Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me perfect my network!

Options
  • 05-02-2013 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm looking for some help to clean up my network.

I have the following devices, and want them to be able to communicate properly/efficiently.

Voyager 210 modem
    Linksys WRT54GL
    Belkin N150
    PC
    Xbox
    Various phones

The Xbox is in the living room.
    The PC is in the hallway.
    Eircom point is in the hallway.
    There is a second phone point in the living room.

Would my best bet be to have the Belkin at the Eircom point, and have the PC wired to it, and the Linksys at the Xbox, and wirelessly bridge the 2 routers? Is that possible?

I'm trying to cut the number of cables I have running around the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you have cables and don't just want to do some casual browsing use the cables. Cables are considerably faster, full duplex and don't suffer from RF interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Could I use cables to link the 2 routers together?

Reason I ask is because I plan on getting a Raspberry Pi to use as a HTPC in the near future, and as it will be beside the Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Forget wireless for media streaming. If you want to futureproof your network, run cables to everything static and leave wireless just for mobility. A 1080p Movie will break 30mbit, even the best wireless "n" will struggle with this with (a few devices connected, interference, range etc).

Buy a box of cat 5 and start planning your routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Glengormanjay

Hi all
    I am building an extension onto my house and looking at moving into the modern age by setting up a home network that will be efficient but future proof.
    Please tell me if my understanding of Cat5 networking and the requirment for it is correct.
    1 x network point for internet router
    1 x network point per PC
    1 x network point to the printer
    2 x TV location (1 for future smart TV and 1 for media device (xbox or PVR)
    1 x for audio (web radio) in kitchen
    And to future proof
    1 x network point to a back up harddrive or media server
    1 x network point to house alarm
    1 x for future security camera matrix
    1 x for future smart thermostate (in hall)

All comming back to a central cupboard somewhere with a power supply and network switch?
    I want to do this properly but you do hear so many people say that wireless will solve all problems yet others saying put multiple network points in every room.

Thank a million in advance for any help or advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Hi all
    I am building an extension onto my house and looking at moving into the modern age by setting up a home network that will be efficient but future proof.
    Please tell me if my understanding of Cat5 networking and the requirment for it is correct.
    1 x network point for internet router
    1 x network point per PC
    1 x network point to the printer
    2 x TV location (1 for future smart TV and 1 for media device (xbox or PVR)
    1 x for audio (web radio) in kitchen
    And to future proof
    1 x network point to a back up harddrive or media server
    1 x network point to house alarm
    1 x for future security camera matrix
    1 x for future smart thermostate (in hall)

All comming back to a central cupboard somewhere with a power supply and network switch?
    I want to do this properly but you do hear so many people say that wireless will solve all problems yet others saying put multiple network points in every room.

Thank a million in advance for any help or advice :)

I am open for corrections but would consider powerline adapters instead of wireless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement