Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice on running cat 5 for cctv

Options
  • 05-02-2013 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

im in need of a bit of advice on cat 5 been run long distance (max 100mtrs for one camera),
    the cameras (x4) are 12v,(operating at 390 mA and suggested power supply at 1250 mA)and i plan on using baluns,
    but im not too sure on the power supply through the cat5 to the cameras as ive no local supply at the camera locations,
    can i use a 4 way dc splitter and 220v/12v power adaptor and while ive been searching for answers ive been comin up with "ground loop" problems,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mossy2

Hello There
    I bought some baluns on ebay recently to see if I could run out to a remote camera via CAT5E. I plan on putting the video through 2 cores and the 12V power through another pair.

Not much help to you just now but I hope to give it a go next Saturday. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Check the resistance of the cable, probably .1 ohm per meter, and from there work out the volt drop. Doubling up on the cat 5 will help.
    Can you power the cameras locally

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

If you can, run .75 flex for the power and leave the cat 5 for the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭.243

Jnealon wrote: »
    Check the resistance of the cable, probably .1 ohm per meter, and from there work out the volt drop. Doubling up on the cat 5 will help.
    Can you power the cameras locally
    unfortunatly i cant power them locally,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭.243

If you can, run .75 flex for the power and leave the cat 5 for the video.
    i was hopeing to just use the cat 5 on its own as there is a point where all the cables run into a duct back to the power point thats already got cables in it so space is an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

cat 5 is a disaster for carrying power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mossy2

mossy2 wrote: »
    Hello There
    I bought some baluns on ebay recently to see if I could run out to a remote camera via CAT5E. I plan on putting the video through 2 cores and the 12V power through another pair.

Not much help to you just now but I hope to give it a go next Saturday. I'll let you know how I get on.

Hello Again. I connected up a camera today using approx 40m of CAT5 cable and baluns. It worked fine. I used one pair for the video and put the power through the other 3 pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

mossy2 wrote: »
    Hello Again. I connected up a camera today using approx 40m of CAT5 cable and baluns. It worked fine. I used one pair for the video and put the power through the other 3 pairs.

You did the correct thing using the remainder of the cores for the power.

Advertisement