Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nightmares and Dreams (long exposure & camera movement)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I have a fondness for this type of image particulary the large blocks of colour like #4.
    It's refreshing not to worry about exposure, sharpness, noise, DOF, composition et al and just see what comes out of the camera.

As with most abstract images it's difficult to critique as it's really subjective and personal. From that perspective #1 & 2 leave me a bit cold.
    The vertical lift shot of the trees (#3) could be a bit darker and use more contrast. If it were mine I'd crop the sky out of it. :)
    #4 & 5 are my faves, even with the camera spot on (top middle right) of the last shot.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

OldGoat wrote: »
    I have a fondness for this type of image particulary the large blocks of colour like #4.
    It's refreshing not to worry about exposure, sharpness, noise, DOF, composition et al and just see what comes out of the camera.

As with most abstract images it's difficult to critique as it's really subjective and personal. From that perspective #1 & 2 leave me a bit cold.
    The horizontal lift shot of the trees (#3) could be a bit darker and use more contrast. If it were mine I'd crop the sky out of it. :)
    #4 & 5 are my faves, even with the camera spot on (top middle right) of the last shot.
    In what way do 1 and 2 leave you cold?
    For me they give me a cold feeling, like I could picture myself lost in a woods and collasping. For me to look at a photo and be able to get a feeling from it speaks strongly about a photo.

For 4 and 5 there was quiet a bit of PP applied, they're quiet different from the original photos.

I like to try different things with photography and expierment a bit. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Very nice, I really like 3 and 4.

I hope you don’t mind me putting this in your thread but it might help if anybody else wants to try if for themselves. It’s a long lecture but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I hope you don’t mind me putting this in your thread but it might help if anybody else wants to try if for themselves. It’s a long lecture but I enjoyed it.

Seriously, is that 2 entire hours of someone telling people how to leave their shutters open for longer than they normally would ? It's sponsored by manfrotto though, not like they have a vested interest or anything :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Seriously, is that 2 entire hours of someone telling people how to leave their shutters open for longer than they normally would ? It's sponsored by manfrotto though, not like they have a vested interest or anything :)

Not really, there is a good bit of storytelling about how they got the photo but there is a good bit on composition and about keeping you pictures sharp even though they are blurred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Interesting concept, I like the first 2 very much. They remind me almost of charcoal drawing I used to do as a kid. Not overly keen on the red or blue versions but that more a personal preference. All in all I like them though as a set, certainly something different, well done!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd generally concur with OldGoat - the last two are the best; the first two have nice textures, but your eye wanders for a focal point which is not there; not a problem with the last two as there's absolutely no suggestion of a focal point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Number 1 has grown on me since I first saw it this morning. It does impart (to me) a sense of foreboding and approaching panic!

4 & 5 are very nice and have the opposite effect of being calming. I really like this style in paintings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Lotsafish

What were you shooting at for #3 and #4? Love them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder , never a truer saying as i just don't get them at all. Never had a nightmare or a dream like those, just saying.....
    suppose we all have different boat floaters !

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

would be nice to at some text to them, one of those times it could really add to an image

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

I really like abstract stuff like this, I find them very intriguing to look at, they kinda draw you in. Of the b&w ones, I prefer the first one. I'm not quite sure why, but I think it is because in the second one the streaks of the circular motion are too obviously recognisable...maybe. Either way, these are dark, mysterious, ominous...and perfectly match the mood of the H.P. Lovecraft stories I'm reading at the moment :-D

But I also really like strong colours, especially all the different shades of blue, so no. 4 would be my favourite here. And what I like in particular about it is that the longer you look at it, the more you become intrigued by what actually lies beneath the abstract surface. The colour would immediately make you think of sea or sky, but the bottom part in particular looks more like a landscape...

In a way this particular style reminds me of the works of Gerhard Richter, who - even though by using a different technique as he's foremost a painter more than a photographer - has created lots of paintings that have a similar effect of (deliberately) hiding or "erasing" a concrete subject and covering it with a layer of abstraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I think they are beautiful. I'd pay good money for No.3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

I love them all, when i look at the first 2 its like falling out of a tree or running through forests at night.
    The others are like watercolors.

Advertisement