Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something to consider for noobs and those on the fence

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

That's a Vision Clearomizer

If you can't replace the head it's a v2, if you can replace the head, it's a v3!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

A lot of people have side effects from quitting smoking. Some people on here have complained about things like a rash and sore lips and coughing and loads of stuff. Some of them said they've gone to the doctor to get it checked out why it's happening. Maybe they thought it's the ecigs. However the ones that posted they went to the doctor said the doctor told them it's very common to have these side effects when quitting smoking and generally they clear up within a few days time. That being said however if you do have health problems best course of action is see a doctor. All I'm saying is that if the headache has gone away happy days and good to hear the second time around vaping is going better. Vaping is always going to be a bit more of a pain in the ass than just whipping out a smoke and lighting her up. But at least now you don't have to stress and worry about your health and infact now over time you're going to start feeling much healthier. Remember to drink extra water now that you vape because vaping drys the mouth and throat and can dehydrate you a bit which can cause headaches etc. If you drink an extra glass of water a day that will be more than enough! Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Small update: had a day off yesterday and the single worst headache I have ever had. However, I didn't have any cigarettes, I did some vaping but the headache stopped most activities outside of moaning and feeling sorry for myself.
    I started getting headaches near the start too. Couldn't be more specific as it's going back to end of May/start of June. It was while I was using the 510-T and Tobacco Ice. I was thinking it must be the e-cigs as I've done cold turkey with regular cigs for like a month a load of times but just enjoy the habit, so would go back. Never experienced headaches as a result of that.

Anyway, I saw people posting here that they thought it was related to being off the cigs. I'm not sure that assessment is entirely right, but it made me think it'll pass, so I went off and bought another e-liquid. Tried it out, and I had finished the lot before I went with the conclusion that I wasn't getting headaches off that. I'd only bought one e-liquid replacement which was the one that was gone, and I hadn't actually thrown out the previous one. I went back to it, and it was fine, didn't get any headaches off it, so I was happy out. There is definitely an acclimation aspect, as to the exact acclimation, I couldn't say. The PG/VG content, would be my guess.

Edit: Note obviously this is my experience, and there may be an element of "breaking from regular cigs/the tar and all that goes with that" where it might not have been the case for me for others. I can't really say it doesn't play a role for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Thanks for all the feedback, I can't be sure if the headache is at all related to vaping or smoking, didn't make that clear. Was more making the point I didn't need to smoke, or vape much as I was sick. Didn't plan on a quit day but that kind of fell into my lap. Was a day off work wasted... excpet I didn't smoke so that makes it a worthwhile day.

I'm off work in 2 hours now and haven't smoked yet, I'm having a few stealth vapes at my desk and I do feel a bit dizzy / unwell. I might reign back the liquid to a lower one (16 mg is a bit high I think). Still beats the damn fags a million times over so far!

I don't drink so the weekend won't be too bad, I hope. I definitely need the ecig around as a crutch atm for certain situations, but less than I thought. So far the plan is to toally stop in a week or 2, or once the gear starts to degrade. Fingers crosed again. Appeciate all the comments!

Yea man keep a few smokes around for when you need them. Lots of people quit really quickly, some others take a few days or weeks, don't feel pressured, make it enjoyable.

I prefer the lower nic juice myself but some people find they need the higher nic or they end up with their vaping device basically stuck to their face all day. Stealth vaping is the best! haha love it. Was stealth vaping in a resturant last night and everything. Hold the vapour in for a bit then blow it down under the table, feck all vapour comes out that way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

not sure how stealthy you're being if you're bending down to stick your head under the table every 15 minutes

I just pretend I'm a very messy eater, which by the look of me people tend to believe rather easily

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Ah crap, are we supposed to be stealth vaping in work?
    I'm here at my desk with a cloud around me.

Well done RossFixxxed, you're doing good.

So I got cocky and went and bought some zero nicotine liquid, and it is HORRIBLE. There's not throat hit off it and immediately I want to go out and buy cigarettes!

So this has me thinking: I got this kit to quit smoking, but I do not want to take up vaping. Obviously, I started too quick from 16 mg straight to zero, but basically I'm as addicted as I was. I KNOW it's a harm reduction situation, and that's good, but I still feel like the same dirty addict, filling my little bottles, and carrying the kit around.

This isn't a justification to go back on the smokes, and I haven't. I've refilled with the 16mg for now. I dunno. I still wonder how pumping myself full of nicotine is going to help me quit nicotine.

Even with the 16 mg I'm wandering around jealous of non smokers, but I'm also jealous of those who ARE smoking! I'm going around smelling the smoke and loving it.

I've approached this all wrong, goddamn ADHD makes everything seem so complicated.

Anyone with experiences to share on this, or tips and tricks? Am one step away from buying a pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭donkey oatey

It is common practice to taper the dose of addictive substances when weaning someone off something. Maybe thing of vaping as a less harmful nicotine delivery system that can be used with lower and lower concentration of nic.

• Advertisement

It is common practice to taper the dose of addictive substances when weaning someone off something. Maybe thing of vaping as a less harmful nicotine delivery system that can be used with lower and lower concentration of nic.

Yep I dived in at the deep end there, and realised quickly that was a mistake. I'll work on lowering it slowly over the next few weeks, have the zero now at least saved away in my desk.

I just feel that continuing nicotine witout smoking is kind of a crappy limbo for me. I can't smoke, but I'm keeping the drug coursing through my veins all day.... Seems like quitting cocaine by smoking cocaine tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Marshall987

So I got cocky and went and bought some zero nicotine liquid, and it is HORRIBLE. There's not throat hit off it and immediately I want to go out and buy cigarettes!

So this has me thinking: I got this kit to quit smoking, but I do not want to take up vaping. Obviously, I started too quick from 16 mg straight to zero, but basically I'm as addicted as I was. I KNOW it's a harm reduction situation, and that's good, but I still feel like the same dirty addict, filling my little bottles, and carrying the kit around.

This isn't a justification to go back on the smokes, and I haven't. I've refilled with the 16mg for now. I dunno. I still wonder how pumping myself full of nicotine is going to help me quit nicotine.

Even with the 16 mg I'm wandering around jealous of non smokers, but I'm also jealous of those who ARE smoking! I'm going around smelling the smoke and loving it.

I've approached this all wrong, goddamn ADHD makes everything seem so complicated.

Anyone with experiences to share on this, or tips and tricks? Am one step away from buying a pack.

Don't cave in and buy fags, stick with your 16 mg and stop thinking its to high, think positive about vaping, if you keep worrying bout it, you'll convince yourself smoking is the easier option.

You'll soon get over the smell of smoke and it won't be tempting, I can be around smokers all day now, and I'd never get an urge to smoke a fag, I'm in a band and everyone else in it is smokes and gigging was the hardest part when drinking and running out for a quick fag on break. But after a few gigs that feeling was gone.

Vaping is just an all round better option and to me nicer tasting option.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

give yourself some time to get used to it, lower the juice to 14mg or 12mg first when you're ready. i know you say you want to cut out nic altogether but i don't know of anyone that would be able to able to wean themselves off anything in 5 days.

be patient.

you'll get there eventually but stop pressurising [no idea how to spell that] yerself :)

artyeva wrote: »
    give yourself some time to get used to it, lower the juice to 14mg or 12mg first when you're ready. i know you say you want to cut out nic altogether but i don't know of anyone that would be able to able to wean themselves off anything in 5 days.

be patient.

you'll get there eventually but stop pressurising [no idea how to spell that] yerself :)

I tend to dive into things, with a deficit of attention... and hyperactivity... eh I jump in without looking like a bloody fool. I'm reigning it back in and readjusting the time line way out on this one!

Thanks for the kind words folks, bloody smoking is even more insidious than I gave it credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Vodka @ 5-10%.

Well I cracked. Like a mad yoke. They're pretty horrible aren't they? I've reloaded the 16mg for now, have to keep the mindset of it is healthier and over time I can lower it. Patience and common sense are NOT my friends.

Thanks again guys. I'll stick with the nic liquid for now as the zero just frustrated me, no point in finding excuses for now.

Yep I dived in at the deep end there, and realised quickly that was a mistake. I'll work on lowering it slowly over the next few weeks, have the zero now at least saved away in my desk.

I just feel that continuing nicotine witout smoking is kind of a crappy limbo for me. I can't smoke, but I'm keeping the drug coursing through my veins all day.... Seems like quitting cocaine by smoking cocaine tbh.

It's nothing like that really. In the world 5 million smokers die every year. The equivalent of thirty 747's crashing everyday. 100 million smokers died in the 20th centuary. If nothing changes one billion smokers will die in the 21st century.

Cigarettes started off as tobacco leaves rolled in paper. Since then tobacco companies have added a cocktail of chemicals much worse than nicotine to cigarettes. Chemicals to keep them burning when you put them down. In the 1980's they discovered a new chemical catayst for nicotine they could add to cigarettes to make them even more addictive.

Nicotine itself is a naturally occurring chemical. It's derived from Niacin which is one of the chemicals listed on a bunch of stuff on the label of my expensive B vitamin supplements bottle. Some other plants contain it in small amounts like Celery.

I'm not advocating people take up nicotine. Nicotine does have some side effects of it's own that in incredibly high doses (like everything) can be poisonous. Also if you've got heart problems it makes your heart pump faster etc. But for a smoker vaping is nothing like trying to quit smoking cocaine by snorting it or something instead. It would probably be more comparible to trying to quit heroin by taking up smoking medical marijuana.

If you're vaping (at any strength of nicotine) is a clear and major win over smoking. Congratulations man. If I were you I'd be patting myself on the back, walking around with a big grin on my face, while bellowing clouds of vapour everywhere.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Well I cracked. Like a mad yoke. They're pretty horrible aren't they? I've reloaded the 16mg for now, have to keep the mindset of it is healthier and over time I can lower it. Patience and common sense are NOT my friends.

Thanks again guys. I'll stick with the nic liquid for now as the zero just frustrated me, no point in finding excuses for now.

Ross, I bought an ecig in November. I too had a pain in my face filling the thing with liquid every day but quickly got over it. Filling it is a hell of a lot easier than walking or driving to the shops. I couldn't be bothered with mods or fixing things; and buy 2 or 3 long wick atomizers for my T2 every time I order liquid. And now I spend an average of €7 to €8 a week.
    I reduced the nic from 18mg to 15 (mixed 18 and 12) to 12 and now I'm on 9mg. The throat hit reduced, but as I got used to it I dropped the nic a bit more. I'm amazed at how quickly I've managed to do that.
    You're right, it's all about mindset. It's been said that the best way to kick a habit is to replace it with another. Give the ecig a real go for a full month and you'll be sorted.

Advertisement