Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motherboard fecked?

Options
  • 06-02-2013 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I think my motherboard is fecked, I've replaced my graphics card. the pc should pick up the new card, but it does not.. blank screens.. can anyone help me with tech skills

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Have you installed new drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 welltrained

Have you installed new drivers?

Shouldn't the old driver pick up the new card and let me install the new driver

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Is the display definitely connected to the gfx card and not the motherboard? Is there power connected to the gfx card and is it properly seated?

Is the display definitely connected to the gfx card and not the motherboard? Is there power connected to the gfx card and is it properly seated?

Yes to all and I've tried two different cards and I'm still getting blank screens

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Is there a graphics adaptor built into the motherboard? You may need to set it in BIOS (disable onboard video, enable PCI(e)/AGP)

• Advertisement

Is there a graphics adaptor built into the motherboard? You may need to set it in BIOS (disable onboard video, enable PCI(e)/AGP)
    I don't think there was a on board card.. I had a 9800 driver, now I have a 6800 card but I assume the drive would find the card.. Is it the pixels?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Is the motherboard still picking up the old card, your certain the new card isn't faulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I don't think there was a on board card.. I had a 9800 driver, now I have a 6800 card but I assume the drive would find the card.. Is it the pixels?
    Connect to the display port on the computer (VGA, DVI, HDMI etc.) and not the GFX card and check for a display. You can then check the Device Manager to see if your card is being detected.

Also, if you see nothing on screen connected to the GFX and you do with the motherboard one - then its exactly as Dale Parish suggested, you need to switch to the PCI/PCI-E display in the BIOS.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Connect to the display port on the computer (VGA, DVI, HDMI etc.) and not the GFX card and check for a display. You can then check the Device Manager to see if your card is being detected.

Also, if you see nothing on screen connected to the GFX and you do with the motherboard one - then its exactly as Dale Parish suggested, you need to switch to the PCI/PCI-E display in the BIOS.

I only have connections for a monitor on the graphic card.. I've tried two different cards, blank screens from both.. and the old card got canned a while ago

I tested the new card on another pc and it worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Your old drivers won't work with your new drivers.

When you're using your new GPU and you start up your PC do you see any text that you are meant to see before Windows actually starts?

• Advertisement

Pov06 wrote: »
    Your old drivers won't work with your new drivers.

When you're using your new GPU and you start up your PC do you see any text that you are meant to see before Windows actually starts?

I see nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

... the old card got canned a while ago...
    How did it happen? Was there a power cut / surge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Shut the computer down and disconnect the power cable from the wall socket. Take the card out, then startup the computer without the card and leave for 15 seconds, then hard shut-down the computer and disconnect the power cable again. Install the card making sure it's seated properly and connect any power dongles or molex power connecters to the card and try it.

zenno wrote: »
    Shut the computer down and disconnect the power cable from the wall socket. Take the card out, then startup the computer without the card and leave for 15 seconds, then hard shut-down the computer and disconnect the power cable again. Install the card making sure it's seated properly and connect any power dongles or molex power connecters to the card and try it.

I've give it a reboot when I'm back

Shouldn't the old driver pick up the new card and let me install the new driver

Any other driver that was used on the previous cards will not activate while using a different graphics card. The new card you are trying now would display but it would be on a low resolution until you install it's driver. It should still give you a visual from the standard display driver.

If the card still doesn't work then leave the computer on and turn off the monitor for 10 seconds and then turn back on to see if it can connect, if not then you should follow the previous posters comments above and go into your bios and have a look for video/graphics and make sure it is set right, that is if it lets you into the bios. This is what i was thinking, if you are getting a black screen from start-up and it doesn't even show you the bios post then taking the card out and starting up the computer without the card should default the bios graphic settings when the bios does not see a card installed.

PS: Also check both ends of your DVI cable to make sure there are no bent pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

So the Original issue was that you lost picture and replaced the graphics card in an effort to fix the issue.

So when you press power on the pc do any LED's light up on the tower, Do the fans power on. Does the hard drive power up (you should hear it spinning and see the LED for that light up too).

Have you tried booting up with everything disconnected except the graphics card. (Including any PCI Slots that might be occupied, DVD / HDD).

As mentioned earlier is there a video output on the motherboard if so what type (VGA / DVI / HDMI / Display Port), is there similar inputs on the monitor (or your tv). If there is a match try to get your hands on a cable to test out the mobo display.

He did say that he only has connections for a monitor on the graphic card. so i'd assume there is no VGA connector tied to the mobo.

zenno wrote: »
    He did say that he only has connections for a monitor on the graphic card. so i'd assume there is no VGA connector tied to the mobo.

all the lights come on.. fan for the card and the hard drive makes a normal buzz

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what were the symptoms of the original problem ?

did you replace the graphics card because the computer didn't show anything ?
    (are you fixing the right problem)

do you live up the mountains / in the sticks where there is a possibility of lightening damage via overhead power / telephone cables ?
    (lightening damage means any surviving components will die fairly quickly afterwards)

I see nothing

Blank

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

all the lights come on.. fan for the card and the hard drive makes a normal buzz
    if you take out the RAM it should give error beeps
    (check manual / online for your motherboard)

Got there!!!! Took the ram out and refitted it and Boom.. saved myself some cash... cheer, cheer, cheer

Good work Captain.

Advertisement