Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G on irish rail wifi

• 06-02-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Was using the irish rail wifi the other night and I got these results :
    The lowest ping I got was 9ms and the average upload was 20mb. I was just wondering is it 4G?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Dazza wrote: »
    The lowest ping I got was 9ms and the average upload was 20mb. I was just wondering is it 4G?

703Kbps is less than a 1Mb line

Also, 4G is not even licenced in Ireland yet so, no, it's not 4G.

3G most likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

703Kbps is less than a 1meg line

3G most likely
    Something iffy with the result, you certainly don't get 17Mbps upload on 3G either. OP, did you only do one test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Correct screenshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

advertsfox wrote: »
    Something iffy with the result, you certainly don't get 17Mbps upload on 3G either. OP, did you only do one test?

Oh! I only noticed now, its actually 17,652kbps which is strange!

It's very odd, an anomaly with the speed test maybe?

I did 2.hace them both uploaded. I did others with different servers and got consistent results. I just didn't think 9ms is possible on 3g. The train I tested this on only got the wifi in the last month or so I think.

• Advertisement

Correct screenshot.
    There is no way that's any kind of standard 3G network, the ping is so low it could be a fibre connection (I'm getting 11ms to Google on an 8MB DSL line). Did you test it with another source (i.e not Cork)?

Oh! I only notice now, its actually 17,652kbps which is strange!

It's very odd, an anomaly with the speed test maybe?
    No you're wrong I think. It was 17000kbps which equals 17mb?

Has to be inconsistencies with the Cork server you were testing with, esp. if you said it was normal with other servers.

PS: Wouldn't complain with those speeds on Irish Rail for real though :)

There is no way that's any kind of standard 3G network, the ping is so low it could be a fibre connection (I'm getting 11ms to Google on an 8MB DSL line). Did you test it with another source (i.e not Cork)?
    I tested UK and got pings around 16. I tested dundalk and got a lower ping (6ms I think).

I tested UK and got pings around 16. I tested dundalk and got a lower ping (6ms I think).
    Definitely something wrong there, the overhead alone (from phone > router > mast > host > 3G mast > router > phone) would be at best, about 40-50ms.

• Advertisement

Definitely something wrong there, the overhead alone (from phone > router > mast > host > 3G mast > router > phone) would be at best, about 40-50ms.
    I dunno it seemed fairly consistent. I'll post a screen shot of all the results when im home. I'll be getting the train Friday night again us there a more concrete was of testing the speed?

I dunno it seemed fairly consistent. I'll post a screen shot of all the results when im home. I'll be getting the train Friday night again us there a more concrete was of testing the speed?
    Please do, would love to see more results. I suggest you try alternative speed test applications or websites like http://www.mobilespeedtest.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

703Kbps is less than a 1Mb line

3G most likely

4G auctions happened last year, and the results were announced in November.

We can expect r/o by Q3 this yr

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/article.php?id=675504

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Could be, there is an ongoing rollout of 4G since the new year. We'll here officially about it in March or April.

4G provides amazing upload speeds 3G technology is unable to provide great uploads speeds. You probably were near a recently upgraded mast.

Here is all the tests I did. They were fairly consistent on the different servers so I assume its not a cork server issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Can confirm ridiculous ping and up speed

http://db.tt/oNKHWVL1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Maybe you were driving towards the mast a high speed!!!!! Lol

If you're going again on Friday are you able to try upload something to say, dropbox and then give actual results like 30mb file 10seconds etc???? I have found speedtest sites to be a little crazy sometimes but you can't dispute an actual download/upload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

It does not need to be either 3 or 4G at all... The train could be using a Wifi or other wireless back haul between stations or other areas. That is probably connected to a fiber connection, so thats how you are managing to get those speeds down.... a 3G connection shared between multiple people in the train wont stand up to that kind of abuse... did it mention who the ISP was? Can you run traceroute on the connection to see where you are getting out to the internet from?

lotas wrote: »
    It does not need to be either 3 or 4G at all... The train could be using a Wifi or other wireless back haul between stations or other areas. That is probably connected to a fiber connection, so thats how you are managing to get those speeds down.... a 3G connection shared between multiple people in the train wont stand up to that kind of abuse... did it mention who the ISP was? Can you run traceroute on the connection to see where you are getting out to the internet from?

Highly unlikely a fiber connection. Wifi is connected to a cell (mast) obviously using a 3g phone to run the speeds tests and it was done in cork city right?

Its likely you were picking up 4G Signal.

To pick up 17 meg upload it woulds have to be a 4G frequency, the download speed likely crap because you're phone is not 4G able.

tumblr_m3ry3pbGqi1qas2jho5_250.gif

Ok, lets start shall we?

-> Highly unlikely a fiber connection. <- Why? Fiber is everywhere, and Irish Rail more than likley have some... The train wont be connected directly to the fiber (unless they have LOTS of fiber) but the masts they connect to (and even if it is 3g or 4g) those masts are still fiber...

-> Wifi is connected to a cell (mast) obviously using a 3g phone to run the speeds tests and it was done in cork city right? <- Nope! Thread title mentions Irish Rail WIFI

-> Its likely you were picking up 4G Signal. <- nope... unless he is on a 4G network, he is not on a 4G network... Voda/o2/three wont let any tom dick and harry on their test 4G network without being tested by ComReg, and they sure as hell wont do it for free!

-> To pick up 17 meg upload it woulds have to be a 4G frequency, the download speed likely crap because you're phone is not 4G able. <- back to the animated gif... if you can upload at 4G speeds, you can download at 4G Speeds... If you phone is on a 4G network, you are on a 4G network. If you are on Wifi, you are not on 4G network. 17meg upload is theoretically possible on HSUPA CAT9. HSUPA Details on wiki pedia

A more helpful response, there could be a 4G Trial that Irish Rail is on, but you will still connect to their Wifi network, so any device could get that connection. And that does not explain the low ping results. I though of Channel Bonding multiple 3G connections, but again, latency may be killer here. Some sort of Wireless network (not necessarily Wifi) connecting to the train, and then the train giving out a wifi network has my bet...

• Advertisement

tumblr_m3ry3pbGqi1qas2jho5_250.gif

Ok, lets start shall we?

-> Highly unlikely a fiber connection. <- Why? Fiber is everywhere, and Irish Rail more than likley have some... The train wont be connected directly to the fiber (unless they have LOTS of fiber) but the masts they connect to (and even if it is 3g or 4g) those masts are still fiber...

-> Wifi is connected to a cell (mast) obviously using a 3g phone to run the speeds tests and it was done in cork city right? <- Nope! Thread title mentions Irish Rail WIFI

-> Its likely you were picking up 4G Signal. <- nope... unless he is on a 4G network, he is not on a 4G network... Voda/o2/three wont let any tom dick and harry on their test 4G network without being tested by ComReg, and they sure as hell wont do it for free!

-> To pick up 17 meg upload it woulds have to be a 4G frequency, the download speed likely crap because you're phone is not 4G able. <- back to the animated gif... if you can upload at 4G speeds, you can download at 4G Speeds... If you phone is on a 4G network, you are on a 4G network. If you are on Wifi, you are not on 4G network. 17meg upload is theoretically possible on HSUPA CAT9. HSUPA Details on wiki pedia

A more helpful response, there could be a 4G Trial that Irish Rail is on, but you will still connect to their Wifi network, so any device could get that connection. And that does not explain the low ping results. I though of Channel Bonding multiple 3G connections, but again, latency may be killer here. Some sort of Wireless network (not necessarily Wifi) connecting to the train, and then the train giving out a wifi network has my bet...

Most of this is meaningless, because if he was using Wifi at Cork rail, he likely one have got much lower upload speed. Fibre tends to be fixed not on the move.

The highest upload customers can avail of currently is with UPC there upload is only 6

I know Eircom had a pilot ip in Dublin with better uploads than that, but thats Dublin

The only explanation is it was 4G network. But i guess a phone call to Irish rail would quickly solve it!!1

Most of this is meaningless, because if he was using Wifi at Cork rail, he likely one have got much lower upload speed. Fibre tends to be fixed not on the move.

:confused: my wifi connection at home allows a fast upload speed... so, no. if your on wifi, you can usually get a fast upload, IF THE UPSTREAM CONNECTION ALLOWS. and in this case, the upstream if probably fiber... yea, fiber to the train may be hard, but fiber to the station or along the line is not...
    The highest upload customers can avail of currently is with UPC there upload is only 6

:confused: Im on UPC... i got 10Mb/s connection. The office has 12.5Mb/s upload, and can max out at 100Mb/s, and we are not on Fiber. Magnet Fiber is 10Mb/s and that for residents...
    I know Eircom had a pilot ip in Dublin with better uploads than that, but thats Dublin
    yea, Eircom have a hard time getting that speed down, never mind up...
    The only explanation is it was 4G network.
    :eek: WOW! the ONLY explanation?!? Did you forget to read anything i have just wrote? Lets think this out, shall we? I was sitting in my car in the IFSC a couple months back and managed to get a 85Mb/s down, 55Mb/s Up connection... Its NOT because my car has a very fast connection, i was connected to a FAST WIFI HOT SPOT (in this case, the EduRoam connection in the HENET office in the IFSC). I do not instantly think that "Jaysus, 4G Connection!". If i was on the Luas, i don't think "they have 4G". I look at all the facts and work it out.
    But i guess a phone call to Irish rail would quickly solve it!!1
    :eek: that may be the first logical thing you may have said...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mikethemouth13

It uses multiple mobile networks

:confused: my wifi connection at home allows a fast upload speed... so, no. if your on wifi, you can usually get a fast upload, IF THE UPSTREAM CONNECTION ALLOWS. and in this case, the upstream if probably fiber... yea, fiber to the train may be hard, but fiber to the station or along the line is not...

:confused: Im on UPC... i got 10Mb/s connection. The office has 12.5Mb/s upload, and can max out at 100Mb/s, and we are not on Fiber. Magnet Fiber is 10Mb/s and that for residents...

yea, Eircom have a hard time getting that speed down, never mind up...

:eek: WOW! the ONLY explanation?!? Did you forget to read anything i have just wrote? Lets think this out, shall we? I was sitting in my car in the IFSC a couple months back and managed to get a 85Mb/s down, 55Mb/s Up connection... Its NOT because my car has a very fast connection, i was connected to a FAST WIFI HOT SPOT (in this case, the EduRoam connection in the HENET office in the IFSC). I do not instantly think that "Jaysus, 4G Connection!". If i was on the Luas, i don't think "they have 4G". I look at all the facts and work it out.

:eek: that may be the first logical thing you may have said...

The thread was started by someone getting 17upload, with a internet speed test. So even you're only getting 10 upload with UPC that pretty much rules out UPC, with this.

I haven't ruled out fiber either, but with the slow download i have hard time believing he was connecting to a fibre network?

Here is speed test found on this thread https://www.dropbox.com/s/fotvav1xcb8rgvf/Screenshots_2013-02-07-07-12-10.png

Not sure were he did this test, but it clearly shows it was hosted by Eircom.

Eircom owns meteor who likely be rolling out a 4G network in the Irish big city areas.

I take your word you got those very high speeds, but how can i confirm it? in bit of a rush sorry can't reply in a more sufficient manner.

@mikethemouth13: it wont be satelite... too high a latency...

@Cheerful Spring: the server which is running the speed test is hosted by Eircom. and the part about the download, you do know how network connections work, right? You have a limited amount of connection to multiple people. say, a train, full of people... 10% could be using the internet. 90% of their connections are downloads, the other 10% is upload. If you have a limited connection (say 20Mb/s, since 17 is close enough), and 20 people downloading, your download speed decreeses... depending on how the network is setup, some can limit each connection to a given amount (say 1mb/s) others let you share (one could get the full 20mb, and everyone else suffers). if your upload is the same speed (20Mb/s) and very few are using it, your upload may max out if you run a speed test.

I have 2 cable modems in the house, a 150 and a 100. both have 10mb/s upload. (side note, i never mentioned UPC for their provider, but UPC do provide fiber). Anyway, if machines on the 150mb connection are downloading more than uploading, my speed test shows my upload could be potentially faster than my download... same with the other way round... This sounds like the case here.

The original question was: Could this be 4G. The answer, still, is VERY LIKELY NOT! Still too much latency, still not available, etc.

And speaking of Latency, check the speed test demo at the bottom of the Silicon Republic Article on the 4G Auction, and the upload is no where near 17mb/s

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Could it be caching that is responsible for the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mikethemouth13

You could be onto something here mate interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

FleetConnect’s service uses Icomera equipment, which takes a feed from three of the four mobile networks, O2, Three and Vodafone.

Guess were finally seeing what 4G is capable of. Good by DSL, it's been emotional.

33907830.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

FleetConnect’s service uses Icomera equipment, which takes a feed from three of the four mobile networks, O2, Three and Vodafone.

Guess were finally seeing what 4G is capable of. Good by DSL, it's been emotional.

33907830.jpg

It'd cost a lot (4 times a standard subscription) and the cap will still be crap.

Advertisement