Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom: Router restart -> speed drops considerably

Options
  • 06-02-2013 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭

I'm on 3MB broadband with a speed of something like 3072/384 down/up.

Usually I leave the router on 24/7 but I've noticed lately that anytime I restart it I end up with much poorer line speeds. They usually eventually resolve.

Last night I restarted and now my down and up speeds are 224/96 down/up :(
    I would normally have expected it to resolve itself by morning but if anything it's getting worse. 
    How can I fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

sounds iffy but my guess would be you restarted the router during peak times and did a speed test. Im on 3mb also and I find that anytime between 5-10pm the speeds are muck because basically the lines are muck and full of congestion....we are all in the same boat, NGB is the only answer but that just seems to be unheard of in my area :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I'm reasonably lucky in that I normally get my 3MB/s down 38kb/s up and it's usually reliable.
    I did a reset just there and my speed is now   480/96 (kbps) which is better but still far off from what it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭AlanMc86

Same thing happened to me, went from 7Mb down to 3Mb. I used to reliably get 5-6Mb in speed test but now my modem has lowered its speed to 3712/384!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Actually it's back up to 3072/384 (kbps) now so this can be closed/marked resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Actually it's back up to 3072/384 (kbps) now so this can be closed/marked resolved.
    Hi DeepBlue

Glad to hear this is resolved. Keep in touch if you have any querys in the future.

Regards

Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

GR8 work Eircom :) 

Love those guys

Advertisement