Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router issue / advice needed

Options
  • 06-02-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi there,

We have a bog-standard router at home, connected with to basic internet package from our cable provider (outside of Ireland). I'll check the exact make/model when Im home in case its relevant.

More and more I've noticed the internet gets 'stuck' and requires a reset at the router to get going again. Most of the time (can't be sure exactly) it doesn't actually disconnect, at least according to the PC/mobile which still shows a strong wifi signal. But it effectively hangs, with nothing loading. For example if you load facebook on a smartphone the app will warn there's no internet. A quick unplug gets everything back to normal again.

Recently it's got even worse and each morning it seems to be stuck - we can end up reseting it twice a day. The only factor I can see that could contribute to this is an increase in wifi devices in the house (desktop, laptop, smartphones and wifi radio). Although I should stress this didn't just rachet up the minute another PC entered the house, so Im just throwing that possibility out there. We rarely if ever use all of those devices at the same time, and there is no perceivable lag in the line when it's working. There is no issue with range as the place is small, and no interference I'm aware of. The router is locked so there's nobody free-riding on our account.

What I was wondering was, is this just the result of a cheapo router? I have long considered buying a high quality one, potentially one that's compatible with Tomato as it's apparently very useable and superior to most default interfaces.

Before I go throwing away some cash, would anyone have suggestions what might be causing the issue? Are there specific specs in a router I should look for to handle this (minimum never of connections?) or is there a risk that somehow our ISP is giving us a bad connection...I can't see how the latter could be the case considering a reset works each and every time, but perhaps I'm glossing over it.

Any advice welcome, including good router models to buy (I don't want to spend a fortune either)!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

First thing to do is check the website of the guys that make the router to see if there is a firmware update.
    My router will hang if I use a device that's marginally outside the range of the router.
    If you can, try moving your router to another place in the room. There may be interference where it currently is. You say it's a cable modem which implies you have might have it close to your TV. Also, if it's on a corner, most homes have a metal strip running up the corners to assist in dry wall fixing. They wreck havoc with wireless routers.

Advertisement