Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps vs Garmin

• 06-02-2013 1:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm training for a marathon and currently use MapMyRun on my iPhone. I find it great. It tells me my average speed and pace after every mile. Maps the entire run on GPS, gives a total workout summary and breakdown. All of this without having to once look at it from the start to finish of the run.

I'm sure it's probably not 100% accurate but it's accurate enough for me.

I'm thinking of buying a Garmin but wondering do I really need one?

WHat can the Garmin do that the App can't?

One positive of the Garmin is that it will work out in Connemara, I ran it last year and my iPhone could not pick up any signal to use the App!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This has been discussed a number of times (e.g. here, here, etc.) so you might get a better result from doing a quick search. I'd suggest that if you are happy with your iphone/app combination, you're better off sticking with it (until you find that you really need an alternative). Typical reasons for switching to a watch-based GPS (there are more manufacturers than Garmin):
    1)Portability
    2)Waterproof
    3)Battery life
    4)Accuracy
    5)Advanced training/workouts
    6)Multisport
    7)Doesn't require mobile coverage
    8)Sturdiness
    9)Peripheral connectivity
    10)Works abroad without data connection
    11) Accessibility

That's all I got for now..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Cheers, sorry for not searching first.

Lock thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Cheers, sorry for not searching first.

Lock thread
    The threads are not that easy to find, as words like Garmin, Forerunner and smartphone tend to get bandied around quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Much easier to check a watch for time/pace/distance than to check a phone. (Take it out of your pocket? Have earphones in all the time?)

On the other hand, it's much easier to check a watch for time/pace/distance than to check a phone, so you might end up running with your arm in front of your face all the time...

RayCun wrote: »
    Much easier to check a watch for time/pace/distance than to check a phone. (Take it out of your pocket? Have earphones in all the time?)

On the other hand, it's much easier to check a watch for time/pace/distance than to check a phone, so you might end up running with your arm in front of your face all the time...

TBH I would think the opposite. I have the iPhone strapped to my arm. The voice tells you at whatever setting you want (every km/mile/5 minutes) what distance/pace/speed you are at.

I would find this much less distracting than looking at a watch. You don't look at the phone, it tells you everything you need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

This has been discussed a number of times (e.g. here, here, etc.) so you might get a better result from doing a quick search. I'd suggest that if you are happy with your iphone/app combination, you're better off sticking with it (until you find that you really need an alternative). Typical reasons for switching to a watch-based GPS (there are more manufacturers than Garmin):
    1)Portability
    2)Waterproof
    3)Battery life
    4)Accuracy
    6)Multisport
    8)Sturdiness
    11) Accessibility

Main reason is that can be fully charged before a run cause it serves a single purpose. Also a watch doesn't take calls on a run :)

rom wrote: »
    Main reason is that can be fully charged before a run cause it serves a single purpose. Also a watch doesn't take calls on a run :)

Again, two null points thou. If I'm doing 20+miles I'll be sure to have it at 100% battery and will have the phone on silent or divert. I'm not popular enough for calls to be an issue anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

1)Portability
    2)Waterproof
    3)Battery life
    4)Accuracy
    6)Multisport
    8)Sturdiness
    11) Accessibility

12) you don't have to carry a phone with you on every run :rolleyes:

wrstan wrote: »
    12) you don't have to carry a phone with you on every run :rolleyes:

Again, null point. You strap a phone to your arm, you strap a watch to your wrist.

Just like this..

black-GYM-font-b-RUNNING-b-font-Sports-Arm-Armband-Cover-Case-font-b-For-b.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Again, null point. You strap a phone to your arm, you strap a watch to your wrist.

Just like this..

black-GYM-font-b-RUNNING-b-font-Sports-Arm-Armband-Cover-Case-font-b-For-b.jpg

Not exactly lightweight though is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The voice tells you at whatever setting you want (every km/mile/5 minutes) what distance/pace/speed you are at.

Fine when you're running on your own. In a race you run the risk of someone grabbing your phone and smashing it to get the stupid voice to shut the **** up :D

false.jpg
    watch > phone

Have you run 20+ miles with an iPhone on your arm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

personally when I got a Garmin I stopped bringing my phone and therefore stopped listening to music....I never would have thought it but my runs are more enjoyable without music....less clutter on the run, less distractions in the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

statss wrote: »
    personally when I got a Garmin I stopped bringing my phone and therefore stopped listening to music....I never would have thought it but my runs are more enjoyable without music....less clutter on the run, less distractions in the mind.

a definite +1 to that.

robinph wrote: »
    Not exactly lightweight though is it?

I'm not a serious athlete. Will be happy with 3.15-3.30 on the day. I don't think the aerodynamic resistance of that strap will affect me too much!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm not a serious athlete. Will be happy with 3.15-3.30 on the day. I don't think the aerodynamic resistance of that strap will affect me too much!

That is pretty serious running, and I don't think your arm will appreciate the extra weight for three + hours if it can get away without it.

robinph wrote: »
    That is pretty serious running, and I don't think your arm will appreciate the extra weight for three + hours if it can get away without it.

Good point. I guess I'll know in the next few weeks as I work towards 20 milers. Might just bite the bullet and buy a Garmin, good deals on the 310XT on amazon.

Good point. I guess I'll know in the next few weeks as I work towards 20 milers. Might just bite the bullet and buy a Garmin, good deals on the 310XT on amazon.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-310xt-noh-heart-rate-monitor-hrm.html

rom wrote: »

Just bought one for 160stg minus HRM on Amazon. Will try cancel.

Thanks for the link!

Advertisement