Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 Visa - Changing Employer

Options
  • 06-02-2013 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey Folks

I have a question and I hope that some of you visa experts on here can answer it.

I have recently been sponsored on a 457 Visa. I have been with this employer around 8 months. I would like to change jobs. Can a new employer take over my sponsorship? What is involved if so? I intend to stay in the same industry. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You keep your existing visa, that will still be valid for 4 years from the date of its grant.

New Employer can nominate you for a new postion, providing they are already SBS approved.

If not they need to be SBS approved and then nominate you.

Shouldn't cost any more than $500

• Registered Users Posts: 29 imagine_08

Thanks a lot

So if the new company has to nominate me for the position, do I need to stay with my current empoyer until the nomination is granted? Do I need to reapply for the Visa with the new empolyer or will my Visa automatically be updated once the nomination is approved?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You keep your existing visa, that will still be valid for 4 years from the date of its grant.

New Employer can nominate you for a new postion, providing they are already SBS approved.

If not they need to be SBS approved and then nominate you.

Shouldn't cost any more than $500

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

imagine_08 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot

So if the new company has to nominate me for the position, do I need to stay with my current empoyer until the nomination is granted? Do I need to reapply for the Visa with the new empolyer or will my Visa automatically be updated once the nomination is approved?

You'd have to stay with the current employer until the nomination is granted, ie keep your visa active.
    Once granted, your current visa is transfer to the new employer so no need to reapply for a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

It's a very easy process if they're approved and its same role you're moving to.

Took 4 days for mine to switch from when I hit the apply button.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Wild Rover

In this situation would the 457 visa holder have to stay an additional 2 years with the new employer before applying for PR or would the 8 months with the old employer count towards the 2 years? im in a similar situation myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

2 years with same employer so it starts fresh. 8 months with old employer doesn't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

irishmover wrote: »
    2 years with same employer so it starts fresh. 8 months with old employer doesn't count.

Are you sure about that? I've heard that it's simply 2 years on a 457.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I've heard that it's simply 2 years on a 457.

He's right, its two years with that employer.
    Choose the Temporary Residence Transition stream if you are a subclass 457 visa holder who has worked for your employer for two years in the nominated occupation and your employer wants to offer you a permanent position in that occupation.

But remember, the two years only removes the need for a skills assessment. You can apply for an ENS PR at any time.

Advertisement