Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WTD: Carbon wheelset

• 06-02-2013 2:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Looking for 50mm+ clinchers, have my eye on planetX or getting some in from China so I thought I'd ask here incase anyone has a set that are getting no use and/or want to shift them!

Budget is around 300-400 as that's what I can get them new for so none of those 1k+ wheels (not yet anyways :))

I'll start praying this wind dies very soon too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Zyzz wrote: »
    Looking for 50mm+ clinchers, have my eye on planetX or getting some in from China so I thought I'd ask here incase anyone has a set that are getting no use and/or want to shift them!

Budget is around 300-400 as that's what I can get them new for so none of those 1k+ wheels (not yet anyways :))

I'll start praying this wind dies very soon too.

I have a Chinese set if you're interested. Got them from Yishun which are on of the more reputable companies. They're 50mm carbon clincher wheels and have only been raced twice as it was late in the 2011 racing year when I got them and I didn't do any racing whatsoever in 2012. They have about 300km on them max. I want to get a 38mm set just to get the weight down slightly. Will throw up a few photos shortly. Yours for 350 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I have a Chinese set if you're interested. Got them from Yishun which are on of the more reputable companies. They're 50mm carbon clincher wheels and have only been raced twice as it was late in the 2011 racing year when I got them and I didn't do any racing whatsoever in 2012. They have about 300km on them max. I want to get a 38mm set just to get the weight down slightly. Will throw up a few photos shortly. Yours for 350 euro.

Hey man thanks for the reply, the set I'm looking at is also from China, a 60mm set new for around €380. Can you comment of the quality, ride etc of them? Was it a good purchase?

I can't say I'm a seasoned biker so I've nothing to compare them with. Only raced them twice but I was very happy with them. They are really smooth and certainly faster than my standard Al training wheels that's for sure. I used Swisstop pads with them as I'm not sure what to make of the pads they send on. The wheels I got had a lowered braking surface, lowered in the sense that it was about 2-3mm from the top of the rim, the idea being that heat generated during braking isn't transferred directly to the tyre. I think they weighed in around the 1650g mark. Certainly a good buy anyway I though. the 38mm are 1350g so it's a nice weight saving hence why I want to go for them.

I can't say I'm a seasoned biker so I've nothing to compare them with. Only raced them twice but I was very happy with them. They are really smooth and certainly faster than my standard Al training wheels that's for sure. I used Swisstop pads with them as I'm not sure what to make of the pads they send on. The wheels I got had a lowered braking surface, lowered in the sense that it was about 2-3mm from the top of the rim, the idea being that heat generated during braking isn't transferred directly to the tyre. I think they weighed in around the 1650g mark. Certainly a good buy anyway I though. the 38mm are 1350g so it's a nice weight saving hence why I want to go for them.

Thanks for the comments, really appreciated! Now to decide what to do :pac:

Edit: What I have my eye on;

564714166_864.jpg

If you're getting them from China go with a company that is reputable (good feedback) and if I were you I'd stay clear of anything that has a brand name on it. You're looking for trouble and a slagging as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Hey pprendeville, I'd be interested in having a look at yer wheels if nothing happens with Zyzz... could u post a picture or two..?

If you're getting them from China go with a company that is reputable (good feedback) and if I were you I'd stay clear of anything that has a brand name on it. You're looking for trouble and a slagging as well.

The ones above have quite a number of of credible orders and good ratings which is what caught my eye! Possibly a silly question but why stay away from branded wheels? It's really only personal use (not in any clubs or race yet)
    Fender76 wrote: »
    Hey pprendeville, I'd be interested in having a look at yer wheels if nothing happens with Zyzz... could u post a picture or two..?

I'd be interested in some pics aswel!

The ones above have quite a number of of credible orders and good ratings which is what caught my eye! Possibly a silly question but why stay away from branded wheels? It's really only personal use (not in any clubs or race yet)

I'd be interested in some pics aswel!

Well all they do is put a set of decals (Zipp or in that case Fast Forward) on a low spec set of carbon wheels and get suckers to buy them at inflated prices. It's amazing how a set of stickers can alter ones perception on something. You'd be better off getting details on actual weight (not claimed weight), braking surface, hubs, are they handbuilt and tested etc. Will post up pics tonight if I have time. Also check out the Chinese carbon Wheel thread on roadbikereview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hey man thanks for the reply, the set I'm looking at is also from China, a 60mm set new for around €380. Can you comment of the quality, ride etc of them? Was it a good purchase?

60mm will give worse ride quality than 50mm, and be heavier, and more susceptible to cross winds.

Zipp 404s are 58mm, of course, so make of that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Lumen wrote: »
    60mm will give worse ride quality than 50mm, and be heavier, and more susceptible to cross winds.

Zipp 404s are 58mm, of course, so make of that what you will.

Better ride quality, lighter and less susceptible to cross winds?

• Advertisement

DSC00038.JPG

DSC00039.JPG

DSC00040.JPG

DSC09695.JPG

DSC00115.JPG

These are photos I took after receiving the wheels (didn't take an individual pic of front wheel). I'm only selling the wheels with rim tape, skewers and brake pads - no cassette or tyres. Spoke count is 20F, 24R That is a manufacturing date on the hub I assume but I bought it in August 11.

Very nice.... and lovely bike too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Very nice.... and lovely bike too...

+1 lovely bike! Love the frame too!

Hey pprendeville, if Zyzz isn't interested I might be.. do u mind me asking, how much u paid for them..? What hubs are they..? weight..? And also where r u based..?
    Ta... apologies Zyzz if I am highjacking your thread...:D

Hey pprendeville, if Zyzz isn't interested I might be.. do u mind me asking, how much u paid for them..? What hubs are they..? weight..? And also where r u based..?

No worries man, I'm now leaning towards upgrading the whole bike so it's all yours! Good luck :)

€464. They're Novatec hubs. Total weight of wheels is approx 1700g. Can't remember exact figure. Based in Dublin.

How do u find them? Are they in good nick?

Basically I've been waiting to upgrade my Aksiums which are around 1750g, so what is the main advantage with these wheels..?

You're welcome to try them. Hard to describe what a wheel feels like. I like them coz they are so comfortable compared to aluminium, they roll faster or at least feel faster. They're practically as new.

Well dude, subject to inspection I'd like to make you an offer of €285...

• Advertisement

No thanks. I'm happy to hold onto mine unless I got €350 for them.

Thought I'd start a bit low... Ok, I have 320 ready to meet u tomorrow..

Can u let me know if u are still selling.. Will offer asking if we can meet today...

Can u let me know if u are still selling.. Will offer asking if we can meet today...

Sorry just back in from a spin. Will PM you my details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Sorry just back an attempt of a spin. Will PM you my details.
    Fixed :P

Lousy pic but the wheels are friggin awesome... Can't wait to try them out.. Cheers Phil..

Damn that bike is looking sweet, congrats on the purchase and happy riding :)

Thanks man, been waiting for a pair of carbon clinchers at the right price for a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Are they yoshiun bike carbon clinchers?

• Advertisement

Yep..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Nice.

Advertisement