Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portumna 100km, 50km, Marathon & Half-Marathon 15/06/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

How'd people get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

blockic wrote: »
    How'd people get on?

Not good. Not good at all. :O
    Major blow up after half way and final 5km loop was at jogging pace with a hr at 10km pace. DNFed at 27km. Bad habit that must be stopped!

MrStew did 3:20, just outside a pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

blockic wrote: »
    How'd people get on?

Similar blow up here. 3:25 never on and 3:30 attempt cut short. Could not take on gels and more importantly electrolyte from Lap 3. Suffered serious cramps for lap 6,7 & 8. Got home in 3:52 ish.

You could not fault the course or the organisation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

belcarra wrote: »
    Major blow up after half way and final 5km loop was at jogging pace with a hr at 10km pace. DNFed at 27km. Bad habit that must be stopped!

Ah sheet sorry to hear that John. Longford so?

Good to hear Olwyn clings on to her house pb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Tough break, third time lucky this year hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

For whatever reasons, it sounds like it was a tough day out there. I was talking to one of our club members & there were similar stories of major blow ups on our side from experienced runners.

Didn't make it out there today but I'm already planning for next year.

Savage running by Ruth Ann Sheahan again in the 100k. As far as I know she averaged 8.30's for the whole lot despite feeling sick for the last 4 hours. A machine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    For whatever reasons, it sounds like it was a tough day out there. I was talking to one of our club members & there were similar stories of major blow ups on our side from experienced runners.

Didn't make it out there today but I'm already planning for next year.

Savage running by Ruth Ann Sheahan again in the 100k. As far as I know she averaged 8.30's for the whole lot despite feeling sick for the last 4 hours. A machine!!
    Ruthann was looking very smooth every time I saw her - fair play to her, that's savage running!

What's ur club Bugsy...Athenry?

Very well organised by Seb & co. Only thing I would say is it got quite congested out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Ruthann was looking very smooth every time I saw her - fair play to her, that's savage running!

What's ur club Bugsy...Athenry?

Very well organised by Seb & co. Only thing I would say is it got quite congested out there.

Yep, Athenry. It was nearly like a home race last year there were so many of us competing. That was the plan again this year but between injuries, illness & pregnancies we were decimated.

I found it fine last year but with the extra races & the increased popularity I could well imagine it getting crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

10.49 for me, had a few stomach problems early and leg problems later on,jjust happy to finish.
    Ultraman1 broke 10 hours, one of the steadiest runs I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

3:39:11 for the 50k, third place. :):):)

Great race. Lovely course, well organised and extremely friendly atmosphere.

Rarely have I had so much fun while wearing clothes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

3:39:11 for the 50k, third place. :):):)

Great race. Lovely course, well organised and extremely friendly atmosphere.

Rarely have I had so much fun while wearing clothes!

Well done chief - another fantastic training run!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Its official, b.Harte is a Portumna 100km finisher...kudos to you Mr.b !! and before the start/finish line ran out of air and collapsed..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

I've come to terms with the fact that I just cant race easy. Ran the first two laps in great company, thx Akw great to meet you, and pushed on for a 1.32 finish. Legs in bits but am still buzzing from the whole day. Next year cant come fast enough!! Well done all !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Major blow up after half way and final 5km loop was at jogging pace with a hr at 10km pace. DNFed at 27km.

Sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

completed my first marathon here today and have to say thanks to Tom the 4hour pacer who helped me on the last lap to come in just under the 4 hours.great day overall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Gutted for you J, never an easy decision to make. Still, everyone has bad days, onwards and upwards for you. Maybe it was too short for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Found it brutal tough to be honest. Heard good things about the forest marathon but hated most of it. Was gunning for a 3:15 time but ran most of it on my own. You miss out on running with company.
    I absolutes hated the laps, was such a mental thing clicking them up, having people run by you on same track made it awful tough. Especially seeing people struggle everywhere me included. But was as well run as could be. Loads of water handed out which was great. Absolutely crawled home second half stopping loads but still set a PB of 3:28:55.

Well done organisers but might try somewhere different next time.

Just me 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

iancairns wrote: »
    Found it brutal tough to be honest. Heard good things about the forest marathon but hated most of it. Was gunning for a 3:15 time but ran most of it on my own. You miss out on running with company.
    I absolutes hated the laps, was such a mental thing clicking them up, having people run by you on same track made it awful tough. Especially seeing people struggle everywhere me included. But was as well run as could be. Loads of water handed out which was great. Absolutely crawled home second half stopping loads but still set a PB of 3:28:55.

Well done organisers but might try somewhere different next time.

Just me 2 cents

You want them to have the forest marathon somewhere other than the forest :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I'm glad that's over.
    I was in bits at 35km and was thinking of pulling the plug after running out to 50km.
    Whatever crewman Mr.Wiggle said to me I pissed me off enough to keep chipping away.
    So I did, and after 13:19:16 I finished my first 100km.
    Will I do it again, most likely.
    Will I do it differently? Not sure, apart from a sugar blow out involving marshmallow flogs, and the sugar crash that came afterwards (coincidentally at KM 33) I felt my approach to fuelling worked well.
    40km I was feeling better, knew any target time I had was going to slide and just dug in and ticked off the distance.
    I certainly enjoyed the 2nd 50 more than the 1st and felt a lot more relaxed in myself.
    From 70km on I was starting to get some cramping in my left thigh but noting some stretches couldn't clear.
    At one stage I though I was being stung/bitten so I lifted my leg to swat my calf and my hamstring locked completely, the air was momentarily blue, but I managed to walk it out. Turns out it was just a mud splatter drying.
    The support on course was great, it got very sparse late in my run but to be honest at that stage I barely noticed.
    As ever the marshals and other volunteers were great, the feeling of sociability was nice and I like the atmosphere here.
    Nice to finally put faces to boards names, even though ye're nothing like I had ye pictured.
    Some very impressive running there today, I was more impressed with the people who ran great times and managed to do so while having a good time and interacting on every lap(ping) with those of us on the slow bus, savage stuff and you know who you are.
    See some of you in a few weeks for marley to roundwood, see some more of you on the Kerry-way in September.
    A special thanks to Mr. Wiggle, we've been friends for years, running buddies for a good few of those, but yesterday you stepped up and managed to get me to the finish line of something I and others didn't 100% believe I could do, so kudos to you.
    I'll be asking you to crew for me again.
    [INSERT PICTURE OF GWENETH PALTROW OSCAR MELTDOWN HERE] :D

Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Enjoyed the day once again. Didn't get the time I wanted, but there was great support along the way and great to keep bumping into the other runners along the course.

Plenty of refreshments at both ends of the course. The staggered start times kept the paths busy with runners which was probably a bonus for the 100k guys to have some company on the trail for the day.

Well done to the Fil-Ireland lads on their first pacing duty and to all the volunteers who had a long day on the course but did a great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've written my usual, self-indulgent, rambling race report
    http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.ie/2013/06/at-my-happy-place.html

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Hi all,

Thank you very much to all participants. The atmosphere has always been to the great ultra, marathon and local community we have. You guys made that race. It s becoming victim on his own success. Lots of thinking to do for next year.

Results will be posted as soon as I get them, I know how badly you want them.

With thanks

Sebastien

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Awful experience for me race wise, didn't feel well at 10miles and later my legs were killing me but I'm a stubborn son of a bitch so i was determined to finish even if it turned out to be I'd say almost 30min longer then last years time, (battery in garmin died at around 4:40 so waiting on official time)

Will get to writing something up in the next day or two, Sure I'll put it down as a training run of sorts and I'll still be back next year,

Big thanks to Seb and all the volunteers, you put on a good event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jcunniffe

Results on redtagtiming.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Missed out on my sub 1.40 attempt but still got a small pb to finish in 1.41.44 so not all bad. Felt like I went out a bit to hard (maybe not though) and then the heat just drained me. Found it hard going in the last 10k. I was in bits after it so know I gave it a good bash. Looking back on it now, I'm happy enough with it. A few lessons learned for the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

Just after checking the results and its confirmed a new pb for me :D thrilled with that even though I leaked some serious time last 2 laps.Great to meet Joe, Dave and John. Enjoyed the company over the first few laps. Really thought Joe was looking strong and on course to smash his pb, hard to get going after the call of nature on the 2nd last lap. Really wanted to stop myself to do the same but I knew I wouldn't get going again. Joe will do it next day out no doubt and comfortably. Enjoyed the loop format in the marathon, although if it keeps growing in popularity congestion could become an issue. Well done to the organisers and volunteers. Thought having the kids help out was a lovely touch, such a polite and helpful bunch. Well done to all..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 charlie933

Thanks Seb great day happy with 4.20 for 50km marshalls deserve all the praise for standing around in the MAD conditions. Looking forward to 2014

plumber77 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the loop format in the marathon, although if it keeps growing in popularity congestion could become an issue. Well done to the organisers and volunteers. Thought having the kids help out was a lovely touch, such a polite and helpful bunch. Well done to all..

Thanks for the nice comments, thought also about congestion alright, I have a simple solution for it :)

I won't take more people next year, but will organize each events better and considering to remove the 10km.

Seb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

locteau wrote: »

13th in the Marathon. I'll take that!

Advertisement