Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropped out of current college course but still have student card?

Options
  • 06-02-2013 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I'm planning on returning to college next year also but i'm wondering would the student card and maybe a letter from when I was still in the aforementioned college suffice in the interview? Alternatively if i was to apply for a holiday visa what kind of jobs would i have any possibilty of getting e.g. caddying, construction etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You need to be a current student or have graduated in the last 12 months to get a J1 visa. If you go back to college next year with the intention of doing the full college year you should probably qualify for a J visa. You can't work in the US on a holiday visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

You need to be a current student or have graduated in the last 12 months to get a J1 visa. If you go back to college next year with the intention of doing the full college year you should probably qualify for a J visa. You can't work in the US on a holiday visa.

I do intend on doing the full year next year? do i contact the US embassy and explain my circumcstance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You'll gave to wait until next year, you won't be allowed go this summer if you've already dropped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Route1 wrote: »
    do i contact the US embassy and explain my circumcstance?

No. Don't waste your time. The rules for getting a J1 visa are very clear and strictly enforced. Either you are enrolled in college, or you are not. If you are in college, you qualify for a J1 visa. If you are not, you don't. End of story. There is no point in showing up at the embassy to explain yourself, or your circumstances. They won't want to know. Don't mean to sound harsh, but that's just how it is. :o

**** buzz. Seems like a lot of my mates are going, have a decent bit of money saved already and have a job at the moment. would going on a holiday visa be a viable alternative, I understand you can't work with one but would I be able to go over for 4 or 6 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes, you don;t need a visa to go on holidays for up to 90 days (like you say, no work on that), just need ESTA: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Yes, you can go over on a holiday, but you can not work while you are there. However, you will run the risk of being turned away at Immigration if they deem you to be a risk for entering the country and working illegally. If you do not have a job here in Ireland to return to, or you are not in enrolled in full time education, or you do not have other significant ties to Ireland that you can prove (a mortgage, kids, a spouse etc etc) they may very well deny you entry, as they may think that you may try and stay on illegally and work while you are in the US.

Not every person entering the US has their background and life story checked up on or questioned. They may wave you on thru with nary the blink of an eye, or they may not. It all depends on the official you get on the day, but if you do have a legitimate employment here in Ireland to return to, you should be fine. If you are going for any longer than a standard 2 week holiday, bring a bank statement with you to prove that you have enough funds to support yourself while you are in the US. The more proof that you can give them that you don't need to start looking for work the minute that you get off the plane, the better.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yes, you can go over on a holiday, but you can not work while you are there. However, you will run the risk of being turned away at Immigration if they deem you to be a risk for entering the country and working illegally. If you do not have a job here in Ireland to return to, or you are not in enrolled in full time education, or you do not have other significant ties to Ireland that you can prove (a mortgage, kids, a spouse etc etc) they may very well deny you entry, as they may think that you may try and stay on illegally and work while you are in the US.

Not every person entering the US has their background and life story checked up on or questioned. They may wave you on thru with nary the blink of an eye, or they may not. It all depends on the official you get on the day, but if you do have a legitimate employment here in Ireland to return to, you should be fine. If you are going for any longer than a standard 2 week holiday, bring a bank statement with you to prove that you have enough funds to support yourself while you are in the US. The more proof that you can give them that you don't need to start looking for work the minute that you get off the plane, the better.

I also am reapplying to the CAO to return to college here in Ireland should i bring a photocopy with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You could. I don't think it would carry an awful lot of weight though. A mere application to college isn't a sign of commitment. It doesn't cost anything major, you're not committed to anything, tied to attending etc.

I've also been to America twice on holiday visas the last 2 years and also have two addresses of extended relatives;.

• Advertisement

I also am reapplying to the CAO to return to college here in Ireland should i bring a photocopy with me?

You could, but it really won't mean all much to them. Applying to a college is not the same things as actually being enrolled in one.

Circumstances dictate that I can't get a J1 leaves me in an awkward position as it seems as though most of my friends will be heading to the US for the summer. I understand how strict US customs are and have witnessed their near interrogation techniques, I'm wondering what is the best way for me to go about proving to them I'm not coming to work merely to "holiday"

Proof that you have sufficient funds to tide you over during your stay in the US would be a good place to start. You'll need that to show that you won't have to look for work illegally to support yourself while you are in the US. A bank statement should suffice.

Names, addresses, phone numbers etc of who/where you'll be staying in the US, such as a friend or family member that is going to put you up. Or proof of sufficient funds showing that you can afford to pay for a hotel or apartment for the entire time that you will be there.

If you are enrolled in a college course, or you have a job, it may be a good idea to bring paper work with you to prove it. They may or may not ask you for it, but it can't hurt to be able to show that you have sufficient ties and commitments to Ireland that you will want to to return to.

Is it possible to change your flights without US customs finding out, for instance if i said i was to be staying for 4 weeks and had all the nesscessary information provided to show i'm not arriving to work would it be posssible to defer the return flight without facing sanction.

Yes you can change your flight- they won't care as long as you are not working.

You can change your return date with out any consequences, as long as you do not over stay the 90 days that your ESAT visa waiver is valid for. Over staying a visa is serious business, and may prevent you from ever being able to enter the US again. But as long as you leave the US before the 90 days are up, you'll be fine.

..but remember, you're not guaranteed to be granted permission for a full 90 days anyway. The lenght of the stay is at the Immigration officers discretion.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    ..but remember, you're not guaranteed to be granted permission for a full 90 days anyway. The lenght of the stay is at the Immigration officers discretion.

As in when you're going through customs the immigration officer can limit the amount of time one can stay?

Yes. The visa waiver is for *up* to 90 days. If they wish, they can grant you any period shorter than that. i.e., if you've booked from the 1st of July until the 12th, they're well within their rights to issue you a waiver for that exact period of time should they wish.

As in when you're going through customs the immigration officer can limit the amount of time one can stay?

Yes- it happened to me once, I had traveled to the USA 4 times within a year, always only for a week or long weekend (less than 30 days total), but I guess they got suspicious. The 5th time I was pulled into secondary inspection, they looked through all my lugage etc. I had a 5 day holiday planned, and they gave me one day more (in case of flight delays). Of course, on my 6th visit, they just waved me through... it always depends on the immigration officer you get too, and what sort of day they are having.

• Advertisement

It has come to my attention that I actually have an eligable visa for 2 years seeing as I visited the US with my family last summer. What will the procedure be at US customs in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It has come to my attention that I actually have an eligable visa for 2 years seeing as I visited the US with my family last summer. What will the procedure be at US customs in this case.
    It's not a visa, it's an ESTA which gives you outline approval to travel to the US. Permission to enter is still at the discretion of immigration & customs.

You don't have a visa, you have an approved visa waiver- if anything has changed, you need to update it. The ESTA approval is good for two years, but only for up to 90 days at a time, and the CBP officer can still give you less, as mentioned.

thinking of booking a return flight 8 weeks later, a letter of employment, a photocopy of CAO application and a bank statement which has transferred money into my account i.e. having quite a substatinal amount of money which would comfortably cover my stay be sufficent?

It sounds good, but nobody here can give you a guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You *definitely* have to be enrolled.
    There's no ifs/butts about it you'll just waste your time applying otherwise.

Also, as far as I remember they require more than just a valid student card from the university to prove enrollment.
    From what I remember, the university had to stamp the form. So, if you're not currently registered, they won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

The embassy does check.......they don't take your word for it when you're applying for a J1.....they will contact your university to check enrollment.

Solair wrote: »
    You *definitely* have to be enrolled.
    There's no ifs/butts about it you'll just waste your time applying otherwise.

Also, as far as I remember they require more than just a valid student card from the university to prove enrollment.
    From what I remember, the university had to stamp the form. So, if you're not currently registered, they won't do that.

sorry the name of the thread is misleading it was merged with another, I realised that a j1 was not possible for me I'm thinking of going on a holiday visa.

Advertisement