Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question on JA

• 06-02-2013 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Asking on behalf of a friend:

Husband takes home (net) around €400 per week

Wife was on 20hr week - 4hrs, 5 day week. Now being reduced to 12 hours, 4 hrs for 3 days.

Does her husbands take home pay automatically exclude her from JA casual workers payment. I tried working it out but it seems his income doesn't entitle her to anything.

No dependents or any other welfare payments or increases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

If she is entitled to JB his income does not come into account. Would need to know her working info for 2011, i.e. how many weeks worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Sue Ellen wrote: »
    If she is entitled to JB his income does not come into account. Would need to know her working info for 2011, i.e. how many weeks worked.

She worked for all over 2011 - 48 weeks, 4 for annual leave. Each at 20 hours a week.

Am I correct in thinking that JB is only paid for a small amount of time, it's not continuous like the casual dockets system where she can claim for the days she will now not be working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

She worked for all over 2011 - 48 weeks, 4 for annual leave. Each at 20 hours a week.

Am I correct in thinking that JB is only paid for a small amount of time, it's not continuous like the casual dockets system where she can claim for the days she will now not be working.

If she has more paid more then 260 contributions in her working life and has the necessary requirements (which she appears to have) in 2011 then she will receive JB for 12 months if she claims before April this year or for 9 months after April. As she will be working 3 days per week she will get JB for the days she is not employed and this allow her to get JB for a longer length of time.

amtw wrote: »
    If she has more paid more then 260 contributions in her working life and has the necessary requirements (which she appears to have) in 2011 then she will receive JB for 12 months if she claims before April this year or for 9 months after April. As she will be working 3 days per week she will get JB for the days she is not employed and this allow her to get JB for a longer length of time.

What would happen when her entitlement to JB runs out?

Based on the info if she has has more than 104 paid cons she will qualify for JB. Her average weekly income in 2011 will determine the rate. JB claims are now for 9 months or 234 ( >260 cons)claim days if you are casual. <260 cons is on for 6 months or 156 days. She would have to be 6 months on claim prior to April to get the 12 or 3 months on claim prior to April to get 9 months on JB.

When the JB runs out she can apply for JA and it will be means assessed and take Husbands income into account.

• Advertisement

Based on the info if she has has more than 104 paid cons she will qualify for JB. Her average weekly income in 2011 will determine the rate. JB claims are now for 9 months or 234 claim days if you are casual. She would have to be 3 months on claim prior to April to get the 12 months on JB.

When the JB runs out she can apply for JA and it will be means assessed and take Husbands income into account.

Thanks for that but based on the info above do you think she would qualify for JA after her JB runs out based as his take home pay? Someone else I got to take a quick look at it yesterday said he knew by looking at it that if her husband was taking home €400 net a week that there was no way she would qualify for JA under a means test.

What she is earning will be taken into account. The means from his income would be approx €204 per week then the means from her own income would then be taken into account( that is based on the net but they use the gross so the means could be higher than that). The max payment amount is €312.80 so firstly the €204 would be deducted and then the daily rate for each day she works. It really depends on her income after that.

What she is earning will be taken into account. The means from his income would be approx €204 per week then the means from her own income would then be taken into account( that is based on the net but they use the gross so the means could be higher than that). The max payment amount is €312.80 so firstly the €204 would be deducted and then the daily rate for each day she works. It really depends on her income after that.

I think her daily rate is as follows:

€12.81*12hrs per week = €153.72/3 days work = €51.24 per day less €20 = €31.24*60% = €18.74*3 days = €56.22

So would it be €312.80 less €204 less €56 = €53 (is this roughly what she would get from JA a week) sorry I know I'm being a pain!

That looks about right. But when his gross income is taken into account that could reduce the €53 further.

That looks about right. But when his gross income is taken into account that could reduce the €53 further.

Ok cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement