Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling To America For First Time

Options
  • 06-02-2013 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

So I'm going to The US for 8 days in August. I've never been before so I've no idea on what to expect from customs etc.

A friend of mine (Bulgarian) told me I would have to visit the embassy in Dublin before going over. I'm Irish and I'm only planning on going for 8 days.

Can anyone tell me what the procedure is? Do I just book the tickets and go to customs in the airport early or do I have to go visit them in the embassy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You shouldn't have to go the Embassy. Only those who need actual Visa's would do so. Many countries citizens still need to.

Most Irish visitors qualify for the Visa Waiver Program, which allows visits of up to 90 days.

To do so, you need an ESTA (electronic travel approval). It's available at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/. You pay, but it's valid for two years and multiple visits. Apply online and you normally get your result back instantly.

You can book your flights. If flying to the USA direct from Dublin/Shannon, you'll most likely pre-clear US immigration and customs here. If that's the case, then yes allow a little more time to complete the formalities. If you're flying via somewhere else (i.e. Dublin -> London -> USA) etc, you'll do all that when you arrive in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Where are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

BuffyBot wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to go the Embassy. Only those who need actual Visa's would do so. Many countries citizens still need to.

Most Irish visitors qualify for the Visa Waiver Program, which allows visits of up to 90 days.

To do so, you need an ESTA (electronic travel approval). It's available at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/. You pay, but it's valid for two years and multiple visits. Apply online and you normally get your result back instantly.

You can book your flights. If flying to the USA direct from Dublin/Shannon, you'll most likely pre-clear US immigration and customs here. If that's the case, then yes allow a little more time to complete the formalities. If you're flying via somewhere else (i.e. Dublin -> London -> USA) etc, you'll do all that when you arrive in the US.

Thanks for the reply dude, just got my ESTA.

I'm hoping to fly from Dublin -> Chicago -> Pittsburgh

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Where are you going?

Pittsburgh. Going over to visit a couple of friends.

Its a long way to go for only 8 days. and if you're staying with friends you dont have hotel costs to worry about. No chance of going for longer?

Maybe a stop off on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Its a long way to go for only 8 days. and if you're staying with friends you dont have hotel costs to worry about. No chance of going for longer?

Maybe a stop off on the way?

Well I'd be staying with a friend and his wife and a child, I don't really want to intrude for too long but I might look into going for a few more days.

I have to think about time off work and not making money while I'm away etc.
    Everyone's saying the same to me though, it's not the kind of place you only go for a week really is it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I have, but it can knacker you for the first day or two if you're not a plane sleeper :)

Everyone's saying the same to me though, it's not the kind of place you only go for a week really is it!

Especially since its your first time.

2-3 nights in chicago on the way home would be easy. You dont need a car there and its a nice easy city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It all depends. Everyone's circumstances are different. Of course all holidays are best when you can spend as long as you want in your chosen destination, but not everyone is that lucky. A week is perfectly enough time to experience that part of the US. Heck, back in the heady Celtic Tiger days, people headed to New York and Chicago for weekend shopping trips, and thought nothing off it. You can always go to another part of the US on your next trip. It can take a life time to see all of it.

Don't plan on doing too much on the day that you arrive in the US, the following day, or on the day that you arrive back in Ireland, or at least stuff that you can't easily cancel if all you want to do sleep. International travel and jet lag can really mess your body clock up if you aren't used to it.

Have fun, and have a Primanti Bros sambo for me while you are in Pittsburgh. Food of the gods ! :D

Advertisement