Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adebayor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Playing well, still a joker though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

As Gary Lineker said "Adebayor is the new Adebayor".

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Has he as many goals as soldado now? 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

The man is on fire. Scores 2 and was in the perfect position to score another 2 bar wastefulness/ poor passing from those around him. I bet he would have banged them in too if he had of got those passes. If soldado finds form and adeybayor keeps his they could be a lethal partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

"If we had lost the game it would have ended up in a fight" for anyone that didn't see the post match interview this was adebeyor's reference to dembele failing to square to him.
    For the first time ever I believed the guy, he was deadly serious. Something seems to have clicked with him (for now). If he stays injury free and continues with this new found determination top 4 becomes a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

I thought he went just offside hence making Dembele's mind up for him. Good to see him with an appetite again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Tottenham Hotspur striker Emmanuel Adebayor has revealed how he criticised former Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas in front of team-mates. The Togolese forward was exiled from Villas-Boas's side during a poor run of form which eventually led to the Portuguese's sacking in December.

Adebayor disagreed with Villas-Boas's tactics and says he made his point during a training session. "I told him: 'Your ideas will not help the team'," the 29-year-old said. "I have had a chance to play for a lot of top clubs in my career and I know how it's supposed to be. "I told him one v one and he didn't want to listen, and then I told him in front of the group.

"Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe it was a good one, maybe it was a bad one. I don't know, but I spoke my mind."

The former Arsenal, Manchester City and Real Madrid striker has since returned to the starting line-up under new Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood and scored six goals in 10 matches - a run he puts down to a desire to prove doubters wrong.

"I remember in early September when I went back home and did an interview saying it would not take me long to be the number one striker again in Tottenham, a lot of fans, not everyone, jumped on that [saying] 'Oh, who does he think he is," Adebayor told Sky Sports.

"These are the things that give me more motivation and these are the things that keep me going. "When you wake up and you realise that there are a lot of haters out there and you want to prove them wrong, you just keep focused and keep doing what you love best, which is playing football, scoring goals and having fun."

lol

"I have had a chance to play for a lot of top clubs in my career and I know how it's supposed to be.

is that why every club has fcuked him out over the years ??

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Hatch99 wrote: »
    lol

"I have had a chance to play for a lot of top clubs in my career and I know how it's supposed to be.

is that why every club has fcuked him out over the years ??

I agree with this but I think hoddle hit the nail on the head. He's older, doesn't want his career to be remembered for all that and he just wants to play ball and score goals. If he knuckles down for the rest of his contract he really could be a good player for spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I agree with this but I think hoddle hit the nail on the head. He's older, doesn't want his career to be remembered for all that and he just wants to play ball and score goals. If he knuckles down for the rest of his contract he really could be a good player for spurs

I want to believe this. Just not sure, that's putting it mild. We haven't got much of a plan be B so it looks like we are depending him. At least until the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

4/1 FIRST SCORER TODAY.
    CHOO CHOOOOOOOO.
    SCORED AFTER 40 SECONDS LAST TIME WE PLAYED EVERTON AT HOME...DREW 1-1 THOUGH.:mad:E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Adebayor is a loose cannon no doubt bout that but he is a good forward expecially playing as a lone striker. I wonder where we'd be now if AVB had been better at the man managing part of his job and just played Adebayor?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

4/1 FIRST SCORER TODAY.
    CHOO CHOOOOOOOO.
    SCORED AFTER 40 SECONDS LAST TIME WE PLAYED EVERTON AT HOME...DREW 1-1 THOUGH.:mad:E

did you back him in the bookies today devo?

davycc wrote: »
    did you back him in the bookies today devo?

Yeah, €20.00 ;)

Yeah, €20.00 ;)

Had a tenner on him in the ground, ole ole ole ole
    First bet I've got up at a spurs game in years

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Had a tenner on him in the ground, ole ole ole ole
    First bet I've got up at a spurs game in years

Dont mention it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Have to admit, Ade has surprised me. When he first came back into the team I thought he's score a few goals and then go back to the Ade of old after 4 or 5 games but credit where credit is due, he's still putting in the performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

BgWIiUQCIAEs1-h.png:large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Have to admit, Ade has surprised me. When he first came back into the team I thought he's score a few goals and then go back to the Ade of old after 4 or 5 games but credit where credit is due, he's still putting in the performances.

He looks really focused. It's interesting hearing him interviewed after the games - he's not getting carried away and it seems like the team aren't either. He looks like he's enjoying himself and it's really reflected in his form. It's great having him like this as he's as good a striker as we've had in years. Let's hope he keeps it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I actually think I'm falling in Love with him a little bit. The fact that he can be soooo sh!t when he's not in the mood and then out of the blue almost single handily keep us in the CL hunt makes it all the more special when he is so good.

Hopefully Soldado pulls it out of the bag because his stats alone make me think he's a better player then he has shown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭abff

abff wrote: »
    I have very mixed feelings about Adebayor. On the one hand, he is a hugely talented player who can play to a world class level when he's in the mood. On the other hand, he behaves like a spoiled child from time to time and it can drive you bananas.

I don't know what went on between him and AVB, but there was clearly a serious falling out and with hindsight, this may be seen as a major contributing factor in AVB's demise.

Would I like to see him keep on playing for us and performing like he did on Saturday? Of course I would! Am I confident that he will continue playing to this level when the January transfer window is over? Therein lies the rub.

Funny when you look back at what you said a couple of months previously. I wonder if those words will come back to haunt me.

Funny when you look back at what you said a couple of months previously. I wonder if those words will come back to haunt me.[/QUOTE

You said what a lot of others were thinking, myself included. I'm still wondering how long his great form will last.

I'l be extremely happy if his form lasts til the end of the season and then we sell him to somebody for 150 million pounds. Then we can buy seven players out of the profit.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Funny when you look back at what you said a couple of months previously. I wonder if those words will come back to haunt me.

You said what a lot of others were thinking, myself included. I'm still wondering how long his great form will last.

I'l be extremely happy if his form lasts til the end of the season and then we sell him to somebody for 150 million pounds. Then we can buy seven players out of the profit.

More to the point is where would be now if AVB could have been able to manage whatever problems there were with Adebayor instead of just ignoring them/him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

yiddo59 wrote: »
    More to the point is where would be now if AVB could have been able to manage whatever problems there were with Adebayor instead of just ignoring them/him.

We wouldn't have scored 4 last night with AVB. We'd have a single striker forward with no support, nobody would run forward to follow through when Krul saved and most of our shots would have been from outside the box.

All Spurs fans are happy Ade is scoring goals for us. This does not mean that AVB was wrong. Maybe Ade left him with no choice. I don't know for sure either.

The fact that he is doing his stuff does prove how important he can be and we should try to see what makes him tick and do what we can to keep him ticking.

I for one would like to gloat that I always backed the man to come good!:D:D:D

As SuprSi said, he's as good a striker as we've had in years. The chap was unbelievable under HR, AVB forgot to read the man management manual and TS for all his faults cleaned the slate and gave him an opportunity to prove himself.

I still think many Spurs just suffer from a 'he's an ex-Gooner complex' which he'll probably never shake off.

All Spurs fans are happy Ade is scoring goals for us. This does not mean that AVB was wrong. Maybe Ade left him with no choice. I don't know for sure either.

The fact that he is doing his stuff does prove how important he can be and we should try to see what makes him tick and do what we can to keep him ticking.

AVB was wrong with Adebayor. The best forward at the club and he choose to completely ignore him.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    AVB was wrong with Adebayor. The best forward at the club and he choose to completely ignore him.

You could be right, if he dropped him for no good reason then he was a petty sh1t we are better off without.

Like I already said maybe he gave AVB no choice. Unless you know exactly what happened then your opinion that AVB was wrong is just that, an opinion, a guess.

We could argue about this forever without agreeing unless the facts become known.

You could be right, if he dropped him for no good reason then he was a petty sh1t we are better off without.

Like I already said maybe he gave AVB no choice. Unless you know exactly what happened then your opinion that AVB was wrong is just that, an opinion, a guess.

We could argue about this forever without agreeing unless the facts become known.

If it's facts you want I'll give you 2. Sherwood is managing a very diificult character much better than AVB did. Because of this Spurs are doing very well!

• Advertisement

Consensus seems to be that Adebayor criticised him privately and then did it in front of the team / squad. Perhaps to proud (or arrogant) to reintegrate him into the squad?

Advertisement