Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the right thing to do here?

• 06-02-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

I'm in a really awkward situation and don't know what to do.... Basically a friend was in a crash yesterday and died this morning. The problem is that its not someone I see regularly, It's someone I go on holiday with most years. We go in a group, there's six of us 1 knows but the other three don't, the three who don't know are all girls one that is sick and has been in hospital for a long time (we don't know what's up with her) and the other two girls are both doing their leaving cert. What I'm worried about with them is that they might find out about it closer to the leaving cert so they might be better knowing now, but then it might upset them now anyway.

Do we tell them or leave it and hope they don't find out for a while?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm in a really awkward situation and don't know what to do.... Basically a friend was in a crash yesterday and died this morning. The problem is that its not someone I see regularly, It's someone I go on holiday with most years. We go in a group, there's six of us 1 knows but the other three don't, the three who don't know are all girls one that is sick and has been in hospital for a long time (we don't know what's up with her) and the other two girls are both doing their leaving cert. What I'm worried about with them is that they might find out about it closer to the leaving cert so they might be better knowing now, but then it might upset them now anyway.

Do we tell them or leave it and hope they don't find out for a while?

you tell them as soon as possible, so they can pass on there condolances to the family or attend the funeral if they wish. to not tell them would be wrong in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Obviously the only right thing to do here is to tell them. I'm guessing you've probably done so already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yeah I did. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Well done, it was the right thing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

Absolutely. A guy I knew in college died and his friends didn't tell everyone, with the result that a lot of people didnt know - as awful as it is, always better to know the truth. well done OP

• Advertisement
Advertisement