Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seeking the name of an old (1997?) racing arcade game.

• 06-02-2013 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking to see if someone can help me find the name of an old arcade game I used to play.

It was a racing game in the style of Outrun, but with much better graphics.
    The cabinet was not a sit-in one, but it did have a nice steering wheel.
    Im going to estimate that you had a choice between about 4 cars and about 7 races.
    Each race was on a normal road as opposed to a racing track.
    Sometimes it was night time on the road (not sure if it was track related or an option).
    I remember a 3rd person view (although it probably had an inside view too).
    I remember distinctly that one of the starting cars looked like it was made of gold.
    I remember being able to hit deer on the road and watch them basically explode, I think a message was shown on screen as well.
    There was a forest level/area/road and some (American?) highways.
    I played this game around 1997ish.
    I remember that the graphics were brilliant, but I don't think it was 3D. Or at least the cars were 3D rendered to 2D sprites.

If anyone showed me pictures I'm sure I'd be able to tell fairly quickly.

Hope you can help me out here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cruisin' USA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

I actually checked pictures Crusin'USA but I dismissed it as the game for some reason.
    I've actually watched some vids just now and it's definitely it!

Thanks a lot! This game was a lot of fun! Didnt remember it being 3D, I guess it was in 640*320 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Gotham wrote: »
    I actually checked pictures Crusin'USA but I dismissed it as the game for some reason.
    I've actually watched some vids just now and it's definitely it!

Thanks a lot! This game was a lot of fun! Didnt remember it being 3D, I guess it was in 640*320 at the time.

It had a sequel called Cruisin' World which was released in '96, maybe have a look at that too. Cruisin USA was '94 I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You'll find a port on the N64, a big deal was made of the hardware in the arcade cab being the forerunner of the N64 hardware but it was guff, afaik.
    The sequels appeared on the N64 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I was gonna say Carmageddon but that wasnt arcade i dont think.

Lucky & Wild
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALneW5eJ9rE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm slightly freaked that 1997 is now considered old.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

eddhorse wrote: »

It was a good idea for an arcade game, one person drives and the other one shoots, but unfortunately Lucky & Wild was pure excrement.

sengoku wrote: »

It was a good idea for an arcade game, one person drives and the other one shoots, but unfortunately Lucky & Wild was pure excrement.
    I used to love that as a kid.they had one in the tallagh leisure plex.
    Have they still got machines there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm slightly freaked that 1997 is now considered old.....

that's still 10 years ago in my mind

• Advertisement
Advertisement