Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adebayor

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He's got to be the most infuriating player we've ever had. Bags of talent, and when he wants to put the effort in, is a massive addition to the team. Could easily have become a fan favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

It's almost like he's just making an effort in order to spite AVB

His interview after the Southampton game was priceless, dunno how he kept a straight face when talking about what a dedicated pro he is.

Who knows how long this form will last, he was majestic last night though, like a new signing, albeit probably a temporary one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Ormus wrote: »
    It's almost like he's just making an effort in order to spite AVB

His interview after the Southampton game was priceless, dunno how he kept a straight face when talking about what a dedicated pro he is.

Who knows how long this form will last, he was majestic last night though, like a new signing, albeit probably a temporary one.

Yeah talking about his dead older brother, being removed from the squad photo, made train with the reserves and then on his own. Hilarious stuff alright.

He's match fit and hasn't being playing so I guess he's done everything within his powers. Did AVB cut off his nose despite his own face?

Danny Rose: It is nice that Soldado has got a bit of help up there with Adebayor. He didn’t play a game since pre-season until a few weeks ago but his energy levels have been brilliant. He has been like a new signing. He has scored three or four goals in his last four games and it is brilliant for us.

The first season under Harry Redknapp there were no questions about his attitude, said Rose. Last season, I can’t speak for that because I wasn’t here so I don’t know what happened.

When I came back in pre-season, his attitude was fine. Obviously there was a bit of a disagreement between him and Andre but it is finished now. We are all grateful that he is back in the team. He hasn’t got a point to prove but he is playing as if he has and he looks fresh and is causing teams a lot of trouble.

Yeah talking about his dead older brother, being removed from the squad photo, made train with the reserves and then on his own. Hilarious stuff alright.

He's match fit and hasn't being playing so I guess he's done everything within his powers. Did AVB cut off his nose despite his own face?

Danny Rose: It is nice that Soldado has got a bit of help up there with Adebayor. He didn’t play a game since pre-season until a few weeks ago but his energy levels have been brilliant. He has been like a new signing. He has scored three or four goals in his last four games and it is brilliant for us.

The first season under Harry Redknapp there were no questions about his attitude, said Rose. Last season, I can’t speak for that because I wasn’t here so I don’t know what happened.

When I came back in pre-season, his attitude was fine. Obviously there was a bit of a disagreement between him and Andre but it is finished now. We are all grateful that he is back in the team. He hasn’t got a point to prove but he is playing as if he has and he looks fresh and is causing teams a lot of trouble.

So why were his energy levels so much lower under AVB? He got plenty of gametime last year and was clearly unfit or not trying. He only made one or two appearances this season and barely broke into a canter.

It would seem that AVB identified the guys who weren't dedicated enough pros (BAE, Bentley and Ade) and decided he didn't want them influencing the rest of the squad.

The saying is "cut off your nose to spite your own face", not despite, but how does that apply here?

You truly believe that Adebayor was always the consummate professional, but AVB just didn't want this very talented footballer to play?

Also where did I say anything about his dead older brother being hilarious? You made that bit up and that's pretty low.

The saying is "cut off your nose to spite your own face", not despite, but how does that apply here?

You truly believe that Adebayor was always the consummate professional, but AVB just didn't want this very talented footballer to play?

If you can't get rid of a problem you need to find a solution. It applies because AVB banished one of our highest paid players when we were struggling for a player to hold up the ball and score goals. I was always a big supporter of AVB and I hoped he had learned from his Chelsea days (he did the same to Anelka and Alex) but his naive man management cost him again. A good manager should be able to discipline a player but integrate them back into the squad.
    Also where did I say anything about his dead older brother being hilarious? You made that bit up and that's pretty low.

"His interview after the Southampton game was priceless"

I posted after that interview that it was very emotive and I felt for the guy. Didn't find it funny in the least.

• Advertisement

If you can't get rid of a problem you need to find a solution. It applies because AVB banished one of our highest paid players when we were struggling for a player to hold up the ball and score goals. I was always a big supporter of AVB and I hoped he had learned from his Chelsea days (he did the same to Anelka and Alex) but his naive man management cost him again. A good manager should be able to discipline a player but integrate them back into the squad.

"His interview after the Southampton game was priceless"

I posted after that interview that it was very emotive and I felt for the guy. Didn't find it funny in the least.

Alex Ferguson wasn't able to handle Roy Keane at the end, does that mean he was a bad manager?

Adebayor was similarly ostracised by Man City. You should be able to see the pattern here, it ain't that complicated.

You've edited my quote to leave out where I said that the part of the interview I found funny was him talking about what a dedicated pro he is. I never said or even implied that anything about his dead brother was hilarious. And what's more, you know I didn't. That's a pretty scummy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Lads I'm not suprised you are a little at odds over Ade. I fight with myself over the big cnut. He helped us out recently but I think he alienated himself by his own actions more than AVB. Maybe AVB should have tried to bring him back in r maybe not. I am delighted Ade helped get us out of a bit of a hole but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Nobody can be sure how he will play in a months time, maybe even he doesn't.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Lads I'm not suprised you are a little at odds over Ade. I fight with myself over the big cnut. He helped us out recently but I think he alienated himself by his own actions more than AVB. Maybe AVB should have tried to bring him back in r maybe not. I am delighted Ade helped get us out of a bit of a hole but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Nobody can be sure how he will play in a months time, maybe even he doesn't.

Absolutely yeah, I loved seeing him out there last night and really hope he feels motivated for the rest of the season. But if he waked up one morning and decides he isn't really arsed with it, no amount of arms round the shoulder will make a bit of difference.

Alex Ferguson wasn't able to handle Roy Keane at the end, does that mean he was a bad manager?

Adebayor was similarly ostracised by Man City. You should be able to see the pattern here, it ain't that complicated.

You've edited my quote to leave out where I said that the part of the interview I found funny was him talking about what a dedicated pro he is. I never said or even implied that anything about his dead brother was hilarious. And what's more, you know I didn't. That's a pretty scummy thing to do.

Roy Keane went on Man United TV to criticse his teammates.

AVB didn't have the luxury of Dzeko, Tevez & Balotelli on the bench.

Fair enough, maybe I misinterpreted your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

He's back!!! :D

• Advertisement

He's back!!! :D

Which one?

What Happens When Emmanuel Adebayor Stops Caring About Tottenham Hotspur?
    BY ALLAN JIANG (TRANSFERS CORRESPONDENT) ON JANUARY 2, 2014

Like hearing the same joke again and again, you already know how Emmanuel Adebayor's time with Tottenham Hotspur will end.

Once his honeymoon period with Spurs manager Tim Sherwood is over, Adebayor will revert back to the professional footballer content with doing as little as possible.

At his best, he is a complete centre forward: poaches goals, heads home crosses from his teammates, registers assists and holds the ball up.

"When he performs as he is at the moment, he's almost unstoppable," Sherwood said, as per BBC Sport. "He just runs all day long, he tries hard for the team."

Without the ball, Adebayor channels his inner Alaixys Romao and scampers around, chopping down opposing players in a fervent attempt to win back possession.

When Adebayor is at his petulant worst, "he's the sort of player who can get managers the sack," who "can throw his toys out of the pram", "a bad apple and you don't want that around your squad."

The aforementioned quotes were Sherwood's view of Dimitar Berbatov—a player with the same Jekyll and Hyde demeanour as Adebayor—in 2008, as per Tom Bryant at The Guardian.

A trait in a good manager is manipulating a player for the betterment of the team, even if the manager secretly harbours doubts over that player.

Sherwood has been smart enough to re-open the door knowing Adebayor desperately wants to put one up on former Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas.

Adebayor has become a necessity in Sherwood's 4-4-2: scoring in a 2-1 League Cup defeat to West Ham United, netting three Premier League goals, including the opener in a 2-1 win over Manchester United, creating a goal in a 3-0 win over Stoke City and putting in six tackles in four games.

If you have closely followed the career of Adebayor, you feel a sense of deja vu.

"I have brought him [Adebayor] into my office 25 times to explain to him that football is a team sport," then Metz manager Jean Fernandez said in 2003, as per BBC Sport. "But this kid still does not understand. I've had enough."

Metz put Adebayor on the transfer market, and Southampton were in pole position for his signature until then Monaco manager Didier Deschamps intervened.

"I was close to signing for Southampton," Adebayor said, as per Patrick Goss at Sky Sports. "I chose Monaco because Deschamps called me to say that he wanted me."

So, what happened next?

"[Adebayor] has enjoyed an impressive start at Monaco, helping Deschamps' side reach the top of the table with a number of inspirational performances," as per Jon Fisher at UEFA.com.

A year later, Adebayor felt the club treated him like a "young player from the academy," as per BBC Sport.

Perhaps, this was an inference to being snubbed by Deschamps, as he opted to sub on Dado Prso and Shabani Nonda during the 3-0 UEFA Champions League final defeat to Porto while Adebayor watched on from the bench.

When Deschamps was replaced by Francesco Guidolin, Adebayor didn't just burn his bridges, he bombed it.

"I felt I was not part of his [Guidolin's] plans," Adebayor said, as per Le Figaro (h/t Sky Sports). "Today, I feel you have to be Italian to be in the starting XI in that team."

Adebayor's blatant insubordination paved a way to Arsenal where he was afforded time to settle in.

Thierry Henry looked at then Togo national team manager Otto Pfister, who was sitting besides Adebayor in the Gunners' dressing room in 2006 and said, as per The Observer: "One day, it won't be me, but this guy [Adebayor]."

During the 2007-08 season, Adebayor vindicated Henry's bold statement to Pfister by scoring 30 goals, but even then, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was worried and foreshadowed Adebayor's decline.

"We have seen players before, when they start getting the recognition, they ease off," Wenger said, as per The Daily Mail. "If you lose that desire, you quickly become a nobody."

Wenger, being the shrewd operator he is, negotiated £25 million from Manchester City for Adebayor, who had followed up his 30-goal haul with 16 goals.

City would have saved themselves a lot of money if they had asked for Theo Walcott's opinion, as per his autobiography:

I thought Adebayor was a fantastic player, but I have to be honest and admit that very occasionally, his attitude let him down.

[He was] laughing and joking with a few people while the rest of us were trying to come to terms with the crushing disappointment of what had just happened [losing 4-1 on aggregate to Manchester United in the 2009 UEFA Champions League semi-finals].

But that was Addy.

When City won 4-2 against Arsenal, Adebayor stomped on Robin van Persie and celebrated a goal by running the length of the pitch to provoke the Arsenal away fans.

Here is what motivated Adebayor, as per Emily Benammar at The Telegraph:

If you were to abuse a man in the street for over an hour, he would react, and it would be a worse reaction than a goal celebration.

There were players from Arsenal who refused to shake my hand before the match.

I could not understand some of the Arsenal players being disrespectful towards me. These are people I have spent a lot of time with and people I thought were my friends.

This passion was temporary, and he did not have the same will to score against other teams in most of City's games.

A season-and-a-half into his £170,000-a-week deal at City, management paid him to go away, sending him on loan to Real Madrid.

He was then loaned to Spurs.

With his career in-limbo, doubts lingering over his future at top-flight level, Arsenal fans revelling over his career slump, Adebayor stepped up.

Harry Redknapp enabled this to happen by treating Adebayor with kid gloves.

He scored 17 league goals, and his incisive passing was spectacular.

He set-up four goals during a 5-0 win over Newcastle United and ended up with 11 league assists during the 2011-12 season.

His output in league play was more than Bayern Munich's Toni Kroos (nine), Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas (eight) and Roma's Francesco Totti (seven).

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy fired Redknapp, ushering in the Andre Villas-Boas era.

Entering Villas-Boas' second campaign, he did not want unprofessional players, such as Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Adebayor.

Source: @AssouEkotto
    Assou-Ekotto was needlessly loaned out to Queens Park Rangers (this came back to haunt Villas-Boas during the club's left-back injury crisis).

While Villas-Boas treated Adebayor with contempt by excluding him in a team photo.

"When I come to train and see the team picture, which I'm not involved in, that shows me a lot of disrespect," Adebayor said, as per BBC Sport. "It was difficult."

Adebayor was banished from training with the first-team, which even prompted his teammate Jermain Defoe to speak out.

"I don't think it helps the team, to be honest," Defoe said, as per Sky Sports. "We will need his goals and what he brings to the team."

What prophetic words.

Villas-Boas evoked the Hyde out of Adebayor.

The current mindset of Adebayor, back to Jekyll, is fueled by proving Villas-Boas wrong.

Once that emotion runs out, what is Sherwood going to do?

Maybe he is in the process of drafting a contingency plan.

"It's a complete lifestyle change. There are so many added pressures," Sherwood said, as per Adrian Kajumba at The Daily Star. "I don't sleep, and when you do, you wake up after two hours thinking about Adebayor. That can't be right. At least it's me and not my missus."

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

Very good post

I didn't realise the pattern went all the way back to Metz

We shouldn't have given him a big long contract, simple as. We got hustled.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

I know it's clutching at straws and it's a big but, but if he keeps playing the way he's been playing we've a serious striker

Great post JobeenFitz

Just pulled this of own of the supporters pages on facebook. I was going to say that you couldnt make it up, but this is from the Daily Mail, so they probably did make it up.:D
    Emmanuel Adebayor Reportedly Banished at Tottenham Due to Beanie Hat
    Andre Villas-Boas' refusal to utilise Emmanuel Adebayor during his last six months at the helm of Tottenham was something that confused many at White Hart Lane, but the reason behind the striker's exile has now been revealed.
    According to the Daily Mail Online's Rik Sharma, it was a beanie hat that split the pair, initiating what would become one of the more obscure divides between a player and his manager i
    n recent memory.
    At the beginning of the season, the Spurs striker walked into a team meeting wearing a hat and Villas-Boas asked him to remove it; a request Adebayor declined.
    Sportsmail understands the pair exchanged heated words and during the argument Villas-Boas vowed not to play the striker

Great post JobeenFitz

Just pulled this of own of the supporters pages on facebook. I was going to say that you couldnt make it up, but this is from the Daily Mail, so they probably did make it up.:D

Hmm, so do you think the beanie hat or the disrespecting the manager was more significant? :rolleyes:

Apparently the beanie hat is an offensive article of clothing in Portugal*

*source Dailymailonline, may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Haha how ridiculous!! You'd wonder why they'd bother making things like these then;

PORTUGAL+BEANIE_l_855.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭abff

SuprSi wrote: »
    Haha how ridiculous!! You'd wonder why they'd bother making things like these then;

PORTUGAL+BEANIE_l_855.jpg

Postmodern irony?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Decided not to show up yesterday, wonder will he bother appearing next Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Decided not to show up yesterday, wonder will he bother appearing next Saturday.
    One of many that didn't show up yesterday in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Brilliant interview with Ade on Sky Sports website. No idea how to post the link. But well worth looking at if someone can link it. It may open a few eyes, it is entitled Shreeves meets Adebayor and is under Video section

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

PVincent wrote: »
    Brilliant interview with Ade on Sky Sports website. No idea how to post the link. But well worth looking at if someone can link it. It may open a few eyes, it is entitled Shreeves meets Adebayor and is under Video section

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/9121047/shreeves-meets-adebayor

There ya go mate!

Some interview, very honest guy. Always had faith in the big man even if he is an ex-Gooner!

Some interview, very honest guy. Always had faith in the big man even if he is an ex-Gooner!

Cant understand how anybody could have always had faith in him. I hope his good form lasts til May.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Would not like anyone to go thro what he has had to endure . Money makes no difference to undergoing the terrifying experience of seeing friends die in your arms.

PVincent wrote: »
    Would not like anyone to go thro what he has had to endure . Money makes no difference to undergoing the terrifying experience of seeing friends die in your arms.

Look this is not in question. What he went through was traumatic. That still doesn't change the fact that he is a lazy mercenary imo. We all want Spurs to finish in the top four this season and if Ade plays to his best it will improve our chances of this happening. So as long as he does what he is more than well paid to do, the fans will give him the respect and maybe even the love he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Look this is not in question. What he went through was traumatic. That still doesn't change the fact that he is a lazy mercenary imo. We all want Spurs to finish in the top four this season and if Ade plays to his best it will improve our chances of this happening. So as long as he does what he is more than well paid to do, the fans will give him the respect and maybe even the love he wants.

Thing is the though I'd say up to 95% of players are mercenaries deep down. Granted he makes little or no effort to hide it but I can certainly understand it. Clubs won't stand by players if they loose it or they wouldn't be long getting a better player in for the right money. Why should the players at the end of the day?

Sure your Paul Scholes of this world are to be admired but if I had the ability to make that kind of money I do think I'd be more like Ade then I'd probably be willing to admit.

ziedth wrote: »
    Thing is the though I'd say up to 95% of players are mercenaries deep down. Granted he makes little or no effort to hide it but I can certainly understand it. Clubs won't stand by players if they loose it or they wouldn't be long getting a better player in for the right money. Why should the players at the end of the day?

Sure your Paul Scholes of this world are to be admired but if I had the ability to make that kind of money I do think I'd be more like Ade then I'd probably be willing to admit.

Yeah I don't think we should complain about football players being mercenaries, as long as they're professional about it.

At times Ade looks like he's happy enough to pick up his wages without earning them.

He's earning them at the moment though and long may that continue.

• Advertisement

He looks to have the same hunger in him that he had in his loan season under HR, when in form he's sensational.

Great super slow mo after Dembele didn't play him in? MOOUUUUUUSSSSSAAAAAAAA!!!:D:D:D

Advertisement