Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulties in Pass Maths

• 05-02-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey Everyone,

I'm doing Ordinary Level Maths and 6 other Higher Level subjects for the LC in June. Out of all my subjects, I am finding Maths the most difficult... Is this normal? I just feel like I'm getting nowhere with it and I'm afraid I'm going to fail. Is anyone else experiencing troubles like this?

I should mention that I have been getting grinds since the start of 6th year too.

(Also, if I posted this in the incorrect place, I'm sorry, mods!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eredmond

I'm doin the LC in June also, and I'm finding maths a b!tch! My teacher said some of the questions in the exam papers are Higher and if they come up like that in the real exam we may as well leave he said. Then again he wouldnt be the best teacher but even higher level teachers cant anwser some questions in ordinary level. I think just try and answer everything get attempt marks where possible and you should pass! Best of luck bud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Start doing the exam papers and circle any questions you can't do, then in class ask your teacher (or your grinds teacher) to go through them with you. Don't worry, they mark the exam very easy and try to pass as many people as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

Do you put much study into Maths ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AwesomeSauce

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I really do. As in, I just spent three hours revising Algebra. Going through exam papers and the book and noting everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You might be better off getting some time with a teacher on your own and really 'getting' some of the concepts, than just practising questions.

How did you get on in the JC and at which level?

• Advertisement

I got an A in Pass Maths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I got an A in Pass Maths.

Oh then you are well able for the OL LC course.

Are you doing OK in your class tests? I know you say you're afraid you'll fail, but are you anywhere close to failing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hi.. i got an A in the junior cert pass too then it all went wrong , i found ordinary level maths so hard! i would fail some class tests and i got a D in the mocks , i just kept answering exam papers questions, i did it topic by topic and looked up the marking scheme. In the exam i tried everything even if it was stupid , you do get attempt marks and with the project maths you can learn some stuff that aren't sums which i think helped me as it wasn't like maths! , i ended up getting a C2 i really think exam paper questions are key!! good luck :)

I failed my Christmas exam. I got 30%. In class tests I get around 80%.

I just have an awful feeling when I open my exam papers.. I don't know how to do any of the questions. It's disheartening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Well start with positive , 80% usually in class tests is great, just remember that you are capable :) , i know its scary but open your book pick your favourite topic to start you going, go through how to do all the sums , open the papers and just try the question, write anything you can and check the marking scheme , hopefully i think it will help :) just try and see if it works for you

• Advertisement

Sounds very much like a confidence issue to me. Leaving out the Christmas test, all your results show you are well able at OL.

I'm going to see how the pre goes... Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kenbob

I feel the very same, doing six other honours and my only ordinary is maths I have a shocking teacher but probably have only myself to blame for being bad at it, my mock went horribly bad(as with all of them I really amn'treaching my full potential and I am fed upp!!) began to cry in paper one I just can't grasp it..Had a bit more confidence in paper two and I'd say I got a pass alright..

Going to start grinds soon got a b in ordinary for junior cert cause my teacher was a little God send usually come in the mid c range where I want to be but that mock was just awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭inthezone

I'm in a similar position to you. I got a B in Ordinary Level Maths for the Junior Cert, and in fifth year I was fairly good too, with low Bs and high Cs, but this year has been quite a nightmare. Class tests have been poor and I got a low D at Christmas. I need a C3 as an entry requirement for college so I know that this won't do. I've just started writing my own notes (mostly just formulas) and putting them into my own Maths folder and once I'm done, I'm sure it will be very effective! The books are so huge and it's a lot less daunting when you just have the bare essentials needed in front of you, I find :) Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Pass maths is easily my worst subject, as I put absolutely no study into it. It's my only pass subject and I'm not counting it for points, so I think it's better to focus on the others.

It'll be some larf if my brilliant plan of neglecting maths in favour of my other subjects leads to me getting 550 points but failing ordinary maths heh

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kenbob

Pass maths is easily my worst subject, as I put absolutely no study into it. It's my only pass subject and I'm not counting it for points, so I think it's better to focus on the others.

It'll be some larf if my brilliant plan of neglecting maths in favour of my other subjects leads to me getting 550 points but failing ordinary maths heh

I'm the very same like it'd be some balls to get 500+ and fail maths!
    But hopefully common cop will get us through it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

It's the new project maths . Half the teachers in my school barely understand it themselves ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BigBuck

Never got the huff people get themselves into over maths.

My story was when I entered the higher level class after JC I took an instant dislike to the teacher and the feeling was pretty mutual. I spent a year and a half in the back of the class room, behind all the 'proper' students just scribing away and generally taking a nice little snooze in the middle of the daily grind of classes. I took no notice of what the maths teacher was doing, I might as well have been in study hall.

I'd decided well in advance I'd take the ordinary level paper but it wasn't until three weeks before the Leaving Cert that I started studying for it. I don't mean that as in 'seriously' or 'about three weeks', I mean literally three weeks from start to exam. No grinds, I should. Probably the silliest aspect of the whole CAO rat race, but that's another issue.

I just picked up an the exam revision book (Follans? Something like that.) and started to methodically cheery pick enough topics to learn that I'd be able to answer enough of the sections on the paper to comfortably pass.

The result? B2. And that's with me not even studying two of sections on the second paper, so the hit rate of the ones I did answer was noticeably higher than that end grade.

I was always good with maths before I became very bored of it but I'm either a savant or a lot of people are over-complicating one of the most straight-forward subjects on the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Was always terrible at maths, got 510 points and failed pass maths, which in turn meant I failed the LC, at the time you had to resit everything and could only keep one grade, ended up getting a D3 second time around, some people no matter now smart they are just cannot get their heads around maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 chikatita

if i want to do arts in college and get the points but fail maths in the leavin, ... does that mean i have to repeat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

chikatita wrote: »
    if i want to do arts in college and get the points but fail maths in the leavin, ... does that mean i have to repeat?

You need maths to get into any course in Ireland.

Xenji wrote: »
    You need maths to get into any course in Ireland.
    but its not an entry requirement for arts or any social sciences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

He's wrong, you can get into a lot of arts courses without maths. UCD is one. Depends where you're looking at, check with them anyway. :)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    He's wrong, you can get into a lot of arts courses without maths. UCD is one. Depends where you're looking at, check with them anyway. :)

thank you patchy , that's what i thought :) That other guy got me worried

Advertisement