Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

latin translation & explanation

• 06-02-2013 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭

Can anybody enlighten me as to the meaning of this latin phrase - Non proventia sed victoria. Did a google on it but I still don't understand...:o ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

Essentially it means 'No prudence, rather victory', or 'Victory instead of prudence'. That is to say don't be timid if you want to be successful.

Providentia could also be interpreted in relation to the theological meaning of ordinary providence, and be akin to the natural order of the Universe. But given the context, I would go with the former explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

I would have said it means There is no success but victory, but it can be hard to translate latin sometimes.

Advertisement