Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question Regarding The Paranormal Forum

Options
  • 05-02-2013 10:05pm
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

I apologise in advance if I am speaking out of turn here but I wanted to ask a favour from the users and mods of this forum.

I am a regular poster in the CT forum on boards but am not familiar with the forum here at all to be honest but I would expect based on the topic that the users here would face the same kind of cynical hostility and mockery from the reason vanguard as those posting in CT would.

There is an ongoing discussion in the feedback section on CT http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055504444&page=113 to try and work out the problems there so what I am would really appreciate to know is how the forum here has evolved and the ways that you have found to keep the peace here and create a more positive environment.

Thanks in advance for any responses. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I apologise in advance if I am speaking out of turn here but I wanted to ask a favour from the users and mods of this forum.

I am a regular poster in the CT forum on boards but am not familiar with the forum here at all to be honest but I would expect based on the topic that the users here would face the same kind of cynical hostility and mockery from the reason vanguard as those posting in CT would.

There is an ongoing discussion in the feedback section on CT http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055504444&page=113 to try and work out the problems there so what I am would really appreciate to know is how the forum here has evolved and the ways that you have found to keep the peace here and create a more positive environment.

Thanks in advance for any responses. :)

Hello there. Usually I would consider this something that should be discussed privately with, and among, this forum's Mods, but maybe long-term (or long-ish-term) Paranormal forum posters can offer their own constructive feedback?

Have any of the regular posters here noticed any particular actions or approaches as being effective in decreasing trolling and general idiotic behaviour on this forum?

Speaking for myself, I know this forum used to be far more incendiary and conflict-riddled than it is now and, observing the more positive change now, I would attribute this to two factors:

1. Mods' zero tolerance policy for disruptive posters, with little hesitation to dish out warnings, bans and the like (this is hardly a big secret to anyone who has frequented this forum over the last 12 months).

2. The mature, genuinely thought-provoking high standard set by the Paranormal forum's faithful posters and their contributions here on a regular basis.
    When a forum has enough people who are truly interested in its set subject area and who are willing to behave respectfully, issues such as cynical hostility and mockery will become increasingly less common. Why? Because, presumably, all interested parties want the forum to continue to be in decent shape, and also don't want to feel the wrath of the ban stick/be left out in the cold for slinging abuse at a fellow poster.

I hope that helps you folks over in the Conspiracy Theories forum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Create a Conspiracy Theory Skeptics sub-forum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Why Dave!? Sure isn't the paranormal skeptics forum like a ghost town (pardon the pun)?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Every forum has their own subject matter, and based on that their own way of moderating posters. Our way of handling things here may not transfer elsewhere. Regardless, this is not the way to push for change within your own 'home' forum. The feedback forum is the way to go to discuss moderating or general forum issues.

This forum is by no means perfect in terms of how we do things. I think those on both sides of the 'believer/skeptic' divide would probably agree with that. Personally, all I do is keep people within the rules of the board (civility, spam etc) and the forum (respect for the views of others etc).

I can move this to feedback for you if you want, or I recommend you take up a discussion there if you feel strongly about how CT is being run at the moment.

Advertisement