Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish supporter among English fans at England v Ireland game in Wembley?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thought as much, when I first seen it I thought why have a game at midday on a Wednesday, then looked closer and seen it was for Midnight.

Isnt the UCL Final on the Saturday before this friendly?

Yes the final is on the 25th which is the Saturday before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've been to loads of England games at Wembley. Most people there will be families or decent football fans just there to support their national team.

Amongst 90,000 going though there will be a few there who will be on the look-out for trouble and/or been drinking all day. But so long as you're not obviously looking to trouble or jumping up and down like crazy when you score I really don't think you'll have too much bother.

Obviously you shouldn't have to worry at all and shouldn't have to not wear your colours proudly but the reality is that this is football, it's a tribal sport and some people still consider it to be an excuse to act like a wanker.

Overall though I'm more concerned about likely being an Englishman in the Irish end for the return fixture than the OP should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

Iam heading over aswell should be fun. first away ireland match ever. looking forward to it been to the old wembley and new wembley to see villa play

Not big Fan of new Wembley.

That's even before I start on how bloody awkward it is to get there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

That's even before I start on how bloody awkward it is to get there.

If you conceder a tube station right beside it awkward then yes it is,but I dont.

Dub13 wrote: »
    If you conceder a tube station right beside it awkward then yes it is,but I dont.

There is tube station to nearly every part of London.

That does not mean its freaking easy.

**** off with your smart ****.

There is tube station to nearly every part of London.

That does not mean its freaking easy.

**** off with your smart ****.

Whats easy so...?would you like someone to collect you from the airport and give you a jocky back to the ground..?

Dub13 wrote: »
    Whats easy so...?would you like someone to collect you from the airport and give you a jocky back to the ground..?

Well maybe not hanging around 2 hours after game would help.

It might be cosy for you but I know Lads who hate it.

Stayed in Stratford on same side as Wembley and still took ages.

It's just a rant. Not sure why your being total dick over a post about. Maybe you feel higher power or something.

There is no way to disperse 90,000 people fast bar moving the ground to the center of London like Cardiff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Wembley is incredibly easy to get into and out of. Its actually incredible how they get 50,000 people through Wembley Park tube station in no time. From there it's 20 minutes into Central London.

For the JPT Final a couple of weeks ago I was at Wembley barely two hours after leaving Dublin,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Wear your green jersey with pride not matter where you have to stand.........sure arent we the fightin Irish we aint scared of no one boiiiiii.

S28382 wrote: »
    Wear your green jersey with pride not matter where you have to stand.........sure arent we the fightin Irish we aint scared of no one boiiiiii.

I'm just looking forward to playing England again. Should be a cracker.

Hopefully good few are going.

9 of us going over.

Show them you have fond memories of Ireland v England games by ripping up their seats and fu*king them at people. But yeah its good to play them it would be even better if we beat them.

Show them you have fond memories of Ireland v England games by ripping up their seats and fu*king them at people. But yeah its good to play them it would be even better if we beat them.

Beating them is stretching it. Then again it's friendly and we have good record against stronger nations in friendlies.

Beating them is stretching it. Then again it's friendly and we have good record against stronger nations in friendlies.

We know if we beat them that they will use every excuse under the sun but regardless of what its for a win would be nice its a long shot but hey we can dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'd rather not lower myself to their standards but a good day out will be had nonetheless. The weather has started picking up significantly over here the last few days, 20+ degrees yesterday, hopefully this continues so a balmy night of mediocre soccer can be enjoyed :D

From talking to the lads over here, there should be a decent crowd going although some are avoiding it because they expect trouble

theteal wrote: »
    I'd rather not lower myself to their standards but a good day out will be had nonetheless. The weather has started picking up significantly over here the last few days, 20+ degrees yesterday, hopefully this continues so a balmy night of mediocre soccer can be enjoyed :D

From talking to the lads over here, there should be a decent crowd going although some are avoiding it because they expect trouble

I dont think there will be trouble they dont feel threatened by the possibility of us beating them as was the case before so they dont have a reason to be mad at us wee Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

dd972 wrote: »
    'Facking' ? Why do Irish people think the whole of Albion from Berwick to Penzance talk like the cast of Eastenders ? 80%+ plus of English people are not from the 'sahrf east' yet that seems to be the first stereotype Irish people go for when mimicking an English accent.

Do Steven Gerrard or Leighton Baines sound like Arthur Mullard?

That's true but talk to anyone in the north of England and you'll see a strange disconnect with the English national team (especially Scousers), I did notice over at the euros (we were staying in Krakow where the England team was based so there were a good few English fans about) that the Northern accents were conspicuous by their absence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

deccurley wrote: »
    That's true but talk to anyone in the north of England and you'll see a strange disconnect with the English national team (especially Scousers), I did notice over at the euros (we were staying in Krakow where the England team was based so there were a good few English fans about) that the Northern accents were conspicuous by their absence.

Don't forget the Mancs... Was at the Chelsea v Man Utd game in Stamford Bridge in May 2006 when Rooney was streteched off after he'd fractured his metatarsal... the Man Utd fans started singing "there goes your World Cup" to the Chelsea fans.

OP here, I'm actually not going to the game now - couldn't get the time off work :mad:

Advertisement