Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best big-game goalscorers in football history.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Miroslav Klose

his scoring rate against the top teams, in the big games is really poor. the vast majority of his goals come against the bottom teams in the league.

On the WUM blatantly Edward. Talking out of your hole :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'll just point out players don't win major tournaments "single handedly" or "on their own".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

On the WUM blatantly Edward. Talking out of your hole :D

ill come back with some stats tomorrow, i have to finish up a few things in work and head to the Ireland match.

but are you actually going to dispute that the majority of his goals have come against the bottom teams this season? i think its 4 goals against the top half, but i will confirm that tomorrow.

darced wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused: 99% of my posting comes on threads related to Irish or United issues so your talking rubbish. its you who is derailing the thread here, im talking about fact, that i will back up later.

and see as your replying to it with an insult, it looks like your well up for "playing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Liam O wrote: »
    I'll just point out players don't win major tournaments "single handedly" or "on their own".

'86 WC is about as damn close as you will come to it, you surely admit??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

darced wrote: »

and read the post i replied to, thanks.

• Advertisement

ill come back with some stats tomorrow, i have to finish up a few things in work and head to the Ireland match.

but are you actually going to dispute that the majority of his goals have come against the bottom teams this season? i think its 4 goals against the top half, but i will confirm that tomorrow.

Even it is 4 in less then two years that isn't bad at all. Infact I'd say Rooney's is similar? Also big games in the COPA America and the WC he also scored in from what I remember. So I wouldn't say he is miles away from deserving a mention to be perfectly honest. Ronaldo when he was at United used to go missing in the big games from what I remember? Scored a majority of his goals against "lower" opposition as you so kindly put it.

I think you need to update your fact book Ed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Liam O wrote: »

"virtually"

:confused::confused::confused: 99% of my posting comes on threads related to Irish or United issues so your talking rubbish. its you who is derailing the thread here, im talking about fact, that i will back up later.

and see as your replying to it with an insult, it looks like your well up for "playing".

:pac: Yeah, you go ahead and prove that Luis Suarez is a big game bottler alright. :rolleyes: Jesus Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

He ignores African Cup of Nations as well as many other tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

gimmick wrote: »
    2 champions league finals played, 2 goals, 1 MOTM. What a daft assertion.

Of modern day players, I would certainly add Iniesta. Best big game player in the world at present.

Which two goals would they be?
    By my count he has only one goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Which two goals would they be?
    By my count he has only one goal.

He is talking about Messi.

He scored a header in the '09 final and a shot that slipped past VDS in the '11 final.

• Advertisement

They have been ignored simply by the fact that the African Nations Cup has been excluded whereas the South American and European equivilants are included, thus oplacing them at a massive disadvantage.

Didier Drogba would make the list if it was included and I'm sure there are others - Kanu??

Can't agree with you that the toughest level to compete is a World Cup, the last few have been terrible and the standard of the Champions League is infinitly greater.

The whole concept is completly redicilous anyway, he is essentially saying that someone who scores to make it 5-0 in a final is on a par with someone who scores the winner in a 1-0 final?

The Champions League is overrated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

764dak wrote: »
    The Champions League is overrated.

No it's not. Over-hyped perhaps. But not over-rated. It's rated by most as the best football tournament and it is the best football tournament. By miles.

All the top clubs in the world featuring most of the top players in the world. It can't get much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No it's not. Over-hyped perhaps. But not over-rated. It's rated by most as the best football tournament and it is the best football tournament. By miles.

All the top clubs in the world featuring most of the top players in the world. It can't get much better.

And not only that, the players are training/playing with each other week in, week out which of course creates a greater understanding amongst them in comparison to international football which leads to a higher standard of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Kuyt.

Never the most technically gifted but when you needed a goal he was the man.

Always good for a goal against United as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Solksjaer was always good for the a last minute winner as well.

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    And not only that, the players are training/playing with each other week in, week out which of course creates a greater understanding amongst them in comparison to international football which leads to a higher standard of football.

I wouldn't call the likes of Dinamo Zagreb, CFR Cluj, BATE, Nordsjaelland, etc. top clubs. You can find much better teams in Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Japan, S. Korea, Mexico etc.

It's funny how many South Americans such as Oscar find it easier to score in the Champions League than the Copa Libertadores.

I wouldn't call the likes of Dinamo Zagreb, CFR Cluj, BATE, Nordsjaelland, etc. top clubs. You can find much better teams in Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Japan, S. Korea, Mexico etc.

It's funny how many South Americans such as Oscar find it easier to score in the Champions League than the Copa Libertadores.

You can also find much better teams in the Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Blatter wrote: »
    He is talking about Messi.

He scored a header in the '09 final and a shot that slipped past VDS in the '11 final.

Ok, obviously, I thought he meant Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Ah heyor, that's pretty disingenuous. Why not rate the best teams against each other?

Also, it's funny how South Americans such as Veron and Martin Palermo struggle in the CL but are the main men for their clubs when it comes to the Libertadores.

We can all play this game.

So Luis Suarez is top of a big game bottler list. Of all the players in the league, or Europe or indeed the world.

Homer with yet another classic

They just keep coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

From an English perspective, I'd put forward a slightly surprising name. Michael Owen scored in every knockout match he ever played in for England in major tournaments. If only some of his teammates had delivered when it mattered.

Gerrard

Ah heyor, that's pretty disingenuous. Why not rate the best teams against each other?

Also, it's funny how South Americans such as Veron and Martin Palermo struggle in the CL but are the main men for their clubs when it comes to the Libertadores.

We can all play this game.

It's quite clear those players stepped up to the bigger occasion.

Advertisement