Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a splitter

• 05-02-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Free to air box (Technomate tm300d) which I want to connect to my sky satellite, I have a splitter 5-1000 but it does not seem to be working, can anyone advice me on what splitter to get or will a splitter not work in this case?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You cannot split a satellite feed, you need a feed from the dish to each box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

+1 As above.. ^^^^^

You will need at least a twin,,or even a quad LNB (For future boxes you may add),and run a seperate feed to the other box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Discussed here: http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/split_feed.htm

(All parts available from Irish suppliers.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Might the OP be able to use a Disqec switch?

One feed going to his Sky Box and one feed going to his technomate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Yes if the Technomate supports DiSEqC (the Sky box doesn't).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Before you start on me I know nothing about satellite, so just out of curiosity can you not use a distribution amp for this? I presume in apartments this is how it works, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

DiSEqC switches are for combining multiple inputs into 1 output for a single tuner.

The OP could use a splitter, or a priority switch, or a manual A/B switch, or a loopthrough from the TM, but there isn't much point, unless they absolutely can't run a 2nd feed from the dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

JOSman wrote: »
    Before you start on me I know nothing about satellite, so just out of curiosity can you not use a distribution amp for this? I presume in apartments this is how it works, no?

Apartments served by a single dish (& maybe terrestrial aerial) would use distribution units known as multiswitches. On the satellite side, this carries out the same switching function as a "universal" lnb & each tuner in the apartments served will need its own separate connection to the switch, the switch having 4 inputs from the lnb (1 for each band/polarity combo).

These switches will typically have at least 8 outputs & are available in cascadable versions to build up a very large (100s of outlets) system.

Fibre optic distribution is another option & can be used in conjunction with a "copper" multiswitch system.

Shouldn't forget frequency shifting systems, such as SCR (Single Cable Router): in this case each tuner gets its own dedicated frequency, allowing a limited no. of different users on one cable.

Advertisement