Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Ignore" forums?

Options
  • 06-02-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Just a suggestion. We can add users to an "ignore" list. Would it be a whole heap of extra work to add specific forums to a similar list?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Is there much point to it? What needs to be considered when planning and implementing new features is "Does this add any value to the user experience?" What you are requesting here is that the category menu's display forums based on user preferences regarding what the do/don't want to see.

If someone doesn't want to view content of a forum, they just don't click onto it.

I'm not too sure where the value to the user comes from, with removing the option from the menu.

You can choose to only view the forums to which you are subscribed on the home page.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

@Dravokivich:
    While I accept your point somewhat, I'd argue that it brings the same value as the ignore a user functionality.

Why do we need an ignore poster? Is it because some posters make points that bait us, and we'd rather not see what they post at all? If so, can't the same be same of some forums? For example (and only using this as an example) an Atheist could ignore the christianity forum, as the thread that crop up their could be hard for them to "resit" commenting in.

The value this would add, I would suggest, is that it could provide more "interesting" threads listed to the user on the main page/recently posted to. So they'd have 50 latest post in areas of more interest to them.

So for example, if I were say a fundamentalist christian cyclist from Kildare, I could have motors ignored, cork ignored, limerick ignored, atheist & agnostic ignored. etc.. Assuming there was recent activity in these forums, my home page could have 10+ more interesting (to me) threads listed other than those.

You can choose to only view the forums to which you are subscribed on the home page.
    True, but I'm thinking a black list would be more preferable/usable than a white list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But, with how the ignore user feature works, their post is still listed, you need to click on it to view it. If ignoring forums was to be implemented, it is likely to follow the same arrangement.

Also, I think home page displays latest post by all forums you've access to. Unsure if it'll discount a post from a user on your ignored list, let alone an ignored forum.

As mentioned by Whoopsy, if you have preferences, you can subscribe to those forums and then use the my forum tab (http://www.boards.ie/?filter=forums) instead of the home page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Zulu wrote: »
    Would it be a whole heap of extra work to add specific forums to a similar list?

Without a doubt, yes.

Danny

Super! Keep you chaps busy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Zulu wrote: »
    Super! Keep you chaps busy ;)

We're busy enough as it is :p

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I just ignore them with my mind.

I never look at the full forum list, unless there's one I specifically want to find or might fill a purpose. Otherwise I solely navigate through the "My Forums" dropdown, which I find unbelievably useful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement