Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something to consider for noobs and those on the fence

Options
  • 06-02-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

As many of you know on here I threw a bit of a strop on getting my Kanger Twist Kit. It was non functional and I got pretty annoyed. I've been bad mouthing vaping etc here.

HOWEVER, I wanted to add this point to those who are thinking of taking it up or are on the fence.

Since I chucked the kit, I've gone back on the fags. And I'm on more than ever. I have a sore on the roof of my mouth that REALLY hurts, and probably need it checked. I've had dreams for the last 2 weeks about being diagnosed with cancer, and dying like my uncle did last year (as a direct result of smoking). I'm stressed, I'm tired, I'm irritable and I'm smoking ciggarettes like a complete maniac. I feel absolutely horrible and I'm STILL hitting the fags.

So I guess I'm saying, don't let moaners like me put you off. Don't let getting to grips with new technology and a bit of messing around put you off either. The alternative absolutely sucks and I'm absolutely miserable and disappointed in myself.

I doubt any vapers are having these issues. That bloody voice in your head says ahhh this ecig thing sucks, it's x and it's y and so on. You just damn lie to yourself and convince yourself the fags are better.

I couldn't have been more wrong in a lot that I said. If you aren't sure, give it a go. The sheer stress I'm under is horrible and it is completely and utterly my own damn fault!

Don't forget why you are interested in this sort of thing to begin with. Getting annoyed with leaks and crappy batteries beats this!

Have a good day guys. R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭donkey oatey

There's a vapemeet happening on the 16th Feb in Palmerstown. If you come along you can see some of the kits that people use and maybe you'll find one that you prefer to the kanger twist set. Hope you find a way of the fags (whether it's vaping or something else).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Thanks :) Not a bad plan, will try to get down and say hi to people. The twist kit seems cool, it just didn't work. The T2s were leaking severely, and one didn't work. One battery was broken from the get go. However, my current situation is absolutely ridiculous.

I'll have to assess it all again, in a calmer fashion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

very big of you to come back and let others know that, so fair play. get that sore checked and it'll set your mind at ease at least -stress is rarely worth it! and i hope you find a way out of the lovely-fag cycle. it's a vicious b*tch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Hi guys,

As many of you know on here I threw a bit of a strop on getting my Kanger Twist Kit. It was non functional and I got pretty annoyed. I've been bad mouthing vaping etc here.

HOWEVER, I wanted to add this point to those who are thinking of taking it up or are on the fence.

Since I chucked the kit, I've gone back on the fags. And I'm on more than ever. I have a sore on the roof of my mouth that REALLY hurts, and probably need it checked. I've had dreams for the last 2 weeks about being diagnosed with cancer, and dying like my uncle did last year (as a direct result of smoking). I'm stressed, I'm tired, I'm irritable and I'm smoking ciggarettes like a complete maniac. I feel absolutely horrible and I'm STILL hitting the fags.

So I guess I'm saying, don't let moaners like me put you off. Don't let getting to grips with new technology and a bit of messing around put you off either. The alternative absolutely sucks and I'm absolutely miserable and disappointed in myself.

I doubt any vapers are having these issues. That bloody voice in your head says ahhh this ecig thing sucks, it's x and it's y and so on. You just damn lie to yourself and convince yourself the fags are better.

I couldn't have been more wrong in a lot that I said. If you aren't sure, give it a go. The sheer stress I'm under is horrible and it is completely and utterly my own damn fault!

Don't forget why you are interested in this sort of thing to begin with. Getting annoyed with leaks and crappy batteries beats this!

Have a good day guys. R
    Hi Ross I hope your sore is down to nothing more serious than just being run down.
    So now would be a good time to give vaping another go, especially as you say yourself your smoking more than before.
    So money doesn't seem to a problem if your prepared to spend €10 plus a day, so why not try a Vamo its a vv mod and the cheapest one out there, and those who own one swear by them (except those who drop them and damage the fire button :D)
    so for around €50(ish) you can start vaping away again, a lot less than you would spend in a week smoking and by the wording of your post give you peace of mind too.

kiffy wrote: »
    So money doesn't seem to a problem if your prepared to spend €10 plus a day, so why not try a Vamo its a vv mod and the cheapest one out there, and those who own one swear by them (except those who drop them and damage the fire button :D)

i still swear by 'em kiffy you old codge ;)

the vapemeet is a good idea though, give you a chance to see some devices in the flesh and find something that's suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Have to say whatever the experiences that you had with the twist were - you shouldn't leave them put you off !

Esmoking kit has improved leaps and bounds in the past year or two.
    I tried to give up before a couple of years back with ecigs - with limited success (was back on smokes again after 6 months) - problems were batteries, carts and just simply alot of messing!

Anyways I got a kanger (t3) /ego twist kit two weeks ago (based on reading here)- and haven't smoked since.
    I would recommend it to anyone with poor will power (like me!) - once you get over the dubious appearance of it - it really provides an adequate substitute for smoking.

Of course I have my misgivings about eliquid (in particular the sources/manufacturing) - however at least in the short term its doing less harm then smoking.

Anyways perhaps as people have said maybe you should consider going to that vaping meet they are talking about on the forum ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

artyeva wrote: »
    i still swear by 'em kiffy you old codge ;)

the vapemeet is a good idea though, give you a chance to see some devices in the flesh and find something that's suitable.
    Sorry Arty could't resist that dig with your damaged button :p
    I hadn't seen the 2 other posts before I replied to the post, and the meet is a good way to sus out a good tool, especially as it's only 10 days away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Also at the vapemeet there is a little raffle where you could win a starter kit. it'll only cost you whatever you spend getting to the vapemeet.

Money is a factor at the moment, but the price of cigarettes is insane to be fair. So if anything I would stand to save from it.

Thaks for the replies guys, I'll do my best to get to Palmerstown. Cold turkey worked best for me but I'm under considerable pressure and stress lately and I can't seem to get myself into gear. This may be a decent substitute for now. I've tried eSmoking a couple of times, but early on the tech was poor. I was unfortunate getting such a badly broken kit and that WAS offputting. My current situation is far more stressful and concerning. I'm barely able to type as my hands are shaking! I'm not the hypocondriac type so for this to set me off this much is, in and of itself, a concern and a stark warning to me. I'm absolutely miserable and it's hard to even say that as I know it is my fault, I'm the one ****ing up and causing this scenario.

I'll look into other kits again and see what I think. I just wanted something I could vape when I needed a smoke. I got something that produced no vapour whatsoever and wouldn't charge one of the batts. 70+ euro for one battery is a bit of a joke. I SHOULD have returned it but I never got around to it and fell right back into a crappy trap of ciggies, from 10 a day to 20+ :(

Don't do what Donnie Don't does.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Come to the vapemeet Ross I'll give you a hit of my eGo twist and my vivi nova and you'll be throwing out clouds of vapour and getting a nice throat hit and nice taste. Also if you chain vape on it you'll get light headed from all the nicotine :) Other guys at the vapemeet will have stuff more advanced than my ego-twist + vivi nova combo that I'm sure would knock the socks off ya.

• Advertisement

Also it's bad luck you had bad luck :) At the beginning I had some trouble with some cheap chinese imitation stuff. Also this stuff is consumable so expect to throw out atomisers and batteries regularly, but all in all it can be cheaper than smokes, but the biggest plus factor is the health benefits. Even if you spend the same as on smoke on vaping it's still 100x worth it cus nothing is more important than your health.

Thanks guys. I have used the Kanger T2 Twist set up and the vape was good, the particular liquid wasn't to my taste but yeah I DO get the vaping thing... I just need a kit that acutally works.

I might not be able to make vapefest, I'm completely stoney broke, in actual financial difficulty to say the least. I'll probably have to wait a couple of weeks to have the cash. It is well worth looking into again.

Tbh I'm really not into tinkering with these things at all. I want something that works and I can then just fling in the bin when it runs out. Messing with liquids etc is a bit of a pain. The Kangers were an OK compromise (well in theory, in practice they leaked all over the floor). I'll get shoping online in the meantime and see what's what.

The J&J disposables are great idea in theory, not in execution. I love they are cheap and you can just bin the thing when it is done. However, they just don't cut it at all in terms of hit an battery life. I'm looking for a middle ground I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Great idea to get down to the meet in Palmerstown. I wish I could drop down myself but I'll be away. If you're in Dublin you could also drop into the Ovale shop in Gardiner Street. They'll let you try before you buy and in my experience the Ovale e-lips is the easiest kit for starting off. It's more expensive compared to other kits mentioned here but I think it's unbeatable in terms of ease of use. Very little messing about. Also, if you can borrow some money for a kit you'll be able to pay it back within a week or ten days. I know of four people I've recommended the Ovale to and they're all still off cigarettes.

If you come to the vape meet I'll buy you a pint Ross and you can try out my stuff. I plan on bring a few spares of everything and a load of liquids for people to try. Also a couple of spare drip tips so if I ask to take a vape off someones device I'll use my own drip tip to save people getting infected with the zombie virus. As jaxdublin suggests you'd be on your way to paying off a wee loan off a loved one if you didn't need to buy smokes within a week or two. Don't let money put you off your health. Try and save at least a small deposit on a device, borrow the rest and as jaxdublin suggests check out that shop to see if you find something easy to use, also pop by the vapemeet to see if you find something to your liking there.

I thought it was this Saturday. Next Sat might be doable! I'll pop back on to you guys if I can make it and maybe meet you there and have a chat?

Thanks for all the posts guys, I thought it was worth following up. To every downside... there's a FAR worse alternative with cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

16th of February in the silver granite in palmerstown

Cheers guys, is there anything I can do in the meantime, money is absolutely brutal for me for the next few weeks. I can't afford a proper 'rig' but the J&J disposables are a bit pants. Is there a cheap middle ground (carto style or something) that I can get in a shop in Dublin to tide me over?

Smoking is literally killing me, and it is causing me a lot of stress lately... which I try to solve by smoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Get in touch with Cass at Pure Vapour. They're based in Dublin, don't mind collections, and this kit should tide you over well enough.

Bear in mind that if you ever overfill a carto with another juice and it leaks into the battery, the battery will die.

You can get pre-filled cartos to stop such bodged jobs from happening.

Thanks. I'm thinking the refilling / kanger / drip thing isn't for me. I think I'd prefer to buy refilled cartos etc instead. I'll give that a check out. I appreciate the help. My life is in complete turmoil at the moment so I'm sure my posts don't come across the best. You guys have been brilliant! :)
    r

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Ross, I'll be bringing along the Imist 2 and the Biansi elife so you can have a go at them see what you think of them. Going to the Vapemeet if you can will be really worth it. You'll get to try out different kits, see what they look like in person.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to being able to talking to people in person. Think it'll be better than the usual of posting here, and then having a follow up, and then it turns into a load of follow up questions. Some of the vendor sites aren't going as vendors, though they'll be bringing stuff along to show.

• Advertisement

I will try and get there for sure, but can't confirm for sure due to variability in work hours etc.

I'm looking over all the kits and I have realised I don't want to get involved with any filling, changing parts, fixing bits and bobs, bottles of juice etc. Maybe I'd get into that once I've settled into it, but not for now.

Is there a decent quality kit like this that anyone uses? Something like a J & J disposable but much better quality. I can see the appeal of the T2 twist kit, it produces a good hit and holds a lot of juice and charge, but I hated messing around and the leaking, the filling, those damn wicks, twiddling with the twist, the heads, the screw that didn't reach the batt etc just drove me mad.

I'd rather spend more money on convenience than get annoyed at the fiddling and just abandon it. That's a crappy reflection on me, but in all honesty I know it is how I am. It'd be easier to work with that than try to change my personality around vaping! :)

The priority would be:
    Stop smoking
    Start vaping
    Be less of an impatient douche bag.

EDIT: It's worth saying again that I really appreciate all the replies. You guys have been a great, great help.

Pre-filled 2ohm cartos with a standard ego battery.
    Pure Vapour and Vapour Pal sell both of these.

Is an ego-c twist batt (the one from the kanger twist starter kit) a 'standard' ego batt?

the ego-c twist battery has a 'standard' ego threading yes... it also has a standard 510 threading (the ego threading is the larger one on the outside and the 510 is the smaller thread on the inside)

I popped into Ovale Ireland there. Had a chat with the lady there and grabbed 2 non replaceable clearomisers (not ideal but they are a good inbetween for me) and a bottle of liquid. 20 bucks :)

The service was fantastic, she didn't want to sell me a ton of stuff, she seemed actually quite determined to help me not smoke! Gave me a business card to call or pop in if I have any issues. I can't speak highly enough of how good the service was. Brick and mortar suits me personally more than internet, and I'd pay more to pop in and try things first.

I'll get it all set up tonight. I've one cigarette left and hopefully that's IT. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

I've one cigarette left and hopefully that's IT. :)

That's the best attitude to have! It's how I transitioned myself. Smoked my last few, then substituted them with the vaping.

I started to just give up the fags but it's become somewhat of a hobby to me now...don't let that happen to you! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The service was fantastic, she didn't want to sell me a ton of stuff, she seemed actually quite determined to help me not smoke! Gave me a business card to call or pop in if I have any issues. I can't speak highly enough of how good the service was. Brick and mortar suits me personally more than internet, and I'd pay more to pop in and try things first.
    I definitely get where you are coming from. I started out by trying a cigalike and then got a 510-T in a tobacconists in Limerick. There aren't any tobacconists in Cork city though (Unless there is one I haven't been able to find which may be the case - no tobacconists strikes me as bizarre) so I haven't been able to check things out in person.

I got lucky though, with the Imist. It probably isn't a perfect device, for instance the cartridge spot where you fill them isn't very big, so I have to use a syringe with certain e-liquids. The battery is great though and love the device generally. The vapemeet, to me will be like going in to a e cig shop or tobacconist would be like except better, by virtue of talking to so many people about it.

There was one back in September I think, but I couldn't make that. That was around when I moved to Cork, and had too much on my plate. If you don't get to go to this one, you should try and make it to the next one. In either case, hopefully you'll have something to keep you going so you'll have one less worry.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    There aren't any tobacconists in Cork city though (Unless there is one I haven't been able to find which may be the case - no tobacconists strikes me as bizarre) .

Closed last January. Big news Leeside - probably should've stocked ecigs like all the novelty gizmo and PC shops have started doing.

I popped into Ovale Ireland there. Had a chat with the lady there and grabbed 2 non replaceable clearomisers (not ideal but they are a good inbetween for me) and a bottle of liquid. 20 bucks :)

I'll get it all set up tonight. I've one cigarette left and hopefully that's IT. :)

alex in the ovale store is a terribly nice bloke too, met him at the vapemeet in clare.

glad you got sorted ross :)

• Advertisement

Small update: had a day off yesterday and the single worst headache I have ever had. However, I didn't have any cigarettes, I did some vaping but the headache stopped most activities outside of moaning and feeling sorry for myself.

I'm only using one clearomiser, it holds 1.8 ml and is lasting me a fair while so far! :) Today is my first day in work off the ciggies and the iFag, sorry ecig (ha) is holding up well so far. The ego c twist is lasting several hours thus far, and I have the usb charger to hand.

It is more pleasant than smoke, but there is still a craving for the 'usual routine' of smokes. I'm thinking I'll wander out to the smoking area at the usual times and keep that part alive for today. The weekends are significantly easier as I tend not to have much anyway :)

Thanks for all the help folks, I'm crossing fingers this is the start of a healthier, happier me!

I don't know what clearomisers I actually have. You can't change the heads, and they SEEM to heat the bottom rather than the top like the T2 did (I think?) They have a 'V' like logo on them looks like \/// I guess! Holds 1.8 and is flying along.

Advertisement