Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indicator trouble...

Options
  • 06-02-2013 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have a 1982 Honda CM250T, and I'm having a bit of trouble with the indicators.

They were working fine, but started to die during wet weather. Once it dried up they would be fine again. Last heavy rain we had, it happened again and I traced it to the flasher relay, it was full of water.

I have replaced the relay unit, but now the front indicators are not flashing, but they do come on ok, left and right separately. but at the rear the two lights come on dimly at the same time.

I thought it could be a short, but I spent all day yesterday tracing wires and cant find anything wrong. Could it be a faulty flasher unit?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm just scratching my head now!

Thanks

Craig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Did you get the correct size relay....I changed the rear brake light on my FZ6 and the old relay is not powerful enough to run the hazards now aswell. They come on but not flash, I had to get a larger size relay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

craiglucas wrote: »

I have replaced the relay unit, but now the front indicators are not flashing, but they do come on ok, left and right separately. but at the rear the two lights come on dimly at the same time.
    Get an analog multimeter, and see what voltage you are getting at the rear lamp holders.
    Check the earth points for them as a bad earth will give lamp troubles.
    You should be getting close to 12v if not then trace the wires back and check at joins what the voltage is.
    Start at the lamp holders and work backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 craiglucas

Thanks for the tips...

Honestly I don't know if it's the right relay, I got it matched up at a local motor factors, and they said it would just wire up and be ok. I am a bit suspicious of it, but don't know how to check it.

I did check the voltage at the juction before the lights, and it was ok. Never thought to check the units themselves... Will look into it at the weekend.

Thanks again guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

Clean all connectors with a bit of light sandpaper and the same with the bulbs

Advertisement