Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Idea. Where to begin?

Options
  • 05-02-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Myself and my father have an idea for a website that would basically be an online museum of sorts.

Without giving too much away, he has a huge number of collectibles which we would like to put on display online. We can do all the photographs ourselves.

I have a fair bit of experience with web design, currently studying it in college also.

I just have no idea where to even begin.

If all goes well, originally it would be like a blog of just photos of these collectibles. But we would hope that if successful it could become a forum, online shop etc.

Any ideas anyone?

What do I need to get going?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Without giving too much away, he has a huge number of collectibles which we would like to put on display online.

If he has the collectibles, why are you afraid of giving too much away? :pac:

Wordpress should suit ya grand to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

KonFusion wrote: »
    If he has the collectibles, why are you afraid of giving too much away? :pac:

It's mainly just him concerned about his "brilliant" idea.

He does have the stuff but it's not uncommon or anything just the fact he has a huge interest in it and has a sh*t load of it.

I was thinking wordpress myself.

But if it becomes successful, is wordpress able to have a forum/online shops etc or would I need my own domain?

And how would money be made on the site?

All I know is a tiny bit about google adsense.
    Any more I should know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

KonFusion wrote: »

+1 for this. You can always scale up if it takes off in the way you hope it does. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Wordpress can be installed on your own domain. On any domain really. Most hosting plans even have a one click install thingy to get up and running quickly.

Worry about getting visitors first, then worry about how you'll make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

But if it becomes successful, is wordpress able to have a forum/online shops etc or would I need my own domain?

Get yourself a domain and a small hosting account (Looking at a popular irish provider, that works out at less than 60 euro per year.

Wordpress can handle stores with one of the many e-commerce plugins (woocommerce and wpcommerce are particularly popular) and it can handle online discussions with bbpress.

• Advertisement
Advertisement