Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh modem

• 06-02-2013 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have recently improved my home network by buying a dual band router for greater range and bandwidth. While my home networking has improved the reliability of Eircom broadband had diminished noticeably.

I consulted the Eircom tech support and they suggested our modem was older than 5 years and it should be replaced, he couldn't justify this. Can anyone explain why I needed to replace the modem? It was still working but not as effective as the new one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

What's the router you bought and how have you got it connected (cable from Eircom DSL to this router or is it a DSL router?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭JaManSnowFlake

The replacement router is an Zyxel Eircom router, the previous one was a Netopia router. Tech support suggested that the modems get old and unreliable but I have never heard of it before, is this the case?

The replacement router is an Zyxel Eircom router, the previous one was a Netopia router. Tech support suggested that the modems get old and unreliable but I have never heard of it before, is this the case?
    The Netopias, athough cheap - don't just get unreliable, rather worn out after a few years use and imcompatible with modern standards (such as ADSL2+, wireless N etc.). So you only have the Zyxel connected in the house now, to the main phone point? Can you tell me the current line statistics please by logging into the router?

http://192.168.1.254
    Password: broadband1
    Speed, under the heading of connection (will read like 8128 kbps /800 kbps)

Yes I have a cable from the modem to the wireless router.

Yes I have a cable from the modem to the wireless router.
    You mean from the Netopia to the Zyxel or is there another piece of equipment here too? Please be specific, thanks.

• Advertisement

We are receiving 8128 kbps / 512 kbps.

The Zyxel modem is connected to a Netgear WNDR4500 wireless router.

We are receiving 8128 kbps / 512 kbps.

The Zyxel modem is connected to a Netgear WNDR4500 wireless router.
    Ok that explains a lot, your getting the full 8MB so speed isn't an issue - it's interference. You need to disable the Wi-Fi on the Zyxel as it will seriously clash with the signal from the Netgear (which has a more powerful broadcast). Log back into the Zyxel and do the following (I suggest being connect via the LAN cable when doing this).

Network > Wireless LAN > Untick "Active Wireless LAN" > Apply > Powercycle both the Zyxel for 30 seconds, then the Netgear.

Also, move any cordless phone basestations as far away from the Netgear as possible as they operate on the same 2.4 Ghz frequency. Wirelses N wont be affected since that operates at 5Ghz.

PS: I'm saying this assuming the Netgear is configured for Wi-Fi already.

Advertisement