Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Sydney

Options
  • 06-02-2013 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hello there,

Can anyone recommend a good broadband deal in Sydney. I'm in Maroubra and would like a fast connection with enough data for movies music etc.

Are iinet any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

I have a TPG broadband connection, ADSL2 20mbps speed (usually get around 15 to 18mbps), unlimited download data. $60 per month. Need active phone line to get set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

ambasite wrote: »
    I have a TPG broadband connection, ADSL2 20mbps speed (usually get around 15 to 18mbps), unlimited download data. $60 per month. Need active phone line to get set up.

Do you have to pay for the phone line per month too?
    If so how much?
    I'm using cable at the moment for $70 p/m usually suits but speed can be slow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I had cable with telstra for the last 2 years. Unlimited at $99 per month. I was pulling about 6-7Mbps, didn't have one issue with it. Was quite expensive though.

I recently moved so I ordered TPG ADSL2+ with home phone line for $60 per month exactly 16 days ago. I am having an awful time trying to get it installed and have had 3 so called 'engineers' out to me at this stage.

Yesterday the TPG guy basically told me they need to get a Telstra engineer at my local exchange to sort it out which will take another 7-8 days. So over 25 days for an installation, which I think is terrible to be honest.

The majority of the fibre and copper infrastructure in Sydney is owned by Telstra. TPG and the likes simple lease lines from Telstra for resale. Similar to the deal with Eircom and Vodafone back home.

Go with the cheapest you can get, you will ultimately be getting a Telstra line anyway so it doesn't make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I priced various broadband packages recently, and I was shocked at the price tbh. The idea was to replace my mobile BB now that i'm in a place with a wired with a phone line. Maybe my expectations were way off, but I expected that I could of picked a basic cable BB with a low cap for around the same price as the wireless BB. But apparently not, looks they process the packages so that its not worth it (or not possible) unless you take out the larger or unlimited caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

TPG once you are set up are brilliant! Yes they can be a bit of a hassle to get set up but once it is they are brilliant .. really fast download speeds, good customer service for $60 or $70 per month.

However, at the moment Dodo are offering the same for a 2 year contract for $60 per month and a free Xbox 360 package! They all come from the same exchange so I don't see much difference so I think I could be changing to Dodo when my contract is due up in March!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

hussey wrote: »
    Do you have to pay for the phone line per month too?
    If so how much?
    I'm using cable at the moment for $70 p/m usually suits but speed can be slow

not paying for the rental phone line, it was already in the house but not active. had to pay activate it to accept ADSL, just a once off payment, can't remember how much that cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

My TPG unlimited ASDL 2 is $59.99 including line rental

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Depends how much you want to download TPG have a 29.99 deal with BB only and 50gig

http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/adsl2-standalone

I find them great but i had to deal with Telstra and TPG at the start as there was no phone line so had to pay Telstra 300 to put it in and take a months contract this took 6 weeks to just get installed and had terrible trouble with them and i was working with TPG in the background so they had plenty of time to get everythiong going and just switched over at the end of the Telstras first month

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Has anyone gOtten naked broadband? Is it any good ir would ADSL be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Has anyone gOtten naked broadband? Is it any good ir would ADSL be better?

Naked broadband is ADSL, it simply means broadband without home phone line bundle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Anyone using iiNet in Perth? Whats it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JohnC83

I'm using Dodo unlimited adsl2 with a phone line rental for $72 a month. I had heard really bad stories about these guys last year but they seemed to have cleaned up their act. Internet is really quick and has never dropped out. I have it 3 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I signed up recently with TPG unlimited internet for $60 a month
    pretty fast d/l speed I got up to 1.8Mbs

Advertisement