Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay marriage approved by House Of Commons

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Is that the last step of it ? Is it now legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Is that the last step of it ? Is it now legal?
    It has to go to the House of Lords but I believe they cannot block it, although an attempt may be made to delay the legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No

There is another vote in the House of Commons then a House of Lords vote

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Gay marriage bill passes in the UK-great news!:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21346220

Really, really, great news in one respect.

Can't wait for all marriages being equal. People should be allowed to marry who, etc they want.

Love shouldn't be about religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is this an amendment to the 1994 Act or is it a new bill creating a separate type of marriage for same-sex couples?

While the effect is the same, the two are different in terms of equality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is just the second reading vote, which is an in-principle vote on the Bill as a whole. It's a signficant milestone, but it's not the end of the journey. There's still committee, report and third reading to go in the House of Commons, and during these phases the bill is voted on clause by clause, and there is the possiblity of amendments being proposed and accepted. Then the Bill goes to the Lords, where it goes through all these stages again. If the Bill is amended in the Lords, it goes back to the Commons, and the Commons considers and accepts or rejects the Lords amendments. Finally, it goes for Royal Assent, and then the Secretary of State decides what date she wants it to come into force on, and makes an order nominating the date, and on that date it takes effect.

So there's quite a way to go. But the fact that the Bill has passed its second reading with such a satisfactory majority means that it is unlikely that it will die. It may be amended along the way, but it will very probably enter into force in some form not wildly unlike it's present form.

Ninty9er - the Bill amends the Marriage Act 1949 (and a number of other Acts) but it also contains some free-standing provisions. Essentially, there's be a single status of marriage for both same-sex and opposite-sex couples, but some of the rule surrounding marriage (or the application of some of the rules surrounding marriage) may still differ slightly. For example, an opposite-sex marriage can be annulled for non-consummation, but there is no concept of consummation or non-consummation for a same-sex marriage. And if one of the spouses in a marriage has a same-sex relationship with a third party, the Bill provides that that's not adultery, and so not grounds for divorce. That applies to both opposite-sex and same-sex marriages, but obviously in a same-sex marriage it's much more likely that any infidelity will involve a same-sex third party.

And of course gay couples who want to formalise their relationship will have a choice between marriage and civil partnership, whereas straight couples will not have that choice.

Obviously there are some tricky issues here, and some ground for dispute and disagreement, and this is the kind of thing that could very well be tweaked by amendment as the Bill progresses through Parliament.

Advertisement