Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portumna 100km, 50km, Marathon & Half-Marathon 15/06/2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

seems to be a good crowd across the 4 races,lookin forward to it know

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

How do you receive your entry?

I paid online but didn't get an email?

iancairns wrote: »
    How do you receive your entry?

I paid online but didn't get an email?
    check if ur on the entrants list on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Same as that. On the entrants list but no e mail... Was gonna give it another couple of days before I followed up on it...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Really not hoping for much when doing the 50km, be lucky if I i even get the same time as last year I'd say....since the Limerick Marathon I've not done longer then a 20mile run. I also seriously trashed my legs on the weekend of the 26th May doing the Cabot Trail Relay, they are still recovering from that!

:(

• Advertisement

Hey ya can someone confirm if there will be energy gels at fuel stations or should i buy a belt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Cabaal wrote: »
    Really not hoping for much when doing the 50km, be lucky if I i even get the same time as last year I'd say....since the Limerick Marathon I've not done longer then a 20mile run. I also seriously trashed my legs on the weekend of the 26th May doing the Cabot Trail Relay, they are still recovering from that!

:(
    16 miles is as far as I've gone since Limerick ..... it'll be grand :D
    Hey ya can someone confirm if there will be energy gels at fuel stations or should i buy a belt?
    From the website:
    There are two official refreshment stations on the course at about 2.5k and 5km marks. One at Start and finish and one after the Marina. Please note the refreshment are only available when passing them on your right hand side to avoid crossing the course in front of other athletes.
    The official Refreshment/Handling Zones shall be marked clearly by signs “beginning” and “end” and will be approximately 400 m long.
    Official refreshment tables will be provided with Water/mineral waters without gas, electrolyte beverages, bananas and other fruits, Cola, glucose/sugar, salt, biscuits etc...
    At the end of every refreshment zone sponges will be available.
    Tables will also be provided for ultra participants only for personal food and beverages, not for marathon participants.
    Competitors can use their own personal drinks and food at all official Refreshments Stations provided.
    • All personal food and beverages must be placed in bags clearly marked with the competitor’s name and race number, and handed to designated race official at the refreshment table at the start line before the race begins.
    Allowed support in the Official Refreshment/Handling Zones
    • In the official Refreshment/Handling Zones the handlers and coaches may put the refreshments into the hands of the athletes.
    • During the handover of drinks and food the handlers may accompany the athletes within the Refreshment/Handling Zone, but other competitors in no case may be obstructed.
    • Team management can support athletes for any shoe and dress change.
    • Any medical support is permitted e.g. treatment of smaller injuries, blisters, by massages etc.
    • Transmission of information of any kind is also permitted.
    Note: All this support is allowed only within the Official Refreshment/Handling Zones - not in the Drinking/Sponging Stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Poc ar Buile

Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!

Half Marathon:
    Martyboy48
    elPadrino

Marathon:
    Belcarra
    ger664
    Aimman

50km Ultra:
    Cabaal
    Bugsy2000
    career_move
    TFBubendorfer

100km Ultra:
    ultraman1
    oisin11178
    b.harte
    Hot to trot
    Poc ar Buile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Feel like a complete lightweight,signing up for the little half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

jfh wrote: »
    Feel like a complete lightweight,signing up for the little half

You're only a lighweight if you don't try... The "little" half is demanding emough, and if you put a lot into it, you'll take a lot out of it..

I'm sorry, the impression I got from your post was fairly negative.. I may be wrong...

See you at the start line friend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

martyboy48 wrote: »
    You're only a lighweight if you don't try... The "little" half is demanding emough, and if you put a lot into it, you'll take a lot out of it..

I'm sorry, the impression I got from your post was fairly negative.. I may be wrong...

+1 Great reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Half Marathon:
    Martyboy48
    elPadrino

Marathon:
    Belcarra
    ger664
    Aimman

50km Ultra:
    Cabaal
    Bugsy2000
    career_move
    TFBubendorfer

100km Ultra:
    ultraman1
    oisin11178
    b.harte
    Hot to trot
    Poc ar Buile

Pulling out of the 50k but I'll be there to cheer the rest of ye on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

I'm in for the marathon, praying it cools down a bit..

Half Marathon:
    Martyboy48
    elPadrino

Marathon:
    Belcarra
    ger664
    Aimman
    Plumber77

50km Ultra:
    Cabaal
    Bugsy2000
    career_move
    TFBubendorfer

100km Ultra:
    ultraman1
    oisin11178
    b.harte
    Hot to trot
    Poc ar Buile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

martyboy48 wrote: »

yes you are wrong, it was said in jest, believe me i know exactly how demanding a half is, got run down after pushing myself hard in limerick half.

i would love to have a go at one of the longer distances but i "fear" the unknown. admire those that throw themselves into it. & portumna is geared towards the longer distance. next year hopefully.
    best of luck in the half

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Half Marathon:
    Martyboy48
    elPadrino
    Amphkingwest

Marathon:
    Belcarra
    ger664
    Aimman
    Plumber77

50km Ultra:
    Cabaal
    Bugsy2000
    career_move
    TFBubendorfer

100km Ultra:
    ultraman1
    oisin11178
    b.harte
    Hot to trot
    Poc ar Buile

Had planned for popping the 50k cherry here this year but without the quality work done I'm not happy about just 'ticking the box'.

Going for a PB over half instead having gone 1:39 (Kinvara) / 1:37 (Limerick) I'm running for 1:34:58 in Portumna.

See you all on Saturday. Best of luck to everyone starting ahead of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Half Marathon:
    Martyboy48
    elPadrino
    Amphkingwest
    Mr.Wiggle

Marathon:
    Belcarra
    ger664
    Aimman
    Plumber77

50km Ultra:
    Cabaal
    Bugsy2000
    career_move
    TFBubendorfer

100km Ultra:
    ultraman1
    oisin11178
    b.harte
    Hot to trot
    Poc ar Buile

Just signed up for the 1/2M event .
    Decided after the Cork City Marathon that I'd run several 1/2M's leading up to Octobers Dublin City Marathon and the legs really need something to get them moving again to be honest.
    Will also be crewing for another boardsie who's running the 100km and am really looking forward to the whole day out !
    Here's hoping for a great day's running for all of us!!:)

Gonna be a 1/2 marathon show down between Online and Bricks & Mortar :D

Gonna be a 1/2 marathon show down between Online and Bricks & Mortar :D

And I was all set for an easy jaunt around the forest...reputations are on the line now...pb of 1.31 here I come!!!

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    And I was all set for an easy jaunt around the forest...reputations are on the line now...pb of 1.31 here I come!!!

Anyone got a spare 6mins they can give me?

I think I'll be looking for them on Saturday :D

Hey lads and ladies. I doing the marathon saturday and just wondering how GPS is affected in the forest. Anyone that has done this race in the last few years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

plumber77 wrote: »
    Hey lads and ladies. I doing the marathon saturday and just wondering how GPS is affected in the forest. Anyone that has done this race in the last few years?

Ah, no need for gps, I know Galway can seem a bit wild, but you won't get lost in the woods. :D

The trees won't affect signal that much, you will still have a record of it. I did it last year and the watch was spot on.

The one thing we didn't want on Saturday is happening. Wet and 40km winds!

b.harte wrote: »
    Ah, no need for gps, I know Galway can seem a bit wild, but you won't get lost in the woods. :D

The trees won't affect signal that much, you will still have a record of it. I did it last year and the watch was spot on.

I was in Galway for a stag a while back, can get wild enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

The one thing we didn't want on Saturday is happening. Wet and 40km winds! ****

I'd be hopeful that the forest setting would limit the impact of any wind in a similar way to Donadea. I guess the rain will still get at us though!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

belcarra wrote: »
    I'd be hopeful that the forest setting would limit the impact of any wind in a similar way to Donadea. I guess the rain will still get at us though!:rolleyes:

There is a section the last Km that is open and into the direction of prevailing wind. Thankfully the norwegians are forecasting rain 13°C and a fresh 8m/s westerly breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The one thing we didn't want on Saturday is happening. Wet and 40km winds!

Getting your excuses in already? :D

Getting your excuses in already? :D

Pacers...always blame the pacers!!

get ready for this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

ultraman1 wrote: »
    get ready for this :D

Looks hilly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Let's get the predictions out girls and boys. I'll get the ball rolling.

Oisin11178- 100k- 9.59

Advertisement