Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Txt to Speech Programmes

Options
  • 06-02-2013 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a txt to speech programme?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Cool Reader 2... free and easy to use.

It doesn't have to be installed, unzip to a folder of your choice, run CR2.EXE and load your document (txt, rtf, html, doc, fb2). For TTS just press ENTER (press ENTER again to turn it off).

Note: CoolReader (on the same page) has gone open source, but the new version 3 does not support TTS, so for this you'll need CoolReader 2.

Although it says "For Win32 only. Supported platforms: Win9x/ME/NT4.0/Win2K/XP", it works just fine with Windows 7 (x64) and Microsoft Anna.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Ive used Dragon for pc and its fine.

I see now there is also a free app for iphone for same, however, you may need to tweak your itunes settings as its not currently available in Irish store
    https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/dragon-dictation/id341446764?mt=8

kaisersoze wrote: »
    Ive used Dragon for pc and its fine.

Hmm... DNS is a (commercial) dictation/transcription software, doing quite the opposite, speech to text, no? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

True torquay, sorry :-)

Brain working in reverse today! my bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

thanks. these are going to save a me a load of time!

what do you guys use them for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 sumeas

Adobe acrobat has "read out loud" function

sumeas wrote: »
    Adobe acrobat has "read out loud" function

does that read pdf files also?

thanks. these are going to save a me a load of time!

what do you guys use them for?

I'm using Cool Reader 3 to read ebooks on the computer. I don't need TTS, so version 3 suits me fine. I still have version 2 around, which is better in many regards but it doesn't support EPUB.
    does that read pdf files also?

I'm pretty sure PDF is the only format that Adobe Reader can read aloud... and it's rather poor at that, NextUp's TextAloud does a much better job, the reference in TTS if you will, but it ain't free.

Torqay wrote: »
    I'm using Cool Reader 3 to read ebooks on the computer. I don't need TTS, so version 3 suits me fine. I still have version 2 around, which is better in many regards but it doesn't support EPUB.

I'm pretty sure PDF is the only format that Adobe Reader can read aloud... and it's rather poor at that, NextUp's TextAloud does a much better job, the reference in TTS if you will, but it ain't free.

if I download cool reader 3, is there any danger that I might download viruses?

lol I found a programme on my laptop. I didn't realise I had it!

• Advertisement

if I download cool reader 3, is there any danger that I might download viruses?

Nah...

But as I said, for TTS, you'll need the older version 2.

Nah...

But as I said, for TTS, you'll need the older version 2.

that's a good idea using it for ebooks, how long does it take to read an ebook? it must be like listening to a documentary or something similar?

how long does it take to read an ebook?

How long is a piece of string? ;)

How long is a piece of string? ;)

on average? hours days weeks?

I really don't know, I have never tried. Serious, if I want to listen to an audio book I much prefer a real person reading it rather than Microsoft Sam or Anna. ;)

I really don't know, I have never tried. Serious, if I want to listen to an audio book I much prefer a real person reading it rather than Microsoft Sam or Anna. ;)

I'd be interested to see any studies done which illustrate how people comprehend documents read out loud in this format with documents read in silence.
    I just discovered adobe reader also has this funtion for pdf documents.

Well, I've never taken to audio books at all, I still prefer reading myself. I do read books almost exclusively "on computers", mind you, a 42" telly makes for a great ebook reader! :D I also have a little Kobo Glo for "the road".

TTS might be a great help for the visually impaired but I don't really like listening to a computer-generated voice.

Advertisement