Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any experience builder provider restocking fee

• 06-02-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭

Tenants claimed electric shower broken called triton - suggested cost of repair prohibitive.

Bought new shower from well known builder provider, plumber/electrician arrives on site, old shower perfect, faulty rcbo.

New shower not even opened. Anyone any experience getting full refund. Need insulation could purchase at that place leaving no one out of pocket.

Ts & Cs on docket suggest 15% restocking charge, never would have expected this for unopened goods, security tape undisturbed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

Villaines wrote: »
    Tenants claimed electric shower broken called triton - suggested cost of repair prohibitive.

Bought new shower from well known builder provider, plumber/electrician arrives on site, old shower perfect, faulty rcbo.

New shower not even opened. Anyone any experience getting full refund. Need insulation could purchase at that place leaving no one out of pocket.

Ts & Cs on docket suggest 15% restocking charge, never would have expected this for unopened goods, security tape undisturbed.

I feel that if you're going to take insulation to the value of the shower that they will waive the restock charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

A merchant is not obliged to take any goods back with or without a restocking charge because you no longer want it , so a 15pc restocking may not be to hard to swallow.
    Returns are subject to goods been faulty only, & your rights then are repair, replace or refund , in that order only.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

You could always sell it on adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Villaines

It may be the law but it will ultimately lead to loss of business for the merchant as the customer that is stung will buy elsewhere in future. Arguably that type of customer is more trouble than he's worth but who knows what the worth of a customer may prove to be. This is part of what a valuer might call goodwill.

A similar DIY outfit would allow for no quibble refund within reasonable timeframe - I suggest all forum users familiarize themselves with ts & cs of these builders providers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

It may be the law but it will ultimately lead to loss of business for the merchant as the customer that is stung will buy elsewhere in future. Arguably that type of customer is more trouble than he's worth but who knows what the worth of a customer may prove to be. This is part of what a valuer might call goodwill.

A similar DIY outfit would allow for no quibble refund within reasonable timeframe - I suggest all forum users familiarize themselves with ts & cs of these builders providers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    So did you not go and look at the shower 1st??

Did you not do a simple check of the mains board and Shower RCB before going off and buying anything???
    I mean you are the landlord and you should be on the ball here.

So dont blame the builders providers for this one.;)
    Builders Providers still has to incure a restocking fee,to buy in/put that product back on the shelf,even after you have bought it.

Exchange the shower for the insulation (to the same financial value) and stop having a go at the builders providers,because you mucked things up.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Villaines

paddy147 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    So did you not go and look at the shower 1st??

Did you not do a simple check of the mains board and Shower RCB before going off and buying anything???
    I mean you are the landlord and you should be on the ball here.

So dont blame the builders providers for this one.;)
    Builders Providers still has to incure a restocking fee,to buy in/put that product back on the shelf,even after you have bought it.

Exchange the shower for the insulation (to the same financial value) and stop having a go at the builders providers,because you mucked things up.

Regards.

No sympathy sought nor blame attributed. No "go" being had.

Experience of enforcement requested. I take it this has not happened to you. So your comment is not very useful to me, but I'm sure you're feeling fairly smug about pointing out the obvious, lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

No sympathy sought nor blame attributed. No "go" being had.

Experience of enforcement requested. I take it this has not happened to you. So your comment is not very useful to me, but I'm sure you're feeling fairly smug about pointing out the obvious, lol.

It has happened to me before,and when it was explained to me many years ago in a builders providers,I understood and had no problem with it.

Smug you say??

No learning that you are at fault for not chacking things out properly 1st,and its not the builders providers fault for charging you a restocking fee.

Take it on the chin and dont have a go at the builders providers over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

It has happened to me and after me getting annoyed it was explained to me this way which was fairly logical..... "While that item was in my possession someone may have came in looking for that item and because I may have bought the last one they have..... they might of lost customers, now because I don't need said item and want the money back I paid for it. They will then charge me 15% because of a possible loss of customers whilst I had the item in my possession".

You also have to take into consideration that people had to serve you at the till and possibly give you a hand loading it into the van, then when you bring it back someone will have to take time putting the item back into their system and restocking it (These people need wages).

Advertisement