Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G on irish rail wifi

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It'd cost a lot (4 times a standard subscription) and the cap will still be crap.

Mmm, i'm not so sure, We've got 3 incumbents, and one little upstart hell bent on becoming one, let's hope they follow the UK's lead http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/three-wont-charge-extra-for-4g-unlike-ee-50010336/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Just uploaded a 152 MB video file to Dropbox in seconds.

As a "3G as main broadband" user I'm just about stopping myself from fainting with excitement.

Holy Jebus holy Jebus holy Jebus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Hmmmm... sounds plausable, but unless there is some channel bonding magic going on, i dont think we have the correct solution... without channel bonding, each connection with hit the maximum speed of a single connection. with it, there is magic done before sending over the wire and then on the server end also... packets are either split before they go over the wire or are round robbined between connections... same with on the way back, but there needs to be either hardware or software on both ends... There is software called Connectify Dispatch which does some of these, but without the server, some of the uploads and downloads will still hit limits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

250872.png

Was wondering about this earlier today, just did some tests there. Pings are to manchester...Id say the down results are heavily QoSd and that's why theyrr always so low, a very inflexible load balancer.

What prompted me to think about it was that I saw some strange antenna at a few of the stations. Along with the usual cell units and microwave drums were these pairs of long horizontal antenna, each looking sort of elongated thimble. A dark grey metallic colour. Could these be responsible, they were all parallel to the tracks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

long_b wrote: »
    Just uploaded a 152 MB video file to Dropbox in seconds.

As a "3G as main broadband" user I'm just about stopping myself from fainting with excitement.

Holy Jebus holy Jebus holy Jebus

I've been using it the last few weeks (Galway to Dublin route) to a bit of work on my commute and it's useless for logging onto the office network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

funnyname wrote: »
    I've been using it the last few weeks (Galway to Dublin route) to a bit of work on my commute and it's useless for logging onto the office network.

VPN? It'd be far too unstable for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

funnyname wrote: »

I've started commuting on the same route and the connection has been useless in general, in the past two weeks I barely been able to load a webpage. I ran a continuous ping and perhaps 2 out of every 10 got through. It'd be handy to have on the commute but not vital for me although I wouldn't use it unless I could connect via VPN.

Advertisement