Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish supporter among English fans at England v Ireland game in Wembley?

• 06-02-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Myself and the OH are thinking of heading over to London for the England v Ireland game in May and staying with his family while over there (he’s English). He got an email to say tickets are on sale, but I'm not sure how I’d get on being an Irish supporter among English fans.

Does anyone have any idea how I'd fare?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Throw on a three lions shirt and a Burberry cap, then shout "facking" every few minutes and you'll blend right in, easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

It would be easy enough to not to have any Irish gear on to save any potential agro? I don't think they'll smell the paddy off ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I won't lie...there is a chance they might rip you up and throw you onto the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Any way of getting tickets for this without having to join the England Supporters club?

Chancing it won't sell out and getting one off a tout seems to be the best bet so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just keep your mouth shut and don't jump up when we score(this might not be a problem)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hi all

Myself and the OH are thinking of heading over to London for the England v Ireland game in May and staying with his family while over there (he’s English). He got an email to say tickets are on sale, but I'm not sure how I’d get on being an Irish supporter among English fans.

Does anyone have any idea how I'd fare?!

Just wear a hat saying "I'm with John Bull" featuring an arrow pointing at your OH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

You could just be the guy Michael McIntyre describes here amongst all the home fans...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Mad idea, but if you are concerned, why not buy tickets for the away end?

Tickets are priced:
    Cat 1 = £65
    Cat 2 = £55
    Cat 3 = £45

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It wont be problem once you dont have colours or roar during game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

their wont be a problem once you just dont go looking for trouble. Just dont wear anything green or bring a flag as then security might try stop you but once in the ground it should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

will be 1000's of Irish in the home end and as long as people behave themselves, it wont be a problem. in saying that, anybody who goes in wearing jerseys and drunk off their tree, is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Mad idea, but if you are concerned, why not buy tickets for the away end

Really? That bad? Might do that so!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Mad idea, but if you are concerned, why not buy tickets for the away end?

really? its not the 80s you know, most people that go to Wembley are families now

Ghana took 21000 fans to Wembley last year and wasnt an ounce of trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

will be 1000's of Irish in the home end and as long as people behave themselves, it wont be a problem. in saying that, anybody who goes in wearing jerseys and drunk off their tree, is asking for trouble.

What happens when the The Fields of Athenry starts up there will be no stopping them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

What happens when the The Fields of Athenry starts up there will be no stopping them:D

Ah the greatest fans only start singing once we're 4-0 down, so they're safe til half-time anyway.

Really? That bad? Might do that so!
    Zatman wrote: »
    really? its not the 80s you know, most people that go to Wembley are families now

Ghana took 21000 fans to Wembley last year and wasnt an ounce of trouble

Can't tell if there is sarcasm there or not. I was simply suggesting that it might obvious when going to a Ireland game, to support Ireland, that you would sit with the rest of the fans. The atmosphere is always more enjoyable.

And in case I have been taken as impling that Wembley is going to be an enclosed hate mob, I'm not. Of course no one is going to pay you any attention if you are just there watching the game. The issue of wearing a jersey won't be an issue as you will not be allowed into a home section with away colours.

Edit: Sorry, just got it. My 'mad idea' comment was meant as 'just throwing it out there' (sarcasm). It did not imply that you going to the game in the home section was anyway foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

It will be grand. Make sure you wear something Orange to stand out and bring some pipes with you and march about on the spot and you might even get on the telly ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would getting tickets with the away fans not simply reverse the problem, as the OH would then be an England fan in with the Irish ones? :confused:

Or should they sit at seperate ends of the stadium :P

It will be grand. Make sure you wear something Orange to stand out and bring some pipes with you and march about on the spot and you might even get on the telly ;)

or how about this snazzy ensemble?

No+to+Foreign+Games+RSF+style.jpg

The green for Ireland and the white to show solidarity with our English brethren.

• Advertisement

Would getting tickets with the away fans not simply reverse the problem, as the OH would then be an England fan in with the Irish ones? :confused:

Or should they sit at seperate ends of the stadium :P

You see, in my naivety I thought I'd rather be an away supporter in the home end as I'm a woman and they might go easier on me :confused: I can handle a bit of slagging (abuse!), but not if it might turn nasty and sinister.

You see, in my naivety I thought I'd rather be an away supporter in the home end as I'm a woman and they might go easier on me :confused: I can handle a bit of slagging (abuse!), but not if it might turn nasty and sinister.

I doubt anyone will say anything to you at all, nevermind having a bit of a slagging match. You might be lucky enough to have someone sat beside ye that will have a chat, but as a whole it will just be you and your OH.

I'm currently learning to play The Great Escape and Rule Britannia on the tuba.

I'm currently learning to play The Great Escape and Rule Britannia on the tuba.

Bring a drum and sing 'Vindaloo' instead.

Bring a drum and sing 'Vindaloo' instead.

Yeah, be much easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You'll be fine. Just don't wear any colours and you'll be grand.

If it was the other way round, and it was an English fan coming over here I'd tell him not to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

You'll be fine OP. Unless you have to sit anywhere near that fcuking band that is.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

cson wrote: »
    Any way of getting tickets for this without having to join the England Supporters club?

Chancing it won't sell out and getting one off a tout seems to be the best bet so far.

You can buy tickets in the Irish section on the English FA's site

I picked up 3 this morning easy enough. Good seats too - halfway line, lower tier 5 rows from the pitch.

I was amazed they put the away fans in such a good section tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

You can buy tickets in the Irish section on the English FA's site

I picked up 3 this morning easy enough. Good seats too - halfway line, lower tier 5 rows from the pitch.

I was amazed they put the away fans in such a good section tbh

You do remember what happened in 1995,do ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

SantryRed wrote: »
    If it was the other way round, and it was an English fan coming over here I'd tell him not to!

English could just mix in, Liverpool/Man Utd/etc... training jackets are common sights at Ireland matches! Just as long as it's not the three lions! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Throw on a three lions shirt and a Burberry cap, then shout "facking" every few minutes and you'll blend right in, easy.

'Facking' ? Why do Irish people think the whole of Albion from Berwick to Penzance talk like the cast of Eastenders ? 80%+ plus of English people are not from the 'sahrf east' yet that seems to be the first stereotype Irish people go for when mimicking an English accent.

Do Steven Gerrard or Leighton Baines sound like Arthur Mullard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dd972 wrote: »
    'Facking' ? Why do Irish people think the whole of Albion from Berwick to Penzance talk like the cast of Eastenders ? 80%+ plus of English people are not from the 'sahrf east' yet that seems to be the first stereotype Irish people go for when mimicking an English accent.

Eh are you mental, the scouse accent is easily as commonly imitated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

CSF wrote: »
    Eh are you mental, the scouse accent is easily as commonly imitated.

Practically every time an Irish person mimicks an English accent it's either an Oxbridge parody or some Pearly Twat from Dagenham, a lot of Irish people think Lahndan is the be and and end all of England, especially if they've lived there or have folks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

In fairness the match is on in the "sahrf east"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The game is in London so I went with that, makes sense if you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Despite what some Irish people would have you believe English people don't hate us. In fact we don't provoke much of a reaction at all to them OP you will be fine.

On the other hand; if you were an English fan sitting amongst Irish fans, you may feel uncomfortable.

Practically every time an Irish person mimicks an English accent it's either an Oxbridge parody or some Pearly Twat from Dagenham, a lot of Irish people think Lahndan is the be and and end all of England, especially if they've lived there or have folks there.

.... or have been anywhere else in England.

But you should hear my Newcastle or Birmingham accent. It's a laugh riot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Wear a EPL jersey to be safe (if you support one )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So let me get this straight your paying good money to go see your country play and your not allow wear your national colors or cheer if we score? Jesus why bother going have more fun in the pub....... I nearly always got the impression from a lot of English people I've met and talked to over the years they actually quite like the Irish and like having a laugh with us because we normally know how to enjoy ourselves. I wouldn't fear being a paddy in middle of London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

well you can just buy tickets for the away section here

http://ticketing.thefa.com/

its quite easy really

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

International football is usually full of happy clappers with their faces painted. If you're unlucky you'll be sat near some mouthy chavs but chances are there won't be trouble.

I presume this match was organised under the usual "arra isn't it grand how we've all moved on" bravado so there'll probably be loads of security to make sure nothing kicks off, so the FAs and politicians can congratulate each other after. Just like a recent visit from a certain lady :)

Personally I think sitting with opposing fans defeats the purpose of going to a match. Go to the rugby if you want that (lack of) craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

What time is K/O in this game?

Its on Wednesday but in fear of any trouble I presume they'll have it on early enough.

So is the K/O 5pm or is it the regular 7:45/8pm K/O time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

International football is usually full of happy clappers with their faces painted. If you're unlucky you'll be sat near some mouthy chavs but chances are there won't be trouble.

I presume this match was organised under the usual "arra isn't it grand how we've all moved on" bravado so there'll probably be loads of security to make sure nothing kicks off, so the FAs and politicians can congratulate each other after. Just like a recent visit from a certain lady :)

Personally I think sitting with opposing fans defeats the purpose of going to a match. Go to the rugby if you want that (lack of) craic.

Are you seriously suggesting that there's less craic at rugby games?

:rolleyes:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    What time is K/O in this game?

Its on Wednesday but in fear of any trouble I presume they'll have it on early enough.

So is the K/O 5pm or is it the regular 7:45/8pm K/O time?

8pm K/O if I remember correctly. Defo not an early K/O.

8pm K/O if I remember correctly. Defo not an early K/O.

I just checked here : http://ticketing.thefa.com/

It says K/O is 12am, on a Wednesday?

Surely thats wrong? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I can't see the game going off at midnight :pac:

I'd expect the site to update to the expected 8pm time soon enough

Must be a glitch. Said 8pm K/O yesterday with gates opening at 6.30pm. Same as all the rst of the midweek friendlies.

Thought as much, when I first seen it I thought why have a game at midday on a Wednesday, then looked closer and seen it was for Midnight.

Isnt the UCL Final on the Saturday before this friendly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hope to go to this. I was there in 95 and 91 and its been too long since we played them.

I was only 8 in 1991 game but what a atmosphere that was. Lansdowne used to rock those days. Seriously rock.

and as for going to game for the craic? I dont go to games for the craic. I go to watch my team and support them. If I wanted craic I go to comedy club in which case I go about 10 times a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

bit of a dilemma for the op alright, personally i woud rather not got to the game than sit with the english fans. given her situation , with no guarantees of course she should be ok barring she doesnt' wear any green etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement