Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workbench advice

• 06-02-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi - Can anyone recommend a good workbench for DIY at home? I'm looking for a good durable one as a gift. I need my kitchen(table) back!!! :)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi tmk27
    Would you have a go at making one yourself?. Work benches are hard to find and expensive enough. Are you handy ? I made this one myself very simple but I can add to it as I want. Attached see plans, materials needed, took me one hour and cost me €65. Have a go you will enjoy it.
    NW

I see you want to give it as a gift

Iedepot.ie used to sell a good wood work one for about 170 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tmk27

Thanks NorthWest. It's to be a gift for my fiance, but he did also mention, a few times, building his own. So thanks a mill for the plans.
    Thanks too DaCor - I'll have a look at that website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

I would recommend NorthWest's bench, I use a similar size bench that I made out of 2 x 4 and some 18mm melamine that I had sitting around. For me it was perfect size for bench top tools. I put strips of timber on the back of the melamine to hold it in place and then I leave the frame outside.... It means If I want to use a mitre saw, router table, table saw etc... I dont have to dig out their stands, I just put on the top and its ready to use.

Im sure if you go into a timber suppliers with measurements of timber they will cut it slightly bigger for you so you can load it all in the car, give him the plans and give him a project to make. Half the fun is building stuff yourself :)

Advertisement