Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity Wall Insulation

Options
  • 06-02-2013 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all,

We had the guys from electric Ireland around last week and they quoted €240 to pump the beaded cavity wall insulation into the front wall of the house (standard 4 bed in Clonsilla). Has anybody had this done?, did you feel it made a difference?, how does the price sound? Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I would imagine just getting one wall done would not be as efficient as getting all three walls (Semi D) done.

I always notice that a room with two outside walls tend to be much colder that others. So in my opinion unless you get all the outside walls done it won't be really adding an awful lot more energy efficiency.

Also bear in mind, that it is not much good in getting the walls done if the insullation in the attic is not up to scratch.

The price sounds OK, but I would check around, there are a couple of local businesses based in Coolmine Ind Est, offering much that same services. I used one before Christmas and I'm well pleased.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi all,

We had the guys from electric Ireland around last week and they quoted €240 to pump the beaded cavity wall insulation into the front wall of the house (standard 4 bed in Clonsilla). Has anybody had this done?, did you feel it made a difference?, how does the price sound? Many thanks
    Any increase in insulation is to be welcomed and will lead to a warmer room/home. But why would you only get the front wall pumped? It sort of defeats the purpose of attempting to improve the thermal performance of your house. would you get 25% of your attic insulated and leave the other 75% for the heat to filter through?

Why Electric Ireland and are you hoping to avail of a grant?

Sorry for all the questions but I have never heard of anyone getting one wall pumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jobseeker999

muffler wrote: »
    Any increase in insulation is to be welcomed and will lead to a warmer room/home. But why would you only get the front wall pumped? It sort of defeats the purpose of attempting to improve the thermal performance of your house. would you get 25% of your attic insulated and leave the other 75% for the heat to filter through?

Why Electric Ireland and are you hoping to avail of a grant?

Sorry for all the questions but I have never heard of anyone getting one wall pumped.
    No bother. The front wall is a different construction to the side. The front is a brick finish with block behind it giving a cavity, the side and back wall are pebble dashed block giving no cavity to fill. It's a bloody shame as we are a corner house and the side wall gets very cold

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No bother. The front wall is a different construction to the side. The front is a brick finish with block behind it giving a cavity, the side and back wall are pebble dashed block giving no cavity to fill. It's a bloody shame as we are a corner house and the side wall gets very cold
    Its a good enough price but its a shame that the other walls cant be done also. Have you considered external insulation at all?

Its expensive but good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Hi all,

Am in the same boat as you jobseeker999 and looking for feedback on this too. A front wall is all I need insulating as half the house has been rebuilt and includes modern kingspan insulation. I had the insulated thermaboard fixed to the rest of the external walls in the rooms upstairs which are all cosy.

My prob is there is nice plasterwork ceiling coving in the sitting room and that would like sh1te if I put the insulated thermaboard on the external wall. So, has anybody any feedback on what the Electric Ireland lads can do. I called them today and have been told to expect a call from a contractor within 3 - 5 days.

Cheers

Advertisement