Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice restaurant [for Valentines]?

Options
  • 05-02-2013 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any suggestions for dinner on Valentines night? Not from Galway myself but the girlfriend is in college down there.
    Been to the huntsman a few times, really nice but looking for somewhere different but equally as nice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

wesf wrote: »
    Anyone got any suggestions for dinner on Valentines night? Not from Galway myself but the girlfriend is in college down there.
    Been to the huntsman a few times, really nice but looking for somewhere different but equally as nice!
    oscars down beside monroes is always nice. they usually have a 15 euro starter and steak special. not sure if they would have it though on valentines day.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Bar 8 on Dock street is the best place in town - glorious food and not just plonked on the plate a la McSwiggans. Get it booked asap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

I second McSwiggans. Good food, good value and amazing Irish coffee.
    Quirky spot would be Ard Bia down by Spanish arch. Bit pricey. Or Rouge is supposed to be really good (espically if you like wine) but I haven't been but my sister loves it... Maybe another border could confirm! Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

RuthieRose wrote: »
    I second McSwiggans. Good food, good value and amazing Irish coffee.
    Quirky spot would be Ard Bia down by Spanish arch. Bit pricey. Or Rouge is supposed to be really good (espically if you like wine) but I haven't been but my sister loves it... Maybe another border could confirm! Enjoy!!

Just to confirm I wasn't reccommending McSwiggans - overpriced and under-whelming (if thats a word). Rouge has nice wine and a great atmosphere but main courses leave a bit to be desired (although for €15 for starter and main thats understandable) - also no hope of getting in there at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

thanks for the suggestions, bar 8 sounds good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Bar 8 on Dock street is the best place in town - glorious food and not just plonked on the plate a la McSwiggans. Get it booked asap though.
    +1 for 8Bar. Going there on the 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bar 8 isn't very romantic. If that's a prio then maybe Cooke's, Vina Mara, Nimmos etc might be better. At least they're cosier.
    Went to Kai with herself for Valentine's last year, it's not the cosiest but the food is great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Le Fine Bouche does evening service some days (I'd imagine Valentines day would be one of them!) which is lovely and it's a lovely little french bistro/brasserie style atmosphere, lots of low level lighting and candles and the food is lovely, very traditional french chef pumping out quality food and a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Rogue would be my choice. Great food, good value, lovely service, nice atmosphere.

Nimmos seems cramped and girly to me. Granted I was just there for lunch, but I was glad to be out of there. It felt like I was in the loo of an airplane the whole time. There are a couple good tables, but most of them are on top of each other with people constantly bustling by forcing you to tuck in your elbows.

Oscars: great food and service but atmosphere like a nice coffee shop.

Kai: hit and miss food with an atmosphere like a cafe.... super-relaxed but not very romantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

The restaurants mentioned are good allright, some hit and miss but for consistency of good value food and a roaring fire i'd go for the Abbey restaurant in Claregalway, looks better inside than out but the food is tops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭anoda_username

Oscars bistro on Dominick Street! Was there last Friday night thought the atmosphere was nice and very impressed with fish and wine that I had. I find it's bit more pricey than some other restaurants but I like going there on special occasions. If u decide to go get the parfait for dessert :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Ard Bia is romantic.

Rouge is nice but I can't imagine you will get a reservation now!

Sheridans

Kirwan's Lane

Malt House

Martines (romantic too)

IL Foletto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

To be really special, you could get a taxi out to Barna and the West in the Twelve.

Mulberries is my favourite though, and I'll be there next week.

I hear good things about Donnallys and other places out there too, but I've never been.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If I was to getting a cab out that side of the world it would be to go to O'Grady's on the Pier.

To be really special, you could get a taxi out to Barna and the West in the Twelve.

Wife got food poisoning there once so it's on our no-go list. Pity because we had a brilliant night although they overcharged me on drink.

Atmosphere again, not super romantic tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

newkie wrote: »
    Wife got food poisoning there once so it's on our no-go list. Pity because we had a brilliant night although they overcharged me on drink.

Atmosphere again, not super romantic tho.

The West is fairly romantic I guess. You dont get kids running around usually and it's subdued.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Mulberries is my favourite though, and I'll be there next week.

I hear good things about Donnallys and other places out there too, but I've never been.

Mulberrys is lovely.

Mulberrys is lovely.

I totally forgot about this place! Menu looks good.

Advertisement