer Science courses.

Or Medicine...except for points collecting purposes (bonus points especially useful)

Advertisement