Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time mom and solids

Options
  • 05-02-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My son is almost 6 months old and I have started him on solids, the first few days i gave him 1 spoon of baby rice mixed with 10 spoons of SMA he wasnt too impressed with it so i stopped then i found these organic frozen pots in Supervalu ( Butter nut squash, carrott or pear) i started him on these and he loved them he ate a whole pot a day without spitting any of it out.. and he cryed if you didnt give him all of it.
    then he seemed to be constipated for 5 days so i was told by a family member to leave him off the solids for a few days because you are supposed to start gradually every few days? so i left him off them and he was having regular bowel movements.
    today when we were having our dinner he was sitting with his mouth open and crying cause he wanted to eat so i gave him a bit of carrott and he stll wanted more.
    looking for advice on what to do? should i feed him every second day or continue feeding him every day?
    he has 5 7oz bottles per day and sleeps all night with or without solid food.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hi OP, I've moved your post to a thread of it's own. The thread you posted in was over two years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

My little man has had a problem with not so regular bowel movements since he was born. Used to go 3-4 days with out going. I searched what high fibre food I could give him, he loves his mango pureed and has it most days for lunch. Keeps him regular. He also drinks water from his cup and I think this helps too. And I have avoided food like bananas so far, can constipate them. He's just gone 6 months too. Google high fibre foods and see what your LO will eat on the list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Hi the advice I was given was to introduce new foods one every three days but you feed every day for the three days: that way you see what foods are triggering the constipation. Then you introduce a new food, but nothing else new for the 3days. The Annabel Karmel books are really good.

Baby rice was a total no go here: she hated it! I started with carrot and there was no looking back... Also give a sippy cup with water at every meal: it will take ages for them to get the hang of it, but water will help with the constipation.

I just introduced new foods according to what we were eating ourselves: if we had carrots I puréed them up etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Also my little girl has suffered badly with constipation since birth but since I started ready brek for breakfast instead of the baby cereals we've had a poo every day. Bananas don't have any effect at all on the constipation here, but banana baby cereal did! It's a bit trial and error really she's 7 months now

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

keep giving the solids - but mix the rice with fruit, which should also help with the constipation. I've heard a teaspoon of pure fresh orange juice or pear juice can get things moving for their little bowels.

I add fruit to the morning cereal, and add it to the evening rice too- I'd imagine your baby would cope well with different flavours so try him with a range. I just puree it and freeze it in ice cube trays, and then transferred the cubes to ziploc bags with the date on them.

I've the Annabel Karmel book too, and the best first fruits listed are Apple, pear, papaya & banana. Veggies are Carrott, butternut squash, sweet potato, turnip, parsnip, pumpkin.

I now have a range of pureed fruits and veggies frozen in cubes - Apple, Apple & Raisin, Apple & Cinnamon, Pear, Spiced Pear, Mango, Papaya, Papaya & Orange, Strawberry, Strawberry & Peach, Peach, Blueberry, Kiwi, Mashed Potato, Sweet Potato, Peas, Brocolli, Cauliflour, Butternut Squash, Turnip, Parsnip, Courgette, Roasted Red Pepper, Tomatoes.

Once you have a stash in the freezer, mealtimes are quick to prepare especially for little ones that have no patience :) Tonight while puttering around in the kitchen supervising dinner, I did up a batch of Spiced Pear, and a batch of Pineapple (which is the first time he will have that so I'm interested to see if he will like it or not.) Tomorrow night I'll do some Apple ones, and I'm low on a few others that I'll do in the coming evenings.

I try to give finger foods like a slice of cheese, baby biscuits, toast, avocado slices or anything that is soft that he can chew with his gums.

If your baby is looking for food, then go with your instinct - he is hungry and wants it :) I was surprised when he consistently ate more than I expected him to eat, and used to cry if the meal ran out and he hadnt finished. :D With regard to water, it took a while for my guy to get the sippy cup, I had to get the free-flowing one so it would initially drip into his mouth, and I offer it every few spoons. If he seems constipated I will add a few tablespoons of water to his dinner /rice/ cereal, but then he is also still breastfed so it hasn't been often he has had constipation.

I was very daunted introducing solids - to be soley responsible for ensuring good nutrition in a range of flavours and textures was initially almost scary, but the Annabel Karmel book took an awful lot of my worries away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

I agree with the Annabel Karmel suggestions. I used one of her books and it gives step by step advice- great if like me you haven't a clue where to start. It was divided into age groups from first solids to toddler, and gave info on when to introduce foods and suitable recipes. Still make a couple of hers now such as chicken satay skewers that my kids (4, 2) and adults love.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hi,

Just to follow on from introducing solids..my son(19 weeks) has been eating baby rice for 2 weeks to get use to solids and then I tried him on baby cereal. His chin and cheeks broke out in a red rash (cereal was gluten free, as I have an intolerance to it).

Has any other mammies experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Hi,

Just to follow on from introducing solids..my son(19 weeks) has been eating baby rice for 2 weeks to get use to solids and then I tried him on baby cereal. His chin and cheeks broke out in a red rash (cereal was gluten free, as I have an intolerance to it).

Has any other mammies experienced this?
    A girl I know had to take her baby off the baby rice and cereals from the box. She broke out in a rash all over and had to bring her to the doctor.
    Was it sunshine orange by any chance? Random question I know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lindydow

thanks very much for all the comments i feel alot more at ease now as i taught that i was doing something wrong! i have been giving the tommie tippie cup with water in it and he makes faces and spits it out when he realises its only water but im sure he will get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hi Gee G,

First reaction was to Heinz apple and oat cereal and then second reaction was to the Mulipa Sunshine Orange!

I'm not too worried, either is my doctor. She said to try him again on it after he is 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Hi Gee G,

First reaction was to Heinz apple and oat cereal and then second reaction was to the Mulipa Sunshine Orange!

Would you try Ready Brek? At least that's mostly just oats (98%), not full of the maze of other ingredients in the other two. They also contain milk powder, that could be the allergen.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moylaragh

Ready Brek I completly agree with.. also a small amount of mashed banana for breakfast.

Try blending some veg for dinner. Now that the baby is over 6 months you can oven lamb, beef or chicken and add for flavour.

Those big yoghurt pots esp glenisk mango are great value and very tasty.. suger free too.

Getting baby into flavours is important now. Blended/mashed kidney beans or chick peas once or twice a week would be very good for them.. My 2 love it.

Also a small amount of prune juice added to a bottle can help constipation. The Sunsweet is the best one. Suggested by our doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Just wondering why you would use ready brek instead of porridge which is 100% oats? What is the other 2% of ready brek?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Just wondering why you would use ready brek instead of porridge which is 100% oats? What is the other 2% of ready brek?
    Wholegrain Rolled Oats (60%), Wholegrain Oat Flour (38%), Calcium, Niacin, Iron, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B6, Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12

It's milled really finely for a first food, regular porridge is too lumpy. I would've gone through a box or two with my pair before moving them onto proper porridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Thanks. I always just gave porridge so didn't know what was in ready brek.

Advertisement